April 12, 2014
AUSTIN, Texas - Battling windy conditions, the Baylor track and field team's Saturday at the Texas Invitational was headlined by a pair of freshman at Mike A. Myers Stadium.
First, TJ Holmes won the 400-hurdle event in a time of 51.84. That mark is his career-best in his third collegiate race and would have ranked as the 21st-fastest time in the country entering the weekend.
To close out the night, Annie Rhodes eclipsed her own school-record mark in the pole vault with a leap of 14-0 [4.27m] to take second. This season, the Waco, Texas, product, has already broken the school record in the event three times. Rhodes' current mark would have tied for eighth-best in the country entering the weekend.
On the track, several performances were achieved when the wind was over the allowable 4.0 mph to be an NCAA qualifying time. Everett Walker was third in the 100 and fifth in the 200 meters with wind-aided times of 10.21 and 20.68. Bryce Grace ran a personal-best in the 110-hurdles of 13.83 to be third, but it was not wind legal.
Ashley Fields also had two top-five performances in the sprint with a wind-legal time of 11.53 to take fourth in the 100 and a wind-aided mark of 23.35 to be fifth in the 200.
Kristina Brown set a PR in the 800-meter event with a time of 2:12.53 to take fourth.
Senior Taylor Torres racked up two top-five finishes as she placed second in javelin with a throw of 140-2 [42.73m] and then took fifth in the discus with a heave of 146-7 [44.68m].
Cion Hicks had a solid double day as she was fourth in the discus (162-2 [49.92m]) and fifth in the shot put (46-0.5 [14.03m].
- Sarah Guhl took second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a PR time of 11:40.05.
- Kaitlin West was fourth in the triple jump with a leap of 38-4.25 [11.69m].
- Lauren Cook (5-6 [1.68m]) and Kaylyn Schultz (5-4.25 [1.63m]) each had season-best days in the high jump, taking fourth and fifth, respectively.
- Desmine Hilliard made his debut in the discus with a seventh-place showing after a throw of 180-4 [54.98m].
STAT OF THE DAY
9 - the number of times that were not wind-legal for Baylor athletes on a breezy day in Austin
TOP QUOTE #1
"Considering the conditions down there, I thought TJ (Holmes) had an outstanding performance. He is starting to execute like Coach Hart wants him to. He is starting to make adjustments. He is doing a super job." - head coach Todd Harbour on Holmes' event win
TOP QUOTE #2
"A lot of the straight away races were over the allowable limit in terms of wind. The group that we took down there battled hard. It was what it was today. It was just a typical Texas spring day and windy." - head coach Todd Harbour
TOP QUOTE #3
"Annie got her school record on the first jump. She didn't have a miss until 14-4. She looked really good." - head coach Todd Harbour on Annie Rhodes performance
Baylor will host the Michael Johnson Classic at Hart-Patterson Track and Field Stadium on Saturday, April 19. It will be the final collegiate track meet at the venue, before BU moves into a new home next season.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
4. Ashley Fields (SO) - 11.53 (season best)
7. Kehri Jones (JR) - 11.69 (ties collegiate best)
15. Justine Charbonnet - 12.07w
3. Everett Walker (SR) - 10.21w
9. Alex Reece (SO) - 10.47w
5. Ashley Fields (SO) - 23.35w
10. Justise Dayries (SO) - 23.79w
13. Kehri Jones (JR) - 24.04
14. Raena Rhone (JR) - 24.16
5. Everett Walker (SR) - 20.68w
4. Raena Rhone (JR) - 54.25 (season best)
11. Calesia Henson (SR) - 57.70 (personal best)
19. Taije Jordan (SO) - 59.19
2. Isaiah Duke (SO) - 47.34 (season best)
6. Karrie Butler (JR) - 48.88
9. Drew Seale (SR) - 49.44
4. Kristina Brown (SR) - 2:12.53 (personal best)
9. Katie Grovatt (FR) - 2:16.23
14. Meredith Jackson (SO) - 2:20.71
16. Randy Dias II (FR) - 1:58.82 (season best)
23. Blake Bostick (FR) - 2:12.11
15. Alexis Reamer (FR) - 5:10.15 (season best)
13. Blake Bostick (FR) - 4:21.61
9. Jessica Shadley (SR) - 14.27 (personal best)
10. Dannielle Davis (JR) - 14.32 (collegiate best)
17. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - 14.89w
20. Carlyn Grandcolas (FR) - 15.57w
3. Bryce Grace (SO) - 13.83w
6. Michelle Nwachukwu (SR) - 1:02.70
12. Taylor Houston (FR) - 1:07.18 (season best)
1. TJ Holmes (FR) - 51.84 (collegiate best)
2. Sarah Guhl (SO) - 11:40.05 (personal best)
4. Lauren Cook (JR) - 5-6 [1.68m] (season best)
5. Kaylyn Schultz (SO) - 5-4.25 [1.63m] (season best)
-- Jessica Shadley (SR) - NH
-- Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - NH
5. Hayden Loudenslager (SR) - 6-4 [1.93m]
9. Dannielle Davis (JR) - 18-3.75 [5.58m]
15. Carlyn Grandcolas (FR) - 17-7 [5.36m]
21. Justine Charbonnet (SR) - 16-9.75 [5.12m]
4. Kaitlin West (JR) - 38-4.25 [11.69m]
5. Cion Hicks (FR) - 46-0.5 [14.03m]