Feb. 4, 2017
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - After taking a weekend off from competition, the Baylor track and field teams returned to action by winning seven events and putting up six top-20 national marks at the Charlie Thomas Invitational Saturday.
Inside the Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium, the Bears saved their best performance for last. With four legs under 46.79, the crew of Wil London, Max Willis, Caleb Dickson and George Caddick produced a win in the 4x400-meter relay in a season-best time of 3:06.08. The Bears led throughout the race, but Dickson opened up the advantage with a 46.62 split and Caddick sealed the deal with a 45.98 anchor. The time is fourth-best in the NCAA this season.
The Bears swept the 400-meter titles on the day as newcomer Leticia De Souza captured a win with the sixth-fastest quartermile time in BU history at 52.93. The Brazilian led throughout the race and closed even better to win the event by nearly a second. Meanwhile on the men's side, Caddick stayed perfect in 2017 winning his second-straight quartermile race in College Station. The senior Bear rolled to a 46.61 time to outpace teammate Wil London, who was second in 47.08. De Souza's mark is seventh-best in the NCAA, while Caddick's is ninth.
Cion Hicks also won for the second time in two tries at Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium. The senior dominated the shot put competition, winning with a best attempt of 54-9.25 [16.69m], which is currently 12th-best in the NCAA.
Annie Rhodes won her second-straight pole vault competition, clearing 14-0 [4.27m] to lock up another title for the Bears. That mark is seventh-best in school history.
The BU women racked up big points in the middle distance events as they got wins in the 800 meters (Alison Andrews-Paul, 2:07.98) and the mile (Maggie Montoya, 4:42.06). Both time were season bests for the pair of Bears.
In the 4x400-meter relay, BU's women, Aaliyah Miller, Kiana Hawn, Victoria Powell and De Souza almost came-from-behind for the title, but finished second with the sixth-fastest time in school history at 3:33.63. In the triple jump, Brianna Richardson was also a runner-up. The senior recorded her best jump on her second attempt, 41-1.5 [12.53m] to move into first, but was passed on the final attempt by one inch.
Running in her first 200-meter race of 2017, sophomore Taylor Bennett placed third in a time of 23.46, which is currently 17th-best in NCAA.
Baylor's women finish second with 123 points and 5 event wins, while the men took fourtth with 69 points.
"I thought today was a good meet for us overall. Sometimes after a week off of competition and some hard training your legs are a little tired, but we came out and got some good things done. We are set up to continue building to be a better conference and national team." - head coach Todd Harbour on the meet
The majority of Bears will now head north to Fayetteville, Ark., to take part in the Tyson Invitational, Feb. 10-11. Meanwhile on the same days a select group of middle distance and distance runners will head to the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa to run on the same track where the conference meet will be held.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
22. Juanita Mainoo (JR), 7.77
29. Xianni Simmons (FR), 8.11
32. Eva Morrison (SO), 8.44
-- Taylor Bennett (SO), FS
4. Malik Wilson (JR), 6.85q
14. Ian Braxton (FR), 7.05
16. Cody Cunningham (SO), 7.08
5. Malik Wilson (JR), 6.86
3. Taylor Bennett (SO), 23.46 (currently 17th in NCAA)
8. Kiana Horton (SO), 23.86 (personal best)
21. Juanita Mainoo (JR), 24.37 (personal best)
29. Jhane' King (FR), 25.13
42. Xianni Simmons (FR), 26.85
3. Max Willis (FR), 21.17
6. Antwuan Musgrove (SO), 21.48 (personal best)
16. Ian Braxton (FR), 21.89 (season best)
20. Cody Cunningham (SO), 22.03 (season best)
-- Malik Wilson (JR), DNS
1. Leticia De Souza (JR), 52.93 (6th-best in BU history & currently 7th in NCAA)
4. Kiana Hawn (JR), 54.60
5. Aaliyah Miller (FR), 54.82
7. Victoria Powell (FR), 55.10 (season best)
17. Kaitlynn Lindsey (JR), 57.74 (personal best)
22. Emma Bakke (FR), 59.76
24. Taylor Houston (SR), 1:00.39
1. George Caddick (SR), 46.61 (season best & currently 9th in NCAA)
2. Wil London (SO), 47.08 (season best & currently 19th in NCAA)
11. Caleb Dickson (SO), 48.16
13. Zac Curran (SR), 48.28
18. Niko Harrell (FR), 49.23
19. Antwuan Musgrove (SO), 49.29 (personal best)
22. Robert Dutton (JR), 49.74 (personal best)
1. Alison Andrews-Paul (FR), 2:07.98 (season best)
3. Gabby Satterlee (FR), 2:11.14
4. Jessica Purtell (JR), 2:12.03
14. Sydney Gandy (FR), 2:21.25
16. Danny Leland (SO), 1:54.09 (personal best)
20. TJ Sugg (FR), 1:55.42
22. Brandon Moore (SR), 1:57.92
1. Maggie Montoya (SR), 4:42.06 (season best)
4. Anna West (FR), 4:49.69 (season best
-- Gabby Satterlee (FR), DNF
5. TJ Sugg (FR) - 4:10.16 (personal best)
16. Matthew Parham (SO) - 4:25.48
4. Jordan West (JR), 8:30.35 (personal best)
6. Sam Sahli (JR), 8:33.11 (personal best)
9. Seth Brown (FR), 8:46.58 (personal best
-- Matt Parham (SO), --
16. Eva Morrison (SO) - 9.75 (personal best)
11. Chase Hood (SR), 8.64 (personal best)
-- Rhys Phillips (SR), DNS
2. Baylor A (Aaliyah Miller, Kiana Hawn, Victoria Powell, Leticia De Souza), 3:33.63 (6th in BU history and currently 10th best in NCAA)
7. Baylor B (Jhane' King, Alison Andrews-Paul, Kaitlynn Lindsey, Jessica Purtell), 3:45.43
1. Baylor A (Wil London, Max Willis, Caleb Dickson, George Caddick), 3:06.08 (season best and currently 4th-best in NCAA)
7. Baylor B (Niko Harrell, Brandon Moore, Danny Leland, Zac Curran), 3:13.99
5. Alex Lord (SO), 5-4.25 [1.63m]
-- Carly Grandcolas (SR), DNS
-- Abena Ofori (SO), DNS
5. Blaine Listach (SO), 6-6.75 [2.04m] (season best)
1. Annie Rhodes (SR), 14-0 [4.27m]
-- Elizabeth Armstrong (SO), NH
4. Chase Hood (SR), 15-7.75 [4.77m]
5. Ryan Womack (SO), 15-7.75 [4.77m]
9. Greyson Gonzalez (SO), 14-10 [4.52m]
-- Reed Rightmer (JR), NH
8. Jacinta Fisher (FR) - 17-11.75 [5.48m] (season best)
2. Brianna Richardson (SR), 41-1.5 [12.53m]
5. Rachel Toliver (SR), 40-2.75 [12.26m]
8. Jacinta Fisher (FR), 37-1 [11.30m]
1. Cion Hicks (SR), 54-9.25 [16.69m] (season best & currently 12th-best in NCAA)
19. Amani Dotson (SO), 31-3 [9.52m] (personal best)
-- Carly Grandcolas (SR) - DNS
18. Chase Hood (SR), 36-9 [11.20m]
12. Michelle Campa (SO), 45-1 [13.74m] (personal best)