Jan. 29, 2011
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Baylor’s track and field team turned in solid performances on the second day of action at the Razorback Invitational on Saturday at the Randal Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville, Ark.
“We had some good, solid performances this weekend on both sides,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “We have to keep getting better and keep improving as we move through the year. As a team, we have some things to work before we go to New York and for conference. It was great to see some outstanding performances out of Jessica in the triple jump and Tiffani in the hurdles again.”
For the women, freshman Tiffani McReynolds set a Baylor record in the 60-meter hurdles for the fourth time in her six races at the distance. She started the day with a second-ranked qualifying time of 8.33, then dropped her time to 8.26 in the final to finish as the event’s runner-up. McReynolds mark ranks as the eighth-best in the NCAA this season.
Baylor’s men’s 4x400-meter relay team returned to solid form with a second-place time of 3:07.88. The squad of Zwede Hewitt, Whitney Prevost, James Gilreath and Marcus Boyd held tough at the top, but an inadvertent bump on the backstretch created just enough of a gap for Iowa to hold on.
Junior jumper Jessica Ubanyionwu extended her personal-best with a top-five national mark of 43-2.25 in the triple jump. That mark earned her a third-place finish, only one inch out of first place at the meet.
The Baylor women also had top-five finishes at the meet from freshman Robyn Bennett, junior Sam Patty and senior Leigh Ann Ganzar in the middle and long distances. Bennett cracked the five-minute barrier in the mile to place third in a time of 4:59.62, while Patty set a personal best of 9:58.59 in the 3,000 meters to place third as well. Ganzar turned in a fourth-place finish, narrowly missing her personal best, with a time of 2:11.62.
For the men, Gavyn Nero faced a tough field in the Invitational section of the 800 meters, finishing ninth with a solid time of 1:50.44. Zwede Hewitt turned in a 400-meter time of 47.41 in his first race of the season to place fifth overall in the event.
Also finishing in the top 10 in their respective events for the men were Woodrow Randall and Whitney Prevost running identical 60-meter times of 6.79, along with Ben Allen, who placed ninth in the mile with a personal-best of 4:19.80.
The Baylor track and field teams will travel to New York City next weekend for the two-day New Balance Invitational on Feb. 4-5 at the Armory Track Center.
SATURDAY’S BAYLOR RESULTS
Women’s 60 Meters
2. Tiffany Townsend (SR), 7.38
11. Brittany Carr (SR), 7.70
Men’s 60 Meters
9. Woodrow Randall (JR), 6.79
10. Whitney Prevost (SR), 6.79
Women’s 400 Meters
24. Brittany Bruce (SR), 56.20
26. Lynette Atkinson (SO), 56.63
31. Michelle Nwachukwu (FR), 57.74
Men’s 400 Meters
5. Zwede Hewitt (JR), 47.41
17. Joe Barb (SO), 48.92
18. Gabriel El Hanbli (FR), 49.06
21. Dennis Scruggs (JR), 49.14
27. Chad Rozean (FR), 50.10
Women’s 800 Meters
4. Leigh Ann Ganzar (SR), 2:11.62
7. Lizzy Whitney (SO), 2:13.89
12. Ivorie Walker (SO), 2:18.24
17. Kristina Brown (FR), 2:23.83
Women’s 800 Meters (Invite Section)
15. Brittany OgunMokun (SO), 2:11.91
Men’s 800 Meters
11. Logan Roberts (SR), 1:55.63
14. Philip Raaf (JR), 1:56.99
Men’s 800 Meters (Invite Section)
9. Gavyn Nero (SO), 1:50.44
3. Robyn Bennett (FR), 4:59.62
9. Kristen Hanselka (JR), 5:07.16
9. Ben Allen (SO), 4:19.80
12. Brad Miles (FR), 4:23.30
Women’s 3,000 Meters
3. Samantha Patty (JR), 9:58.59
Men’s 3,000 Meters
10. Bradley Miles (FR), 8:43.36
Men’s 3,000 Meters (Invite Section)
23. Robbie Knorr (SR), 8:32.20
Women’s 60-Meter Hurdles
2. Tiffani McReynolds (FR), 8.33
15. Vanessa Samuel (SO), 10.41
2. Tiffani McReynolds (FR), 8.26 (BU School Record, 8th best in NCAA in 2011)
Women’s Triple Jump
3. Jessica Ubayionwu (JR), 43-2.25 (4th best in NCAA in 2011)
8. Hunter Brook (FR), 4,419
10. Henry Vildosola (FR), 4,046