Jan. 18, 2014
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - For a third consecutive year, Baylor's men's and women's track and field teams both placed second at the season-opening Texas A&M 10-Team Invitational that wrapped up on Saturday.
Competing for the second straight day at Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium, Baylor got two individual event wins to go along with the women's distance medley relay crown that was claimed on Friday evening.
Senior Erin Atkinson opened her final indoor campaign by bettering her own meet record to win the weight throw competition with a heave of 65-1.5 [19.85m]. She currently ranks 11th in the NCAA with her meet-winning throw. Atkinson also won the event last season with a then-meet record throw of 19.29m.
Baylor's other event win came from junior Rachel Johnson in the mile. Johnson, an All-Region performer in cross country, made the transition back to the track look easy by leading from start to finish and setting a personal-best time of 4:51.13. That mark is currently 10th-best in the NCAA.
BU also had a total of eight runner-up finishes, including four second-place finishes from freshman.
In her first collegiate meet, freshman Annie Rhodes set the school record in the pole vault with a jump of 13-2.5 [4.03m].
Freshman Trayvon Bromell placed second in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.66, which is currently fifth-best in the country.
Fellow freshman Alex Davis carded a time of 9:50.82 to be second in the 3,000-meters as the All-Big 12 cross country performer also impressed on the track.
Raena Rhone (54.89) and George Caddick (46.73) both finished as runner-ups in the 400 meters. Caddick's time is fourth-best nationally and he was one of three Bears in the top five as Karrie Butler took fourth (48.21) and Isaiah Duke (48.41) was fifth.
Bryce Grace tallied a personal-best in the 60-meter hurdles of 7.98 in the prelims and then backed that up with an 8.02 in the finals to post a second-place finish.
Sophomore Brianna Richardson recorded a personal-best leap of 19-1.5 [5.83m] in the long jump to be second overall.
BU's final runner-up finish came in the women's 4x400-meter relay. Michelle Nwachukwu, Alyssa Nichols, Tiffani McReynolds and Raena Rhone posted a time of 3:42.82.
In all, Baylor tallied 91.50 points on the men's side, while the women garnered 120.0 points.
- Annie Rhodes bettered the previous school-record mark of 12-6 [3.81m] set by Kaleigh Teel set in 2008.
- Trayvon Bromell's 6.66 time in 60-meter dash was fastest for BU male since Woodrow Randall recorded a 6.60 in March of 2011.
- Baylor athletes established 11 new collegiate personal bests.
STAT OF THE DAY
.02 seconds - Bromell's 60-meter dash time of 6.66 was .02 seconds faster than any 60-meter time recorded by a BU male athlete last season.
TWEET OF THE DAY
TOP QUOTE #1
"I thought we had a really, really good meet. We had close to 20 personal-best, which is outstanding. There are always areas where we can improve. We are not where we want to be, but it was good to see some of our young ones step up and perform." - head coach Todd Harbour
Baylor's men's and women's teams will take part in the Rod McCravy Invite in Lexington, Ky., next weekend on Friday and Saturday.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
5. Tiffani McReynolds (SR), 7.56q
6. Kehri Jones (SO), 7.60q (personal best)
4. Tiffani McReynolds (SR), 7.50
6. Kehri Jones (SO), 7.61
2. Trayvon Bromell (FR), 6.70q
10. Alex Reece (SO), 6.94
2. Trayvon Bromell (FR), 6.66 (Tied for fifth in NCAA)
15. Kehri Jones (SO), 24.78 (personal best)
16. Alyssa Nichols (SR), 24.82 (personal best)
30. Sheridan Stokes (FR), 27.65
5. Blake Heriot (SR), 21.30
10. Alex Reece (SO), 21.68
2. Raena Rhone (JR), 54.89 (eighth in NCAA)
6. Michelle Nwachukwu, (SR), 56.21
18. Katie Grovatt (FR), 59.14
2. George Caddick (FR), 46.73 (fourth in NCAA)
4. Karrie Butler (JR), 48.21
5. Isaiah Duke (SO), 48.41
4. Mariah Kelly (JR), 2:11.96
7. Kristina Brown (SR), 2:14.83 (personal-best)
10. Meredith Jackson (SO), 2:17.75
12. Jessica Purtell (FR), 2:18.66
10. Greg Bostick (SO), 1:55.71
19. Jesse Brooks (SO), 1:59.63
1. Rachel Johnson (JR), 4:51.13 (personal best and 10th in NCAA)
6. Maggie Montoya (FR), 4:54.10
4. Jonathan Tijerina (JR), 4:16.74
8. Derwin Graham (JR), 4:19.72 (personal best)
10. Chris McElroy (FR), 4:20.71
2. Alex Davis (FR), 9:50.82
4. Peyton Thomas (FR), 9:59.94
4. Brad Miles (SR), 8:35.89
8. Jordan West (FR), 8:44.27
16. Blake Bostick (FR), 9:10.01
2. Taije Jordan (SO), 8.53q (personal best)
7. Dannielle Davis (SO), 8.82q
15. Jessica Shadley (JR), 9.26
3. Taije Jordan (SO), 8.54
6. Dannielle Davis (SO), 8.85
2. Bryce Grace (SO), 7.98q (personal best)
6. Rhys Phillips (FR), 8.30q
2. Bryce Grace (SO), 8.02
5. Rhys Phillips (FR), 8.23
2. Baylor (Michelle Nwachukwu, Alyssa Nichols, Tiffani McReynolds, Raena Rhone), 3:42.82
10. Baylor (Calesia Henson, Katie Grovatt, Kristina Brown, Jessica Purtell), 3:52.88
3. Baylor (Blake Heriot, Karrie Butler, Isaiah Duke, George Caddick ), 3:08.99
8. Baylor (TJ Holmes, Brandon Moore, Keenan Gibson, Greg Bostick ), 3:18.22
6. Lauren Cook (JR), 5-6.0 [1.68m] (personal best)
9. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO), 5-4.25 [1.63m]
t-6. Hayden Loudenslager (SR), 6-4.25 [1.94m]
2. Annie Rhodes (FR), 13-2.5 [4.03m] (school record and 13th nationally)
8. Rebbeca Luedeker (SR), 10-9 [3.28m]
-- Kim Parr (JR), NH
4. Chase Hood (FR), 15-0.0 [4.57m]
2. Brianna Richardson (SO), 19-1.5 [5.83m] (personal best)
12. Justine Charbonnet (SR), 17-5.25 [5.31m]
15. Carly Grandcolas (FR), 16-7.25 [5.06m]
23. Sheridan Stokes (FR), 15-3.5 [4.66m]
3. Felix Obi (SO), 24-1.75 [7.36m]
11. Rhys Phillips (FR), 22-7.0 [6.88m]
5. Kaitlin West (JR), 39-5.25 [12.02m] (personal best)
5. Cion Hicks (FR), 49-3.0 [15.01m]
17. Lauren Rover (SR), 33-0.5 [10.07m]
19. Jessica Shadley (SR), 30-0.0 [9.14m]
1. Erin Atkinson (SR), 65-1.5 [19.85m] (meet record and 11th in NCAA)