WACO, Texas - In its first home meet of 2013, the Baylor track and field team secured 19 event titles and broke one school record on Friday at the Hart-Patterson Track and Field Complex.
"This meet served the purpose of what we wanted it to," head coach Todd Harbour said. "To be able to get our kids a dress rehearsal at the venue where we will host the conference meet is huge. It is always fun to compete at home and we had a lot of good things happen for us today."
The school-record breaking performance came from freshman Felix Obi, who earlier this year set the school record in the indoor triple jump three times. In his first chance in the outdoor season, the freshman wrote his name in the outdoor section of the record book with a leap of 50-9.25. Obi bettered the school record jump of Charles Powell, who set the old mark of 49-3.5 in 1984.
The jump also gave Obi the event title and currently the fifth-best mark in the NCAA. The El Paso, Texas-native was also second in the long jump. He posted the fourth-best jump in the NCAA with a leap of 24-6.25.
Baylor got another superb performance from sophomore Raena Rhone as she won the 400-meter title with a personal-best time of 53.42. That mark is currently No. 1 in the country. Alyssa Nichols was fourth in the event in 55.60.
In the other sprints, Ashley Fields won the 200-meter crown for a second-straight week by posting a time of 23.92. Her teammate, Justise Dayries was fifth in 24.63.
On the men's side, Blake Heriot took second in the 100-meters with the 16th-best time in the NCAA of 10.49. Freshman Alex Reece was fourth in the race with a time of 10.62.
Reece then registered a fourth-place finish in the 200-meters by recording a 21.69 mark. Fellow freshman Richard Gary is now ninth in the NCAA, after taking second in the 400-meters with a time of 47.59. The time of 48.04 gave senior Drew Seale fourth place in the event.
Baylor was even more dominant at the middle distance.
Matt Galvin (8:44.85), Kyle Scanlan (8:49.04) and JR Hardy (8:51.07) swept the top three spots in the 3,000-meter race with all of the runners tallying personal bests.
Jonathan Tijerina won the 1,500-meters in back-to-back weeks with a 4:01.04 time on Friday. His teammate in the race Chris McElroy was fifth in 4:06.51.
In the 800-meters, Gavyn Nero (1:52.68) found himself in the top spot for the second time in two weeks as he recorded the 15th-best time in the NCAA this year.
While the women didn't pick up any wins in the middle distances, Olicia Williams (2:12.69), Lizzy Whitney (2:14.44) and Ivorie Walker (2:14.59) went third, fourth and fifth, respectively in the 800-meters.
Mariah Kelly tied a personal-best in the 1,500 and earned second-place in 4:31.59. That time is 18th in the NCAA this season. Bree Schrader took fourth in the 3,000-meters in 10:23.47.
The Bears picked up two titles in the hurdle events. Christina Holland won the 100-hurdles in 13.77, which is 18th-best in the country. Taije Jordan (13.98) was third in the event.
At the 400-meter hurdle distance, Michelle Nwachukwu took top honors in 1:02.63.
On the men's side, Bryce Grace was third in the 110-hurdles with a time of 14.61.
BU's relays also shined. For the first time this season, the Lady Bears fielded a 4x100-meter relay squad. The group of Kehri Jones, Fields, Omogiate and Dayries was second in 46.04.
At the 4x440-yard distance, Omogiate, Nwachukwu, Holland and Rhone, claimed top honors in 3:42.44. The `B' squad for BU in the event (Nichols, Brittany OgunMokun, Dayries and Calesia Henson) was fourth in 3:50.07.
The men's 4x400-meter quartet of Heriot, Justin Allen, Seale and Gary won the meet crown in 3:10.15. The Bears' `B' group of Joe Barb, Isaiah Duke, Reece and Nero took fourth in 3:15.99.
Baylor also took part in the steeplechase event for the first time this outdoor season. On the women's side, Rachel Johnson (6:46.11), Mariah Kelly (6:55.07) and Sarah Guhl (7:35.34) were first, second and fifth, respectively at the 2,000-meter distance.
The men grabbed the top two-spots in the event as Taylor Jackson (6:00.12) and Derwin Graham (6:00.14) went No. 1 and 2.
In the field events, Hayden Loudenslager earned first in the high jump with a personal-best leap of 6-6.75. Loudenslager also took fourth in the triple jump with a leap of 44-9.5.
Justine Charbonnet was the long jump champion in 19-4, while teammates Brianna Richardson (18-11.25) and Jessica Gabler (18-5) were third and fourth.
Richardson got her own crown with a win in the triple jump. Her 40-6 leap is currently eighth-best in the NCAA. Kaitlin West was second in the event at 39-4.5.
In the women's high jump, Jessica Shadley, Lauren Rover and Kaylyn Schultz all tied for third with jumps of 5-3.
Skylar White had a special day as she doubled with wins in both the shot put (52-6) and the discus (177-0). Those marks are fifth and second in the NCAA, respectively.
Desmine Hilliard was close to matching White as he took first in the discus (177-0) and second in the shot put (52-8.75), a personal-best mark for the sophomore.
Baylor dominated the javelin throw on the men's side as Blake Mayberry had a personal-best throw of 219-0 to win and teammate Richard Hansen was second with a heave of 189-5. Mayberry's toss is 14th in the NCAA.
On the women's side, Taylor Torres (132-6) and Lauren Rover (126-0) both established personal-bests in the event, while taking second and third, respectively.
In the hammer throw, Erin Atkinson (194-1) was second and Jasmine Adekoya was fifth (162-9).
Baylor will now take part in the Texas Relays, which begin on March 27.
Follow @BaylorTrack on Twitter for updates on the team all season.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
6. Justine Charbonnet (JR) - 11.90
7. Justise Dayries (FR) - 11.91
8. Kehri Jones (SO) - 11.92 (personal best)
10. Idia Omogiate (JR) - 11.95
12. Arryss Mills (JR) - 12.49
2. Blake Heriot (JR) - 10.49 (currently tied for 16th in NCAA)
4. Alex Reece (FR) - 10.62
-- John Evans - DNS
1. Ashley Fields (FR) - 23.92
5. Justise Dayries (FR) - 24.63
6. Kehri Jones (SO) - 24.82 (personal best)
11. Taije Jordan (FR) - 25.39
14. Arryss Mills (JR) - 25.93
-- Lauren Rover (JR) - DNS
-- Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - DNS
-- Michelle Ratliff (SR) -DNS
4. Alex Reece (FR) - 21.69
6. Richard Gary (FR) - 21.82
7. Justin Allen (SR) - 22.17
10. John Evans - 23.33
-- Isaiah Duke (FR) - DNS
-- Blake Heriot (JR) - DNS
1. Raena Rhone (SO) - 53.42 (personal best and currently 1st in NCAA)
4. Alyssa Nichols (JR) - 55.60
8. Calesia Henson (JR) - 57.76 (personal-best)
9. Katelyn Cranfill (JR) - 59.65
-- Michelle Nwachukwu (JR) - DNS
2. Richard Gary (FR) - 47.59 (currently 9th in NCAA)
4. Drew Seale (SR) - 48.04
6. Justin Allen (SR) - 48.44
9. Isaiah Duke (FR) - 49.84
3. Olicia Williams (FR) - 2:12.69
4. Lizzy Whitney (SR) - 2:14.44
5. Ivorie Walker (JR) - 2:14.59
7. Angela Tharpe (FR) - 2:16.70
9. Kristina Brown (JR) - 2:19.50
11. Meredith Jackson (FR) - 2:21.55
12. Courtney Cox (SO) - 2:23.06
13. Lauren Stevens (SO) - 2:24.23
14. Jenna Henrich (FR) - 2:26.03
-- Brittany OgunMokun (SR) - DNS
-- Erika Overbeck (FR) - DNS
1. Gavyn Nero (SR) - 1:52.68 (currently 15th in NCAA)
8. Jonathan Tijerina (JR) - 1:57.65 (personal best)
10. Joe Barb (JR) - 1:58.22
11. Chris McElroy (FR) - 2:00.11
-- Jesse Brooks (SO) - DNS
-- Greg Bostick (FR) - DNS
2. Mariah Kelly (JR) - 4:31.59 (tied personal best and currently 18th in NCAA)
11. Erika Overbeck (FR) - 5:01.50
1. Jonathan Tijerina (JR) - 4:01.04
5. Chris McElroy (FR) - 4:06.51
4. Bree Schrader (SO) - 10:23.47
6. Lauren Hierholzer (FR) - 10:55.08
1. Matt Galvin (SO) - 8:44.85 (personal best)
2. Kyle Scanlan (FR) - 8:49.04 (personal best)
3. JR Hardy (FR) - 8:51.07 (personal best)
6. Bradley Miles (JR) - 8:58.07
7. Matt Cochran (FR) - 9:07.64
-- Brandon Reed (SR) - DNS
-- Taylor Jackson (SR) - DNS
-- Derwin Graham (SO) - DNS
-- Blake Niccum (SR) - DNS
1. Christina Holland (SR) - 13.77 (currently tied for 18th in NCAA)
3. Taije Jordan (FR) - 13.98
6. Dannielle Davis (SO) - 14.93
-- Michelle Ratliff (SR) - DNS
-- Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - DNS
-- Lauren Rover (JR) - DNS
-- Jesica Shadley (JR) - DNS
3. Bryce Grace (FR) - 14.61
1. Michelle Nwachukwu (JR) - 1:02.63
2. Baylor (Jones, Fields, Omogiate, Dayries) - 46.04
1. Baylor A (Omogiate, Nwachukwu, Holland, Rhone) - 3:42.44
4. Baylor B (Nichols, Ogunmokun, Dayries, Henson) - 3:50.07
6. Baylor C (Walker, Whitney, Cranfill, Tharpe) - 3:59.60
7. Baylor D (Mills, Jordan, Jones, Stevens) - 4:05.37
8. Baylor E (Pfeiffer, Shadley, Rover, Gueldner) - 4:09.68
1. Baylor A (Heriot, Allen, Seale, Gary) - 3:10.15
4. Baylor B (Barb, Duke, Reece, Nero) - 3:15.99
1. Rachel Johnson (SO) - 6:46.11
2. Mariah Kelly (JR) - 6:55.07
5. Sarah Guhl (SO) - 7:35.34
-- Gretta Smith (FR) - DNS
1. Taylor Jackson (SR) - 6:00.12
2. Derwin Graham (SO) - 6:00.14
3. Jessica Shadley (JR) - 5-3.0 [1.60m] (personal-best)
3. Lauren Rover (JR) - 5-3.0 [1.60m]
3. Kaylyn Schultz (FR) - 5-3.0 [1.60m]
9. Lauren Cook (SO) - 5-3.0 [1.60m]
9. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 5-3.0 [1.60m]
12. Jennifer Gueldner (JR) - 5-1.0 [1.55m]
-- Michelle Ratliff (SR) -- DNS
1. Hayden Loudenslager (JR) - 6-6.75 [2.00m] (personal-best)
-- Rebecca Luedeker (JR) - NH
-- Kim Parr (SO) - NH
-- Jennifer Gueldner (JR) - DNS
1. Justine Charbonnet (JR) - 19-4 [5.89m]
3. Brianna Richardson (FR) - 18-11.25 [5.77m]
4. Jessica Gabler (SR) - 18-5 [5.77m]
6. Dannielle Davis (SO) - 18-3.75 [5.58m] (personal-best)
12. Jessica Shadley (JR) - 16-6.5 [5.04m]
13. Lauren Rover (JR) - 16-1.5 [4.91m]
14. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 15-11 [4.85m]
-- Michelle Ratliff (SR) - DNS
2. Felix Obi (FR) - 24-6.25 [7.47m]w (currently 4th in NCAA)
-- Kaleb Moore (FR) - FOUL
1. Brianna Richardson (FR) - 40-6 [12.34m] (tied for 8th in NCAA)
2. Kaitlin West (SO) - 39-4.5 [12.00m]
6. Georgia Mullins (JR) - 35-1.75 [10.71m] (tied personal best)
1. Felix Obi (FR) - 50-9.25 [15.47m] (5th in NCAA and school record)
4. Hayden Loudenslager (JR) - 44-9.5 [13.65m] (personal-best)
1. Skylar White (SR) - 52-6.0 [16.00m] (currently 5th in NCAA)
2. Desmine Hilliard (SO) - 52-8.75 [16.07m]
6. Justin Schappell (SO) - 44-2.75 [13.48m]
1. Skylar White (SR) - 177-0 [53.96m] (currently 2nd in NCAA)
6. Taylor Torres (JR) - 123-6 [37.64m]
7. Jasmine Adekoya (JR) - 117-2 [35.72m]
1. Desmine Hilliard (SO) - 177-0 [53.94m] (currently 19th in NCAA)
7. Justin Schappell (SO) - 130-2 [39.67m]
2. Taylor Torres (JR) - 132-6 [40.39m] (personal-best)
3. Lauren Rover (JR) - 126-0 [38.42m] (personal-best)
7. Jessica Shadley (JR) - 107-6 [32.78m] (personal-best)
8. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 99-4 [30.29m]
10. Michelle Ratliff (SR) - 81-2 [24.75m]
-- Allyson Anderson (JR) - Foul
1. Blake Mayberry (SO) - 219-0 [66.76m] (personal-best and 14th in NCAA)
2. Richard Hansen (SO) - 189-5 [57.73]
2. Erin Atkinson (JR) - 194-1 [59.16m]
5. Jasmine Adekoya (JR) - 162-9 [49.61]