Feb. 7, 2014
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Competing in their first meet of the season, Baylor track and field heptathletes Hunter Brook and Henry Vildosola headlined BU's first day of action at the Texas A&M Aggie Invitational on Friday at Gilliam Indoor Stadium.
Through four events, Brook (3,004 pts.) and Vildosola (2,935 pts.) are sitting first and second overall.
Brook set personal-bests in the 60 meters (7.41) and shot put (43-10.75 [13.38]), while Vildosola had PRs in all four events contested on the day, including the 60 meters (7.28), long jump (22-2.25 [6.76m]), shot put (43-3.75 [13.20m]) and high jump (6-2.75 [1.90m]).
In the pentathlon competition, Jenna Pfeiffer set a personal-best with 3,478 points to place fifth. She improved on her previous personal mark by one point, which she set at the season-opening Texas A&M 10-Team Invitational in January. Pfeiffer set personal-bests in the 60 hurdles (9.37) and tied another in the high jump (5-5.0 [1.65m]) to achieve the total point PR.
Individually, Brad Miles took fourth in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 14:50.01.
- Baylor currently stands in third place in both the men's and women's team standings with 13 points in the men's competition and 14 on the women's side.
- Baylor's three runners in the women's 5,000 meters all set personal bests, including Erika Overbeck (18:12.37), Sarah Guhl (18:12.81) and Lauren Hierholzer (18:15.04).
STAT OF THE DAY
4 - the number of personal-bests that Henry Vildosola set through four events of the heptathlon.
TOP QUOTE #1
"It was a very good day for our multi groups. We also had a couple good PRs in the 5,000." - head coach Todd Harbour
Baylor returns to action at the Texas A&M Aggie Invitational on Saturday with the conclusion of the heptathlon at 11 a.m. with running events starting at 12:30 p.m. and field events getting underway at 1 p.m. Running event finals begin at 2 p.m.
A live web stream of the meet and live results can be accessed on BaylorBears.com with a full recap to follow the competition.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
7. Erika Overbeck (JR), 18:12.37 (personal best)
8. Sarah Guhl (JR), 18:12.81 (personal best)
9. Lauren Hierholzer (JR), 18:15.04 (personal best)
4. Brad Miles (SR), 14:50.01
6. JR Hardy (SO), 14:53.53
7. Kyle Scanlan (SO), 14:54.74
-- Matt Galvin (JR), DNS
Distance Medley Relay
6. Baylor (Kristina Brown, Calesia Henson, Maggie Montoya, Alex Davis), 12:09.30
7. Baylor (Jonathan Tijerina, Brandon Moore, Greg Bostick, Chris McElroy), 10:23.62
Heptathlon (through four events)
1. Hunter Brook (SR), 3,004
2. Henry Vildosola (SR), 2,935
5. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO), 3,478 (personal best)
6. Jessica Shadley (SR), 3,461
9. Lauren Rover (SR), 3,175
11. Sheridan Stokes (FR), 2,926
12. Carlyn Grandcolas (FR), 2,818