March 27, 2014
AUSTIN, Texas - On the second day of the 87th-annual Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays, Baylor's track and field team got its first event as the women's 4x800-meter relay team took top honors on Thursday at Mike A. Myers Stadium.
The quartet of Mariah Kelly, Maggie Montoya, Kristina Brown and Olicia Williams produced a time of 8:46.85, which was almost two second better than the rest of the field. The time was also the ninth-fastest in Baylor school history.
In the conclusion of the decathlon competition, senior Henry Vildosola improved upon his first day standing by three places to finish eighth in the competition with 7,112 points. That mark is a personal best for Vildosola and the second-most points ever accumulated in the decathlon in school history. Vildosola set personal-best in the 110-hurdles (15.61), the pole vault (15-1 [4.60m]) and the javelin (179-10 [54.82m]).
In the field events, Blake Mayberry shined with a second-place finish in the javelin. The senior posted a personal-best throw of 225-2 [68.64m] to finish as the runner-up. Mayberry's mark was the 10th-best in BU school history.
Erin Atkinson had a solid day in the hammer throw as she placed fourth. The senior had a throw of 197-4 [58.08] to better her season-opening mark of 187-10 [57.26m].
- Richard Hansen finished 10th in the javelin with a throw of 185-4 [56.49m].
- TJ Holmes debuted in the 400-hurdles with a time of 52.78 to be 12th in the prelims.
- Jessica Shadley set a PR in the 800-meters in the heptathlon with a time of 2:22.70.
- Matt Galvin ran a personal-best of 14:42.29 to take eighth in the 5,000 meters.
STAT OF THE DAY
276 - the number of points Henry Vildosola improved by in the decathlon from his previous personal-best of 6,836, which he set in 2013 at the Big 12 Outdoor Championships
TOP QUOTE #1
"Henry (Vildosola) had a really solid two days down here. I thought he had a very solid PR in the decathlon. I was very proud for him. The ladies 4x8 ran well. Erin (Atkinson) and Blake Mayberry each had a good performance in their events, so we had some good things happen today. " - head coach Todd Harbour
Baylor athletes will return to the Texas Relays on Friday with field events beginning at 9:30 a.m. and preliminary rounds of running events starting at 9:35 a.m.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
8. Matt Galvin (JR) - 14:42.29 (personal best)
11. JR Hardy (SO) - 14:56.01 (personal best)
1. Baylor (Mariah Kelly, Maggie Montoya, Kristina Brown, Olicia Williams) - 8:46.85 (ninth-best in school history)
12. Baylor (Brandon Moore, Derwin Graham, Greg Bostick, Jonathan Tijerina) - 7:41.71
Women - Prelims
29. Michelle Nwachukwu (SR) - 1:01.70
49. Taije Jordan (SO) - 1:03.86
Men - Prelims
12. TJ Holmes (FR) - 52.78
43. Bryce Grace (SO) - 54.36
4. Erin Atkinson (SR) - 197-4 [58.08m]
2. Blake Mayberry (SR) - 225-2 [68.64m] (personal best and 10th-best in school history)
10. Richard Hansen (JR) - 185-4 [56.49m]
Heptathlon - Overall
21. Jessica Shadley (SR) - 4,734 pts.
22. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - 4,496 pts.
Decathlon - 110 Hurdles
12. Henry Vildosola (SR) - 15.61 (personal best)
Decathlon - Pole Vault
7. Henry Vildosola (SR) - 15-1 [4.60m] (personal best)
Decathlon - Discus
12. Henry Vildosola (SR), 120-0 [36.59m]
Decathlon - Javelin
8. Henry Vildosola (SR) - 179-10 [54.82m] (personal best)