March 29, 2013
AUSTIN, Texas - For the second meet in a row, freshman Felix Obi broke Baylor's triple jump record on Friday at 86th-annual Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays at Mike Myers Stadium.
The freshman recorded a mark of 52-9.25 to better his jump from last week's Baylor Quad Invitational by two feet. His tally currently sits as the fourth-best jump in the NCAA.
Not only did Obi set the school-mark in the triple jump, the El Paso, Texas, native earned a victory in section B of the long jump with a leap of 24-3.75.
Obi's counterpart on the women's side, Brianna Richardson, produced a personal-best mark of 41-8.5 to take third in section B of the triple jump.
Senior Skylar White posted a third-place showing in the discus with a throw of 174-2. White recorded the mark on her final throw of preliminary action, before fouling on all three attempts in the finals.
White also finished 10th in the shot put with a throw of 48-9. She tallied that mark on her first throw of the event and then fouled on her final two attempts to miss out on the finals.
The men's 4x100-meter relay team of Justin Allen, Blake Heriot, Everett Walker and Alex Reece turned in the third-fastest time of the day at 40.00 to qualify for Saturday's finals.
On the women's side, the 4x400-meter relay team of Kehri Jones, Ashley Fields, Idia Omogiate and Justise Dayries advanced out of the preliminary rounds with a season-best time of 3:37.17.
Freshman Taije Jordan led a group of three BU participants in the 100-hurdles with a personal-best time of 13.52 to place 13th. In the men's 110-hurdle event Bryce Grace was 14th in 14.22.
BU's distance medley relay team of Gavyn Nero, Isaiah Duke, Greg Bostick and Jonathan Tijerina took sixth in 10:00.89.
Baylor will be back in action at the Texas Relays at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday with the finals of the 4x100-meter relays.
BU's two participants, Jenna Pfeiffer and Lauren Rover, at the Bobcat Invitational concluded competition in the heptathlon by finishing ninth and 10th, respectively. Pfeiffer's day was highlighted by the second-best time in the 800-meters of 2:20.04, while Rover's best event was the javelin with a throw of 34.67m.
Follow @BaylorTrack on Twitter for updates on the team all season.
TEXAS RELAYS COMPLETE FRIDAY BAYLOR RESULTS
q = qualified for finals
100 Meters - Prelims
43. Justise Dayries (FR) - 11.91
76. Justine Charbonnet (JR) - 12.33
22. Alex Reece (FR) - 10.56
100 Hurdles - Prelims
13. Taije Jordan (FR) - 13.52 (personal-best)
30. Christina Holland (SR) - 13.91
75. Jessica Shadley (JR) - 14.98
110 Hurdles - Prelims
14. Bryce Grace (FR) - 14.22
4x100-meter Relay - Prelims
20. Baylor (Kehri Jones, Ashley Fields, Idia Omogiate, Justise Dayries) - 46.48
3. Baylor (Justin Allen, Blake Heriot, Everett Walker, Alex Reece) - 40.00q
4x400-meter Relay - Prelims
5. Baylor (Idia Omogiate, Ashley Fields, Brittany OgunMokun, Raena Rhone) - 3:37.17q
Distance Medley Relay
6. Baylor (Gavyn Nero, Isaiah Duke, Greg Bostick, Jonathan Tijerina) - 10:00.89
Women - Section B
-- Kim Parr (SO) - NH
Men - Section B
1. Felix Obi (FR) - 24-3.75 [7.41m]
Women - Section B
3. Brianna Richardson - 41-8.50 [12.71m] (personal-best)
Men - Section A
4. Felix Obi (FR) - 52-9.25 [16.08m] (School record and fourth in NCAA)
Women - Section A
10. Skylar White (SR) - 48-9 [14.86m]
Women - Section A
3. Skylar White (SR) - 174-2 [53.08m]
BOBCAT INVITATIONAL COMPLETE FRIDAY BAYLOR RESULTS
Heptathlon #5 - Long Jump
t9. Lauren Rover (JR) - 5.07m
11. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 5.00m
Heptathlon #6 - Javelin
4. Lauren Rover (JR) - 34.67m
6. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 32.34m
Heptathlon #7 - 800 Meters
2. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 2:20.04
8. Lauren Rover (JR) - 2:31.04
9. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 4,553
10. Lauren Rover (JR) - 4,475