April 5, 2013
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The Baylor track and field team racked up 15 top-15 finishes on the first day of action at the 69th Annual Florida Relays on Friday at James G. Pressly Stadium.
On the track, individual events highlighted the day as all relays will be contested on Saturday.
In the sprints, Everett Walker ran the 100-meters for the first time in the outdoor season and took eighth with a time of 10.41. Walker followed that performance up with an 11th-place showing in the 200-meters in 20.86. In the 400-meters, Blake Heriot returned to his former school and tallied a time of 46.53 to earn seventh. Going into the meet that mark would have been the fourth-fastest time in the NCAA this year.
In the 400-meter hurdles, senior Christina Hollow took seventh with a time of 57.63.
BU's highest finisher on the day was senior Skylar White, who took fourth in the discus with a heave of 173-3.
In other field events, Taylor Torres came up just three inches short of a personal-best with a throw of 132-4 in the javelin. The junior finished ninth overall.
On the men's side in that event, Blake Mayberry carded a throw of 197-6 to take eighth.
Baylor will be back in action on Saturday at the meet with field events starting at 9 a.m. and running events at 11 a.m.
Follow @BaylorTrack on Twitter for updates on the team all season.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS – Friday Florida Relays
49. Justise Dayries (FR) – 12.13
12. Gavyn Nero (SR) – 1:51.59
-- Mariah Kelly (JR) - DNS
17. Taylor Jackson (SR) – 3:55.23 (personal best)
20. Jonathan Tijerina (JR) – 3:55.90 (personal best)
17. Brad Miles (JR) – 14:57.00 (personal best)
32. Brandon Reed (SR) – 15:13.84
-- Matt Galvin (SO) - DNS
9. Mariah Kelly (JR) – 10:54.60
15. Derwin Graham (SO) – 9:42.73 (personal best)
-- Felix Obi - DNS
Women – Invite University
4. Skylar White (SR) – 173-3 [52.80m]
Women – University
18. Taylor Torres (JR) – 138-4 [42.17m]
9. Taylor Torres (JR) – 132-4 (40.34m)