April 6, 2013
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - For the third time this outdoor season, junior Erin Atkinson broke Baylor's hammer throw record to highlight the track and field team's final day at the Florida Relays on Saturday.
Atkinson was one of two Bears on the day to claim an individual event title as she posted a heave of 211-5 [64.45m]. That mark is only .01m better than her previous school-record, which she recorded last week at the Texas Relays.
"Erin did a really good job for us today," head coach Todd Harbour said. "She had a good series of throws and just barely got the school record. Overall, it was a good weekend for us, but we did have one major setback."
The setback for BU came in the 4x100-meter men's relay where senior All-American Everett Walker pulled up with a hamstring injury.
Baylor's women in the 4x100-relay tallied a season-best time of 45.33 to take ninth. The squad of Justine Charbonnet, Ashley Fields, Idia Omogiate and Justise Dayries dropped over a second off the time that was recorded last week.
In its first running of the 4x800-meter relay this season, the women's group of Ivorie Walker, Angela Tharpe, Brittany OgunMokun and Olicia Williams put up the second-fastest time in school history to earn third in 8:36.00.
Baylor's second event win came from freshman Felix Obi as he recorded the second-best triple jump in school history. After breaking the school mark in his first two meets of the year, Obi registered a jump of 51-6.5 to take first. Obi's counterpart in the event on the women's side, Brianna Richardson was fifth with a mark of 41-8.
"Our triple jumpers also had a good day," Harbour said. "Felix obviously had some good jumps and Brianna was really close to some really big jumps, but fouled on those attempts."
After a fourth-place finish in the discus on Friday, Skylar White followed it up with a fourth-place showing in the shot put. The senior's heave of 54-7.25 was a season best and tied for the ninth-best in school history.
Baylor now will return to Texas to compete in the Texas Invitational in Austin, Texas, on Sat., April 13.
Follow @BaylorTrack on Twitter for updates on the team all season.
7. Baylor A (Idia Omogiate, Ashley Fields, Brittany OgunMokun, Raena Rhone) - 3:33.82
17. Baylor B (Michelle Nwachukwu, Alyssa Nichols, Christina Holland, Olicia Williams) - 3:41.35
3. Baylor A (Blake Heriot, Isaiah Duke, Joe Barb, Drew Seale) - 3:05.54
24. Baylor B (Justin Allen, Alex Reece, Gavyn Nero, Greg Bostick) - 3:14.46
3. Baylor (Ivorie Walker, Angela Tharpe, Brittany OgunMokun, Olicia Williams) - 8:36.00 (second-best in school history)
Distance Medley Relay
-- Baylor A (Olicia Williams, Alyssa Nichols, Brittany OgunMokun, Mariah Kelly) - DNS
1. Felix Obi (FR) - 51-6.5 [15.71m] (second-best in school history)
Women - Invite
4. Skylar White (SR) - 54-7.25 [16.64m] (Season best and tied for ninth-best in school history)
Women - Invite
1. Erin Atkinson (JR) - 211-5 [64.45m] (school record)
20. Jasmine Adekoya (JR) - 153-3 [46.71m]