March 29, 2014
AUSTIN, Texas - After shattering Baylor's school record on Friday, track and field freshman Trayvon Bromell bettered his time by .01 seconds to tie a world junior record and win the 100-meter dash on Saturday at the 87th-annual Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays at Mike A. Myers Stadium.
With a time of 10.01, Bromell now holds the Baylor record, the Texas Relays record, as well as sharing the world junior record with three others: Darrel Brown (Trinidad - 8/24/03), Jeff Demps (US - 6/28/08) and Yoshihide Kiryu (Japan - 4/29/13).
The product of St. Petersburg, Fla., etched his name in the world record book en route to capturing BU's third event title at the meet. Baylor's women had already won the 4x800-meter relay on Thursday and the distance medley relay on Friday.
For his efforts throughout the meet, Bromell was named the 2014 Texas Relays Most Outstanding Performer. He is just the third BU athlete to be awarded the honor, joining Gary Kafer (1972) and Michael Johnson (1990).
However, Bromell was not Baylor's only highlight on Saturday.
The men's 4x100-meter team of Bromell, Blake Heriot, Everett Walker and Alex Reece turned in a time of 39.09 to place third. That sub-39.50 time was the group's third of the year and the second-fastest time in school history.
On the women's side in the relays, the 4x100 and 4x400 quartets both placed seventh. In the afternoon, Kehri Jones, Ashley Fields, Alyssa Nichols and Justise Dayries ran a 45.37. In the evening, Nichols and Fields were followed by Olicia Williams and Raena Rhone as they combined for a 3:35.88 mark.
Meanwhile in the individual events, Tiffani McReynolds posted the ninth-fastest 100-meter hurdle time in school history with a blazing mark of 13.14 to take seventh. Junior Rachel Johnson notched a top-10 finish as well in the 1,500-meter with a personal-best time of 4:22.31 to be ninth. It was over a 13-second improvement for Johnson in the event as her previous career-high was 4:35.56.
In the final race of the day, an injury to sophomore Richard Gary on the leadoff leg of the men's 4x400-relay caused him to drop out ending Baylor's run prematurely.
Several Baylor athletes were also in action on Saturday at the Bobcat Invitational in San Marcos, Texas. Taylor Torres headlined that contingent as she was second in the javelin with a personal-best throw of 142-10 [43.55m]. The heave moves Torres into sixth in the BU record book. The senior's previous best of 137-11 was eighth all-time at BU.
- Cion Hicks placed third in the Texas Relays section B of the discus with a throw of 164-8 [50.20m].
- At the Bobcat Invitational, Jessica Purtell and Katie Grovatt finished fourth and seventh, respectively in the 800-meters.
- In long jump at the Texas State meet, Dannielle Davis and Justine Charbonnet were 10th and 16th, respectively.
STAT OF THE DAY
7 - the number of top-10 event finishes that Baylor posted on the final day of the Texas Relays
TOP QUOTE #1
"Overall, it was a good weekend for us. It was not the way that we wanted to finish it. Our women did a nice job in the 4x4. That is our best time of the year, so you have to be please with that. It is a good starting place for them, but for the guys it was tough. We were trying to put a good one together and then Richard went down. That is not the way we wanted to end it." - head coach Todd Harbour on the weekend
TOP QUOTE #2
"To come out and run that fast this early is very, very impressive. Coach (Michael) Ford has done a great job with him. I expected him to run fast down here, because you always see great times at the Texas Relays, but to open up with that kind of effort is huge." - head coach Todd Harbour on Bromell
Baylor athletes will now head to Gainesville, Fla., to take part in the Florida Relays on Friday and Saturday.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
TEXAS RELAYS COMPLETE SATURDAY BAYLOR RESULTS
100 Meters - Final
1. Trayvon Bromell (FR) - 10.01 (school record, Texas Relays meet record and ties world junior record)
1,500 Meters - Final
9. Rachel Johnson (JR) - 4:22.31 (personal best)
100 Hurdles - Final
7. Tiffani McReynolds (JR) - 13.14 (ninth in school history)
4x100-meter Relay - Final
7. Baylor (Kehri Jones, Ashley Fields, Alyssa Nichols, Justise Dayries) - 45.37
3. Baylor (Trayvon Bromell, Blake Heriot, Everett Walker, Alex Reece) - 39.09 (second-best in school history)
4x400-Meter Relay - Final
7. Baylor (Alyssa Nichols, Ashley Fields, Olicia Williams, Raena Rhone) - 3:35.88
-- Baylor (Richard Gary, Everett Walker, TJ Holmes, Isaiah Duke) - DNF
Women - Section B
3. Cion Hicks (FR) - 164-8 [50.20m]
BOBCAT INVITATIONAL COMPLETE SATURDAY BAYLOR RESULTS
4. Jessica Purtell (FR) - 2:12.40
7. Katie Grovatt (FR) - 2:12.46
10. Dannielle Davis (JR) - 17-10.25 [5.44m]
16. Justine Charbonnet (SR) - 17-5.25 [5.31m]
2. Taylor Torres (SR) - 142-10 [43.55m] (personal best and sixth-best in school history)