Jan. 25, 2014
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Baylor track and field's Felix Obi made his season debut in the triple jump count. With his first jump of the day, 53-2.75 [16.22m], the sophomore broke his own school record, established the country's second-best mark and claimed the event title at the Rod McCravy Memorial meet on Saturday at Nutter Field House.
Senior Tiffani McReynolds also had a strong season debut in her signature event, placing second in the 60-meter hurdles in 8.05. That mark is the fifth-best in school history and currently second in the country. In the white division of the 60-meter hurdle event, sophomore Taije Jordan notched a personal best for the second straight week with a time of 8.45 to be fourth.
Baylor's women's triple jumpers also had a good day as Brianna Richardson and Kaitlin West both established personal bests in the event. Richardson placed second with a leap of 43-0.5 [13.12m] and West was third, posting a mark of 41-0.25 [12.50m].
In the sprints, freshman Trayvon Bromell established a new personal-best with a time of 6.65 at the 60-meter distance to take third. Bromell improved on his time from last week's meet by .01 seconds to tally the ninth-best time in the country this season. In the white division of the 60-meters, Bromell's teammate, Alex Reece was third in 6.86.
In her first meet of the year, sophomore Olicia Williams took fourth in the 800-meters in 2:09.81. Mariah Kelly established a personal best of 4:46.62 in the mile to be fifth. At the 3,000-meter distance Rachel Johnson (9:22.58) clocked a personal-best time and the 10th-fastest mark in school history to be third.
- Felix Obi now owns the top five marks in the triple jump in school history.
- Kehri Jones tied her personal best with a time of 7.60 to be sixth the 60-meters.
- Baylor athletes established 11 new collegiate personal bests on the day.
STAT OF THE DAY
1-1.25 [.34m] - The improvement for triple jumper Brianna Richardson over her previous personal best.
TWEET OF THE DAY
"SCHOOL-RECORD & EVENT CHAMPION: Felix Obi wins triple jump with leap of 53-2.75 [16.22m]"- @BaylorTrack
TOP QUOTE #1
"I think that was one of our best overall indoor invitationals ever, just in terms of personal bests. It was a great day for our triple jumpers, especially Felix (Obi) with the school record. It was good to see Tiffani (McReynolds) open strong in the 60-hurdles. We will get back to work next week and work hard in practice with the off weekend upcoming." - head coach Todd Harbour
The Bears will take next week off, before heading back to College Station, Texas, for the Texas A&M Aggie Invitational on Feb. 7-8.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
4. Alex Reece (SO), 6.90q
11. Bryce Grace (SO), 7.20
3. Alex Reece (SO), 6.86
7. Raena Rhone (JR), 54.43 (14th nationally)
18. Michelle Nwachukwu (SR), 56.78
4. George Caddick (FR), 46.97
5. Blake Heriot (SR), 47.01
12. Karrie Butler (JR), 47.92
15. Timothy Holmes (FR), 48.11
20. Isaiah Duke (SO), 48.78
4. Olicia Williams (SO), 2:09.81
11. Meredith Jackson (SO), 2:15.35 (personal best)
14. Kristina Brown (SR), 2:16.17
10. Greg Bostick (SO), 1:56.78
11. Randy Dias II (FR), 1:56.82
5. Mariah Kelly (JR), 4:46.62 (personal best)
9. Maggie Montoya (FR), 4:53.54 (personal best)
17. Chris McElroy (FR), 4:18.17 (personal best)
19. Jonathan Tijerina (JR), 4:18.97
3. Rachel Johnson (JR), 9:22.58 (personal best and 10th-best in school history)
38. Derwin Graham (JR), 8:51.96
60 Hurdles - Blue
3. Tiffani McReynolds (SR), 8.18q
2. Tiffani McReynolds (SR), 8.05 (fifth-best in school history and second nationally)
11. Rhys Phillips (FR), 8.32
60 Hurdles - White
4. Taije Jordan (SO), 8.54q
9. Dannielle Davis (SO), 8.84
4. Taije Jordan (SO), 8.45 (personal best)
9. Bryce Grace (SO), 8.19
4. Baylor (Alyssa Nichols, Olicia Williams, Michelle Nwachukwu, Raena Rhone), 3:39.55
10. Baylor (Justise Dayries, Kristina Brown, Meredith Jackson, Kehri Jones), 3:51.12
2. Baylor (Blake Heriot, Karrie Butler, TJ Holmes, George Caddick), 3:08.39
11. Baylor (Isaiah Duke, Alex Reece, Keenan Gibson, Greg Bostick), 3:17.65
2. Brianna Richardson (SO), 43-0.5 [13.12m] (personal best and third-best nationally)
3. Kaitlin West (JR), 41-0.25 [12.50m] (personal best)
1. Felix Obi (SO), 53-2.75 [16.22m].(school record and second nationally)
25. Chase Hood (FR), 14-8.0 [4.47m]
8. Cion Hicks (FR), 48-9.0 [14.86m]