March 29, 2013
AUSTIN, Texas - Junior Erin Atkinson's school-record toss in the hammer throw was the signature performance for the Baylor track and field team on its first day of action at the 86th-annual Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays at Mike A. Myers Stadium on Thursday.
For the second time in three meets, Atkinson improved upon her own school-record mark. Just two weeks ago at the TCU Invitational, the junior won the competition with a throw of 207-9. While claiming third on Thursday, she tallied a mark of 211-05. That distance is currently fourth-best in the NCAA.
Sophomore Rachel Johnson also had a special first day of action as she took second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. Her time of 10:29.08 was a personal-best and is third-best in the NCAA right now. On the men's side in the event, Taylor Jackson had a PR mark of 9:22.73 to be 16th.
In the 4x800-meter relays, BU's quartet of Mariah Kelly, Brittany OgunMokun, Lizzy Whitney and Olicia Williams clocked the meet's third-fastest time and the eighth-quickest in school history.
Gavyn Nero, Joe Barb, Greg Bostick and Drew Seale produced a mark of 7:43.60 to place eighth for the men in the event.
Baylor had a pair of athletes finish in the top-10 in the javelin. Blake Mayberry was third with a heave of 205-3, while Richard Hansen set a personal-best with a throw of 198-9.
Senior Christina Holland was just. .19 seconds out of the finals as she earned an 11-place finish in 59.92 in the 400-meter hurdles.
Baylor will be back in action at the Texas Relays at 9:30 a.m. on Friday with the preliminaries for the 4x100-meter relays. Field events get underway at 10 a.m.
BU's two athletes competing in the heptathlon at the Bobcat Invitational in San Marcos, Texas will wrap things up on Friday.
After four events on day one, Jenna Pfeiffer set a person-best in the 100-hurdles in 15.39 and delivered the highest finish of the day for BU at the meet by tying for third in the high jump in 1.62m. Lauren Rover was seventh in the shot put, 10.21m and 13th in the 200.
Follow @BaylorTrack on Twitter for updates on the team all season.
TEXAS RELAYS COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
20. Bree Schrader (SO) – 18:04.75
2. Rachel Johnson (SO) – 10:29.08 (personal best & third-best in NCAA)
16. Taylor Jackson (SR) – 9:22.73 (personal best)
11. Christina Holland (SR) – 59.92
44. Michelle Nwachukwu (JR) – 1:03.25
3. Baylor (Mariah Kelly, Brittany OgunMokun, Lizzy Whitney and Olicia Williams) – 8:46.77 (8th-best in school history)
8. Baylor (Gavyn Nero, Joe Barb, Greg Bostick, Drew Seale) – 7:43.60
3. Erin Atkinson (JR) – 211-05 [64.44m] (school-record & fourth-best in NCAA)
13. Jasmine Adekoya (JR) – 166-09 [50.84m]
Men – Section B
3. Blake Mayberry (SO) – 205-3 [62.56m]
9. Richard Hansen (SO) – 198-9 [60.58m] (personal-best)
BOBCAT INVITATIONAL COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
Heptathlon #1 – 100 Hurdles
10. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) – 15.39 (personal-best)
14. Lauren Rover (JR) – 16.27
Heptathlon #2 – High Jump
t3. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) – 1.62m
t7. Lauren Rover (JR) 1.59m
Heptathlon #3 – Shot Put
7. Lauren Rover (JR) – 10.21m
16. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) – 8.25m
Heptathlon #4 – 200 Meters
13. Lauren Rover (JR) – 27.11
15. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) – 27.34