Feb. 8, 2014
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Baylor's track and field team racked up three event wins on Saturday at the Texas A&M Aggie Invitational at the Gilliam Indoor Stadium.
In the conclusion of the heptathlon competition, senior Hunter Brook established a school record of 5,154 points to take the title. Fellow senior Henry Vildosola recorded the second-highest point total in school history (5,128) to place second. Both point totals bettered the previous school record of Eric Bostick, who had tallied 5,017 points at the 2012 Big 12 Indoor Championships.
BU's next event win came from freshman Trayvon Bromell, who tied a personal-best (6.65) in the 60-meter dash to win the event by .01. He currently has the second-best time in the Big 12 in the event and the 13th-fatest in the nation. Bromell also took fifth in the 200 meters with a personal-best time of 21.22. That mark is currently fourth-best in the Big 12.
Leading from start to finish, Rachel Johnson claimed BU's final event title as she set a personal-best in the mile taking the event title in 4:49.63.
On the women's side in the 60-meter dash, Kehri Jones posted a career-best time of 7.52 to take third.
On the men's side, freshman George Caddick took fourth in the 400 meters with a time of 46.78.
Baylor was solid in the field events as well. Freshman Annie Rhodes took second in the pole vault. She cleared 13-0.75 [3.98m] to notch the third-best jump in school history. She also owns the program's top-two marks of all-time.
Sophomore Felix Obi got out to a quick start recording his longest jump of the day (23-11.50 [7.30m]) on his first attempt in the long jump to take third overall.
Freshman Cion Hicks posted a mark of 47-10.0 [14.58m] to be third in the shot put.
On her final throw of the day, senior Erin Atkinson recorded a throw of 63-4.25 [19.31m] to be fourth in the competition.
- Baylor finished fourth in the women's team competition with 88 points, while the men were also fourth with 64 points.
- To win the heptathlon, Hunter Brook set a personal-best in the 60-hurdles with a time of 8.74.
- Henry Vildosola set a PR in the pole vault with a leap of 13-9.25 [4.20m].
- Kehri Jones has set a PR in the 60-meter dash in all three meets this year.
- Baylor had eight personal bests on Saturday.
STAT OF THE DAY
3 - the number of events Baylor won on Saturday at the Texas A&M Invitational.
TOP QUOTE #1
"It was a solid team finish, but it definitely wasn't our best meet of the year. We have to do better the next couple weeks as we prepare for the Big 12 meet. However, we had some great individual performances with Trayvon winning the 60 meters, Rachel taking the mile and Hunter setting a school record." - head coach Todd Harbour
Baylor will compete in its final regular season competition of the indoor season with a trip to Fayetteville, Ark., for the Tyson Invitational, Feb. 14-15.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
1. Trayvon Bromell (FR), 6.67q
9. Alex Reece (SO), 6.84
27. Bryce Grace (SO), 7.23
1. Trayvon Bromell (FR), 6.65 (ties personal best)
17. Kehri Jones (SO), 24.75
18. Justise Dayries (SO), 24.77
22. Alyssa Nichols (SR), 24.96
5. Trayvon Bromell (FR), 21.22 (personal best)
10. Blake Heriot (SR), 21.50
20. Alex Reece (SO), 22.03
31. Rhys Phillips (FR), 23.08
17. Michelle Nwachukwu, (SR), 57.04
18. Calesia Henson (SR), 57.76
22. Katie Grovatt (FR), 59.77
-- Raena Rhone (JR), DNS
4. George Caddick (FR), 46.78
9. Karrie Butler (JR), 47.89
15. Isaiah Duke (SO), 48.44
24. Keenan Gibson (FR), 50.52
-- Richard Gary (SO), DNS
-- TJ Holmes (FR), DNS
2. Olicia Williams (SO), 2:08.26
4. Mariah Kelly (JR), 2:09.43 (personal best)
12. Kristina Brown (SR), 2:15.45
17. Meredith Jackson (SO), 2:17.91
18. Jessica Purtell (FR), 2:17.99
11. Greg Bostick (SO), 1:55.33
25. Randy Dias II (FR), 2:00.14
26. Jesse Brooks (SO), 2:00.39
1. Rachel Johnson (JR), 4:49.63 (personal best)
6. Alex Davis (FR), 5:02.42
8. Peyton Thomas (FR), 5:07.55
13. Derwin Graham (JR), 4:17.75
21. Jonathan Tijerina (JR), 4:22.60
25. Jordan West (FR), 4:27.96
26. Blake Bostick (FR), 4:28.09
27. Chris McElroy (SO), 4:28.11
2. Maggie Montoya (FR), 9:41.68 (personal best)
4. Peyton Thomas (FR), 10:05.45
8. Jordan West (FR), 8:54.42
5. Taije Jordan (SO), 8.52q
17. Dannielle Davis (SO), 8.92
8. Taije Jordan (SO), 8.58
6. Bryce Grace (SO), 8.29q
7. Rhys Phillips (FR), 8.29q
7. Bryce Grace (SO), 8.21
-- Rhys Phillips (FR), DNS
6. Baylor (Alyssa Nichols, Tiffani McReynolds, Olicia Williams, Michelle Nwachukwu), 3:42.69
13. Baylor (Calesia Henson, Justise Dayries, Meredith Jackson, Kristina Brown), 3:54.37
3. Baylor (Blake Heriot, George Caddick, Karrie Butler, Isaiah Duke ), 3:09.07
8. Baylor (Richard Gary, Brandon Moore, Randy Dias II, Keenan Gibson), 3:19.70
6. Lauren Cook (JR), 5-5.25 [1.66m]
t-7. Kaylyn Schultz (SO), 5-3.25 [1.61m]
-- Hayden Loudenslager (SR), NH
-- Rhys Phillips (FR), NH
2. Annie Rhodes (FR), 13-0.75 [3.98m] (third best in school history)
t-8. Jennifer Gueldner (SR), 10-11.0 [3.33m]
t-8. Rebbeca Luedeker (SR), 10-11.0 [3.33m]
t-8. Kim Parr (JR), 10-11.0 [3.33m]
t-12. Chase Hood (FR), 14-8.25 [4.48m]
15. Dannielle Davis (SO), 16-10.50 [5.14m]
3. Felix Obi (SO), 23-11.5 [7.30m]
13. Rhys Phillips (FR), 21-10.75 [6.67m]
-- Kaitlin West (JR), F
3. Cion Hicks (FR), 47-10 [14.58m]
4. Erin Atkinson (SR), 63-4.25 [19.31m]