April 4, 2014
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - With the majority of the Baylor track and field team competing at the Florida Relays, junior Rachel Johnson stole the show by establishing a new school record in the 3,000-meter steeplechase on Friday at the Stanford Invitational in Stanford, Calif.
The Plano, Texas, native, finished second overall, but was the top collegiate runner at the Cobb Track with a time of 9:49.31. In her season debut in the event, Johnson broke her previous personal record (10:29.08) by nearly 30 seconds and eclipsed the old school record of Erin Bedell (9:56.19) set in 2009 by almost seven seconds. Currently, Johnson's time stands as the best in the NCAA this season. During the indoor season, Johnson set the BU school record in the 3,000 meters.
Meanwhile at the Florida Relays, individual events highlighted the day as all relays will be contested on Saturday.
Junior Derwin Graham tallied BU's only event win on the day as he cruised to the 3,000-meter steeplechase title in a PR time of 9:07.11. In his season-debut in the event, Graham bested the rest of the field by over four seconds to tally the seventh-fastest time in school history.
Tiffani McReynolds continued her impressive return to the outdoor track scene with a fourth-place showing in the 100-hurdles in 12.98. The junior, who competed in the event for the first time since 2012 last week, equaled the fourth-best time in the event in BU history.
Baylor's field event performers had a strong day in Florida as well. Annie Rhodes improved upon her own school-record mark to place fourth in the pole vault with a jump of 13-7.25 [4.15m]. Fellow freshman Cion Hicks took second in the discus with a throw of 165-8 [50.49m].
For a second straight week, Taylor Torres improved upon her PR mark with a javelin toss of 147-11 [45.08m] to place eighth. That mark is third-best in school history.
- Freshman Trayvon Bromell followed up his school-record time of 10.01 in 100 meters at the Texas Relays with a 10.16 to be third in Florida. That is the sixth-fastest time in school history.
- Olicia Williams took sixth in the 800-meters with a time of 2:07.78
- For a third straight meet Blake Mayberry posted a javelin toss over 200 feet with a throw of 207-3 [63.17m] to be seventh.
- Kyle Scanlan recorded a PR in the 5,000-meter run to take eighth in 14:40.85
- Mariah Kelly (4:23.20) and Maggie Montoya (4:23.65) finished seventh and ninth, respectively at the Stanford Invitational in the 1,500 meters.
STAT OF THE DAY
8 - the number of personal best marks achieved by BU athletes on Friday
TOP QUOTE #1
"I kind of thought Rachel was ready to go for the record based on her indoor 3K and how good of Steepler she is. She has even more in front of her, but it was a great opener for her." - head coach Todd Harbour on Rachel Johnson
TOP QUOTE #2
"I thought Derwin Graham was the highlight on our first day down here in Florida . He won the steeple and made it look easy. That's a big PR for him and he was just so impressive. It was a big confidence boost for him and he will have a shot at the school record later this season. We had a lot of good marks today - nothing huge, but it was a really solid day overall." - head coach Todd Harbour on Florida Relays performances
Baylor athletes will take part in the second day of the Florida Relays on Saturday. Field events start at 9 a.m. with running events beginning at 11 a.m.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
21. Brandon Moore (FR) - 1:51.38
4. Tiffani McReynolds (JR) - 12.98 (tied fourth best in school history)
38. Taije Jordan (SO) - 14.07
26. Bryce Grace (SO) - 14.15
31. Michelle Nwachukwu (SR) - 1:01.24
28. Timothy Holmes (FR) - 53.32