March 15, 2013
FORT WORTH, Texas - The Baylor track and field team picked up nine event titles to close out its first outdoor meet of the season on Friday at the TCU Invitational.
"It was a good opening meet for us," head coach Todd Harbour said. "We had a lot of good things happen and there are some things we have to work on. I think we can call it the meet of the throwers. They all did a super job".
After winning three titles on the first day of the meet, Baylor's throwers built on that success on Friday at the Lowdon Track and Field Complex.
The group was led by sophomore Desmine Hillard, who took third in the discus. He tallied a throw of 182-1 [55.51m] to set his personal-best mark and record the second-best throw in school history. Hilliard also had a personal-record of 52-10.75, while taking fourth in the shot put event.
"Desmine was outstanding," Harbour said. "To record the second-best discus throw in Baylor history is special. He is also in spring football right now, so that is really impressive."
Baylor took top honors in both of the 4x400-meter relays. The women's team of Idia Omogiate, Ashley Fields, Christina Holland and Raena Rhone placed first in 3:41.49, while the men's quartet of Justin Allen, Isaiah Duke, Joe Barb and Richard Gary beat out a field of six in 3:10.06.
The quarter-mile runners made their outdoor debut count as Idia Omogiate was the women's highest finisher at third in 55.54. On the men's side, Isaiah Duke picked up a victory with a time of 47.59 and Joe Barb's time of 47.88 was third.
Jonathan Tijerina had a personal-best run of 3:59.83 to win the 1,500-meters. In fact, Baylor swept the top-three spots in the event as Gavyn Nero was second in 4:00.35 and Taylor Jackson had a personal-record of 4:00.97 to be third.
At the 3,000-meter distance Brandon Reed took top honors in 8:51.95, while JR Hardy was fifth in 9:04.89.
Baylor's hurdlers had a successful day as well with Taije Jordan taking third in the 100-hurdles in 13.80, while Christina Holland (59.17) won the 400-hurdles and teammate Michelle Nwachukwu was fifth in 1:03.31. On the men's side, Bryce Grace was second at the 110-distance in 14.05. At the longer distance, Austin Bolling took third in 55.94.
In other field events, Hayden Loudenslager won the high jump by clearing 6-6.25 [1.99m]. Kim Parr took fifth in the pole vault with a leap of 10-11.75 [3.35m].
Sophomore Kaitlin West was second in the triple jump with a personal-best leap of the 40-2 [12.24m].
Baylor will now return home to host the first of three outdoor meets in 2013. The Bears will welcome North Texas, Stephen F. Austin and TCU for the Baylor Quad Invitational on Friday, March 22 at the Hart-Patterson Track & Field Complex.
Follow @BaylorTrack on Twitter for updates on the team all season.
5. Alex Reece (FR) - 10.38w
1. Ashley Fields (FR) - 22.98
4. Justise Dayries (FR) - 23.45
7. Raena Rhone (SO) - 24.05 (personal best)
18. Alyssa Nichols (JR) - 24.89
25. Michelle Ratliff (JR) - 25.61
29. Arryss Mills (SO) - 25.78
30. Kehri Jones (FR) - 25.99
32. Lizzy Whitney (SR) - 26.24
35. Lauren Rover (JR) - 27.53
37. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 27.70w
11. Alex Reece (FR) - 21.34
9. Ivorie Walker (JR) - 2:18.19
12. Kristina Brown (JR) - 2:22.51
15. Jenna Henrich (SO) - 2:27.07
16. Lauren Stevens (FR) - 2:27.84
17. Meredith Jackson (FR) - 2:28.51
18. Brittany OgunMokun (SR) - 2:29.30
19. Courtney Cox (SO) - 2:32.83
1. Jonathan Tijerina (JR) - 3:59.83 (personal best)
2. Gavyn Nero (SR) - 4:00.35
3. Taylor Jackson (SR) - 4:00.97 (personal best)
7. Matt Galvin (SO) - 4:04.07 (personal best)
8. Brandon Reed (SR) - 4:05.55
10. JR Hardy (FR) - 4:07.77
11. Chris McElroy (FR) - 4:08.66
12. Kyle Scanlan (FR) - 4:12.66
-- Karlee Kleiber (SO) - DNF
1. Brandon Reed (SR) - 8:51.95
5. JR Hardy (FR) - 9:04.89
7. Taylor Jackson (SR) - 9:06.34
8. Kyle Scanlan (FR) - 9:11.87
9. Derwin Graham (SO) - 9:12.51
10. Matt Galvin (SO) - 9:15.50
14. Chris McElroy (FR) - 9:31.88
3. Taije Jordan (FR) - 13.80
6. Dannielle Davis (SO) - 14.57
7. Jessica Shadley (JR) - 14.65w (personal best)
10. Michelle Ratliff (JR) - 14.93 (personal best)
12. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 15.47
14. Lauren Rover (JR) - 16.33
2. Bryce Grace (FR) - 14.05
3. Austin Bolling (FR) - 55.94
1. Baylor A (Idia Omogiate, Ashley Fields, Christina Holland, Raena Rhone) - 3:41.49
4. Baylor B (Michelle Nwachukwu, Alyssa Nichols, Justise Dayries, Brittany OgunMokun) - 3:48.20
6. Baylor C (Lizzy Whitney, Ivorie Walker, Taije Jordan, Calesia Henson) - 4:00.33
8. Baylor D (Jenna Pfeiffer, Michelle Ratliff, Arryss Mills, Lauren Rover) - 4:08.36
t6. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 5-4.25 [1.63m]
t6. Jennifer Gueldner (SO) - 5-4.25 [1.63m] (personal-best)
10. Kaylyn Schultz (FR) - 5-4.25 [1.63m]
-- Lauren Rover (JR) - NH
-- Jessica Shadley (JR) - NH
-- Lauren Cook (SO) - NH
1. Hayden Loudenslager (JR) - 6-6.25 [1.99m]
t5. Kim Parr (SO) - 10.11.75 [3.35m]
-- Jennnifer Gueldner (SO) - NH
6. Justine Charbonnet (JR) - 19-2.75 [5.86m]
16. Dannielle Davis (SO) - 17-8.25 [5.39m]
17. Jessica Gabler (SR) - 17-6 [5.33m]w
18. Michelle Ratliff (JR) - 17-2.25 [5.24m]
19. Jessica Shadley (JR) - 16-11.25 [5.16m]
7. Hayden Loudenslager (JR) - 43-10.75 [13.38m]
Men - Section 1
8. Justin Schappell (FR) - 131-11 [42.20m]
Men - Section 2
3. Desmine Hilliard (SO) - 182-1 [55.51m] (personal-best & second-best in school history)