March 21, 2014
FORT WORTH, Texas – Baylor’s track and field team tallied eight event wins on Friday at the TCU Invitational at Lowdon Track and Field Stadium.
Freshman Trayvon Bromell headlined the day by turning in a time of 20.23 to win the 200-meter dash. That is the sixth-fastest time in Baylor history at that distance with all five faster times belonging to former world-record holder Michael Johnson.
Another freshman, Annie Rhodes, set the school record in the pole vault to take the title in that event. The Waco, Texas, product, jumped 13-5.25 [4.10m] to better the previous school-record mark of 12-7.5 set by Kaleigh Teel in 2008.
BU’s men’s 4x100-meter relay team of Bromell, Blake Heriot, Everett Walker and Alex Reece debuted with a victory in a time of 39.48. That time bettered any mark that the Bears posted last season.
Sophomore Taije Jordan turned in a personal-best time of 13.47 to win the 100-hurdles. Jordan also took second in the 400-hurdles with a time of 1:04.13. Fellow sophomore Richard Gary notched a victory in the quarter mile with a time of 48.04.
Blake Mayberry opened BU’s day with win in the javelin by throwing 205-8 [62.69m].
Michelle Nwachukwu won the 400-hurdles with a time of 1:03.00.
In the 4x400-meter relay, the Baylor women’s squad of Alyssa Nichols, Ashley Fields, Raena Rhone and Nwachukwu were victorious in 3:41.42.
Senior Everett Walker competed in his first meet of 2014, after sitting out of the indoor season. He placed third in the 100-meter with a wind-aided time of 10.17. Blake Heriot was also third, but at the 200-meter distance in a PR time of 20.45.
- Baylor athletes set 18 personal-best marks on Friday.
- Senior Kristina Brown took fourth in the 800-meters with a PR of 2:15.40
- Brad Miles was top-5 in both the 1,500 and 3,000-meter events.
- Bryce Grace was second in the 100-hurdles with a mark of 13.98 and second in the 400-hurdles in 57.18.
STAT OF THE DAY
3 – the number of events freshman Rhys Phillips competed in. He ran the 100-hurdles, while also doing the high jump and throwing the javelin.
TOP QUOTE #1
"It was a really good opening meet for us. The wind was our friend for some people and for others it made it tougher. It was great to win eight events today. I thought it was a great opener for our 4x1 crew and then of course Trayvon’s 200 was phenomenal." - head coach Todd Harbour on the meet
Baylor will now head south to Austin for the Texas Relays, which start Wednesday. Select student-athletes will also travel to the Bobcat Invitational in San Marcos, Texas, which begins on Thursday.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
6. Kehri Jones (JR), 11.55w
20. Justine Charbonnet (SR), 12.27w
3. Everett Walker (SR), 10.17w
14. Alex Reece (SO), 10.42w
5. Justise Dayries (SO), 23.55w
7. Kehri Jones (JR), 23.96 (personal best)
11. Raena Rhone (JR), 24.29w
17. Alyssa Nichols (SR), 24.53w
27. Jessica Shadley (SR), 25.98
28. Carly Grandcolas (FR), 26.03
29. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO), 27.11 (personal best)
1. Trayvon Bromell (FR), 20.23 (sixth best in school history)
3. Blake Heriot (SR), 20.45 (personal best)
13. Alex Reece (SO), 20.99 (personal best)
25. Karrie Butler (JR), 22.13
6. Calesia Henson (SR), 58.11
1. Richard Gary (SO), 48.04
5. Isaiah Duke (SO), 49.39
-- George Caddick (FR), DNF
4. Kristina Brown (SR), 2:15.10 (personal best)
5. Maggie Montoya (FR), 2:15.62
11. Jessica Purtell (FR), 2:18.52
13. Meredith Jackson (SO), 2:20.85
14. Katie Grovatt (FR), 2:20.90
21. Saphire Hughes (FR), 2:27.85
22. Lauren Stevens (JR), 2:30.55
8. Derwin Graham (JR), 1:56.33 (personal best)
12. Brandon Moore (FR), 1:57.98
14. Jonathan Tijerina (JR), 1:58.53
16. Chris McElroy (SO), 1:59.28
20. Randy Dias II (FR), 1:59.75
23. Greg Bositck (SO), 2:00.81
28. Blake Bostick (FR), 2:06.64
19. Courtney Cox (JR), 5:08.14
20. Jenna Henrich (SO), 5:08.21
22. Alexis Reamer (FR), 5:14.52
2. Derwin Graham (JR), 4:05.36
3. Jonathan Tijerina (JR), 4:05.98
4. Bradley Miles (SR), 4:06.96
5. Matt Galvin (JR), 4:07.34
8. JR Hardy (SO), 4:08.30 (personal best)
9. Chris McElroy (SO), 4:08.61
16. Kyle Scanlan (SO), 4:10.85 (personal best)
18. Jordan West (FR), 4:13.01
23. Blake Bostick (FR), 4:19.49
7. Peyton Thomas (FR), 10:15.12
10. Erin Hegarty (SO), 10:27.18
14. Sarah Guhl (SO), 10:51.90
16. Erika Overbeck (SO), 10:59.75
19. Lauren Hierholzer (SO), 11:05. 42
21. Gretta Smith (FR), 11:15.61
24. Catherine Cochran (FR), 11:53.07
2. Bradley Miles (SR), 8:47.96
4. Kyle Scanlan (SO), 8:51.19
6. Jordan West (FR), 9:00.41
-- Matt Galvin (JR), DNF
-- JR Hardy (SO), DNF
1. Taije Jordan (SO), 13.47 (personal best)
11. Dannielle Davis (JR), 14.48 (personal best)
14. Jessica Shadley (SR), 14.82
16. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO), 15.06 (personal best)
19. Carly Grandcolas (FR), 15.82
2. Bryce Grace (SO), 13.98
6. Rhys Phillips (FR), 15.04
7. Henry Vildosola (SR), 15.58 (personal best)
1. Michelle Nwachukwu (SR), 1:03.00
2. Taije Jordan (SO), 1:04.13
3. Taylor Houston (FR), 1:08.11
2. Bryce Grace (SO), 57.18
3. Keenan Gibson (FR), 59.56
3. Baylor (Kehri Jones, Ashley Fields, Alyssa Nichols, Justise Dayries), 45.91
1. Baylor (Trayvon Bromell, Blake Heriot, Everett Walker, Alex Reece), 39.48
1. Baylor (Alyssa Nichols, Ashley Fields, Raena Rhone, Michelle Nwachukwu), 3:41.42
6. Baylor (Calesia Henson, Katie Grovatt, Justise Dayries, Justine Charbonnet), 3:52.60
8. Baylor (Jessica Purtell, Kristina Brown, Maggie Montoya, Jenna Henrich), 3:58.78
2. Baylor (Everett Walker, Brandon Moore, Isaiah Duke, Richard Gary), 3:11.17
-- Baylor (Blake Heriot, Timothy Holmes, Drew Seale, Randall Dias), DNF
6. Lauren Cook (JR), 5-5.25 [1.66m]
t-7. Kaylyn Schultz (SO), 5-3.25 [1.61m]
5. Hayden Loudenslager (SR), 6-2.75 [1.90m]
-- Rhys Phillips (FR), NH
-- Henry Vildosola (SR), NH
1. Annie Rhodes (FR), 13-5.25 [4.10m] (school record)
t5. Kim Parr (JR), 11-0.25 [3.36m] (personal best)
7. Jennifer Gueldner (SR), 11-0.25 [3.36m] (personal best)
-- Rebecca Luedeker (SR), NH
5. Chase Hood (FR), 15-6.25 [4.73m]
7. Henry Vildosola (SR), 14-0.5 [4.26m] (personal best)
6. Justine Charbonnet (SR), 19-0.5 [5.80m]
7. Danielle Davis (JR), 18-9.25 [5.72m] (personal best)
2. Kaitlin West (JR), 39-5 [12.01m]
6. Cion Hicks (FR), 45-8.0 [13.92m]
3. Taylor Torres (SR), 134-8 [41.04m]
5. Lauren Rover (SR), 117-10 [35.93m]
6. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO), 111-3 [33.91m] (personal best)
7. Jessica Shadley (SR), 102-3 [31.17m]
1. Blake Mayberry (SR), 205-8 [62.69m]
3. Richard Hansen (JR), 175-3 [53.43m]
7. Rhys Phillips (FR), 130-10 [39.89m]