COLLEGE STATION, Texas - On the opening day of the 2017 indoor season, the Baylor track and field team had a pair of runner-up finishes at the Texas A&M Team Invitational Friday at Gilliam Indoor Track and Field Stadium.
In the women’s distance medley relay, the BU crew of Alison Andrews-Paul, Kaitlynn Lindsey, Maggie Montoya and Lindsey Bradley posted a time of 11:33.64 for second place behind Texas (11:33.55) and ahead of Texas A&M (11:33.89).
Jordan West was the lone individual competitor on the day, placing second in the 5,000-meters with a time of 15:12.38.
The men’s distance medley crew of Matthew Parham, Robert Dutton, Brandon Moore and TJ Sugg finished fourth with a time of 10:10.10, which is only 3.43 seconds slower than the time BU ran at last year’s Big 12 Indoor Championship.
• Baylor’s top women’s DMR time was faster than the previous meet record time (11:35.49) held by BU’s 2014 crew of Maggie Montoya, Katie Grovatt, Mariah Kelly and Rachel Johnson.
• After not running track in 2016, Jordan West’s time is just under six seconds away from his personal best in the indoor 5K (15:06.39), which was set at the 2015 Texas A&M Team Invitational.
• With 14 points scored the men are in second place, while the women with eight points are fourth in the team scored meet.
“It was a very good opening evening. We got some very nice things accomplished with the three DMRs that we ran and Jordan ran a very nice opener in the 5k.” - head coach Todd Harbour on the first day of competition
On Saturday, the action at the Texas A&M Team Invitational will continue with field events beginning at noon and track prelims starting at 12:30 p.m. The finals for track events will start at 2 p.m.
Live results from the competition can be accessed on BaylorBears.com with a full recap to follow. SEC Network + will have coverage of the Saturday events, which is available digitally on the WatchESPN app.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE FRIDAY BAYLOR RESULTS
2. Jordan West (SO), 15:12.38*
Distance Medley Relay
2. Baylor (Alison Andrews-Paul, Kaitlynn Lindsey, Maggie Montoya, Lindsey Bradley) - 11:33.64*
6. Baylor (Anna West, Emma Bakke, Gabby Satterlee, Sydney Gandy) - 12:26.66*
4. Baylor (Matthew Parham, Robert Dutton, Brandon Moore, TJ Sugg) - 10:10.10*
*- Finish based off of time only vs. other athletes competing in Texas A&M Team Invitational, while race was also run with athletes from teams entered in the Texas A&M Aggie Invitational.