Jan. 17, 2014
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Baylor's track and field team tallied one title and two runner-up finishes in four races contested on Friday at the Texas A&M 10-Team Invitational at Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium.
Baylor's women's distance medley relay squad of Maggie Montoya, Katie Grovatt, Mariah Kelly and Rachel Johnson took first in the opening event. The quartet produced a meet record time of 11:35.49, which was the fastest mark for a Lady Bear DMR crew since March 2, 2012.
On the men's side, the distance medley relay team of Jonathan Tijerina, TJ Holmes, Greg Bostick and Derwin Graham finished in 10:11.79 to place second.
Individually, Matt Galvin took second in the 5,000 meters with a time of 14:52.74. Galvin's result will go down as a first-place finish and he will earn 10 points for the Bears in the team competition as the only person to beat him was an athlete from Stephen F. Austin, who will not be part of Saturday's 10-team field.
Running in her first 5,000-meter race on the track, Sarah Guhl placed sixth with a time of 18:40.20.
- Baylor women's DMR squad clocked a time (11:35.49) faster than any time recorded last season.
- Baylor's men's DMR team was nearly five seconds faster than the time it tallied at last year's opening meet (2013: 10:16.20 vs. 2014: 10:11.79)
- Matt Galvin ran in his first race in a meet since March 22, 2013.
- Galvin was just .63 seconds off his personal-best time in the indoor 5K event.
STAT OF THE DAY
1.20 seconds - Galvin beat SFA's Jeffery Weisheit by that margin to finish as the runner-up in the 5K race.
TOP QUOTE #1
"It was a good opener for us. It was good to get the cobwebs shook off. The women's DMR ran really well and so did the guys. I am proud of them." - head coach Todd Harbour
TOP QUOTE #2
"Matt Galvin hadn't run in over eight months, so it was good to see him back on the track. He did a really good job and so did Sarah (Guhl)." - Harbour on the individual performances
TWEET OF THE DAY
Baylor returns to action at the Texas A&M 10-Team Invitational on Saturday with field events beginning at noon and running finals slated to start at 2 p.m.
A live web stream of the meet and live results can be accessed on BaylorBears.com with a full recap to follow the competition.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
6. Sarah Guhl (JR), 18:40.20*
1. Matt Galvin (JR), 14:52.74*
Distance Medley Relay
1. Baylor (Maggie Montoya, Katie Grovatt, Mariah Kelly, Rachel Johnson), 11:35.49
2. Baylor (Jonathan Tijerina, TJ Holmes, Greg Bostick, Derwin Graham), 10:11.79
*- Finish based off of time vs. other athletes competing in Texas A&M 10-Team Invitational.