April 14, 2012
Junior Justin Allen ran the leadoff leg of Baylor's winning 4x400-meter relay team.
LUBBOCK, Texas - Junior thrower Skylar White won two events and broke the school discus record to claim two of Baylor's five wins on the day at a very windy Texas Tech Open on Saturday in Lubbock, Texas.
With a large weather front lying around the state of Texas, Baylor and the rest of the field battled 25-30 mile-per-hour winds all day at the Fuller Track and Field Complex. The day featured a multitude of marks with wind readings over the NCAA qualifying allowable speed of 4.0 meters/second.
BU managed to come away with a total of five victories, including White in both the shot put and discus, Jasmine Adekoya in the hammer, Jessica Ubanyionwu in the triple jump and the men's 4x400-meter relay.
Baylor's women had a spectacular day in the field events, collecting a total of four victories. On her way to another school record, White made a big jump in the discus national rankings, while also holding strong with a win in the shot put. In the discus, White claimed the BU record by more than 11 feet with her winning toss of 189 feet, two inches, and moved into second in the nation in the process. Earlier in the day, White out-threw the shot put field by nearly a foot to win with a toss of 55-0.25.
White's fellow thrower, sophomore Adekoya, also had a career day with a win in the hammer throw. Adekoya uncorked a 15-foot career-best with a throw of 177-5, the second-best individual all-time at Baylor.
Ubanyionwu added the fourth win in the women's field events with an outdoor season-best leap of 42-0.5 in the triple jump. Ubanyionwu also added a fourth-place finish in the long jump with a leap of 19-1.25.
The Baylor men's 4x400-meter relay capped the day with a win from the crew of Justin Allen, James Gilreath, Drew Seale and Zwede Hewitt. With a time of 3:05.49, Baylor captured its first win in the event since the Drake Relays last season. Baylor's women placed second in the 4x400 relay with a time of 3:40.27 from the team of Raena Rhone, Alyssa Nichols, Brittany OgunMokun and Diamond Richardson
In the sprints, Baylor turned in some solid finishes with a few wind-aided marks mixed in. Sophomore Tiffani McReynolds earned a pair of third-place finishes, turning in wind-aided marks of 11.22 in the 100 meters and 23.18 in the 200 meters. McReynolds also anchored Baylor's third-place 4x100-meter relay team that included Justine Charbonnet, Alyssa Nichols and Diamond Richardson for a time of 45.79.
On the men's side, the wind subsided enough for the duo of Allen and Whitney Prevost to earn marks legal for NCAA qualifying. Allen finished third at 20.59 and Prevost was one spot back in fourth at 20.69. The pair now gives the Baylor men a total of five runners under 20.85 this season.
On the women's side, junior Ivorie Walker and sophomore Michelle Nwachukwu each turned in runner-up finishes. Walker finished strong into a headwind to place second in the 800 meters with a career-best time of 2:16.74, while Nwachukwu also battled the wind in the 400 hurdles for her runner-up finish in 1:03.25. In the men's 400 hurdles, senior Philip Raaf was just .07 off his career-best with a fourth-place finish in 52.77.
In the men's 100 meters, junior Everett Walker finished fourth overall with a time of 10.27, while Prevost had his best time of the year at 10.37 to place sixth.
Junior Christina Holland had a solid race in the 100 hurdles, placing fourth overall with a wind-aided time of 13.98. Also for the women, Rhone looked strong in her 400-meter race, turning in a time of 55.98 to place fifth overall, Taylor Torres neared her career-best with a fourth-place discus toss of 146-9.
Baylor will be back in action at its lone home meet of the season for the Michael Johnson/Dr Pepper Classic on April 21 at the Hart Patterson Track and Field Complex. BU will also hold a ceremony during the meet to honor its senior class.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
w = wind-aided marks over NCAA qualifying 4.0 m/s
3. Tiffani McReynolds (SO) - 11.22w
10. Justine Charbonnet (SO) - 11.89w
11. Idia Omogiate (JR) - 11.92w
4. Everett Walker (JR) - 10.27
6. Whitney Prevost (SR) - 10.37
9. Eric Bostick (JR) - 10.55
36. Henry Vildosola (SO) - 11.86
3. Tiffani McReynolds (SO) - 23.18w
7. Diamond Richardson (SR) - 23.57w
16. Idia Omogiate (JR) - 24.28w
17. Justine Charbonnet (SO) - 24.54w
3. Justin Allen (JR) - 20.59
4. Whitney Prevost (SR) - 20.69
7. Everett Walker (JR) - 20.91
32. Dennis Scruggs (SR) - 22.40
5. Raena Rhone (FR) - 55.98
10. Calesia Henson (SO) - 59.54
-- Alyssa Nichols (SO) - NT (timing error)
-- Brittany OgunMokun (JR) - NT (timing error)
4. Zwede Hewitt (SR) - 46.62
6. James Gilreath (SR) - 47.49
15. Drew Seale (JR) - 48.83
20. Joe Barb (JR) - 49.68
2. Ivorie Walker (JR) - 2:16.74 (Career-best)
5. Lizzy Whitney (JR) - 2:19.20
13. Kristina Brown (SO) - 2:27.23
15. Taylor Thorpe (FR) - 2:30.40
18. Courtney Cox (FR) - 2:35.18
10. Jesse Brooks (SO) - 1:58.90
11. Bree Schrader (FR) - 4:58.59
8. Taylor Jackson (SO) - 4:10.48
12. Blake Niccum (JR) - 4:14.62
15. Matt Galvin (FR) - 4:16.97
20. Ben Allen (JR) - 4:20.42
100 Hurdles - Women
4. Christina Holland (JR) - 13.98w
12. Michelle Ratliffe (SO) - 14.90w
17. Lauren Rover (SO) - 16.24
110 Hurdles - Men
12. Eric Bostick (JR) - 15.29w
17. Hunter Brook (SO) - 15.64w
22. Henry Vildosola (SO) - 16.31w
2. Michelle Nwachukwu (SO) - 1:03.25
4. Philip Raaf (SR) - 52.77
4x100-Meter Relay - Women
3. Baylor (Charbonnet, Nichols, Richardson, McReynolds) - 45.79
2. Baylor 'A' (Rhone, Nichols, OgunMokun, Richardson) - 3:40.27
3. Baylor 'B' (Holland, Omogiate, Nwachukwu, Whitney) - 3:43.20
1. Baylor (Allen, Gilreath, Seale, Hewitt) - 3:05.49
5. Lauren Cook (FR) - 5-3.75 [1.62m]
6. Jennifer Gueldner (FR) - 5-1.75 [1.57m]
3. Kyle Cash (SR) - 6-6.25 [1.99m]
7. Hayden Loudenslager (SO) - 6-4.25 [1.94m]
8. Hunter Brook (SO) -- 6-4.25 [1.94m]
Pole Vault - Women
8. Becca Luedeker (FR) - 11-0.25 [3.36m]
10. Kim Parr (FR) - 10-6.25 [3.21m]
10. Angel Tsai (SO) - 10-6.25 [3.21m]
12. Jennifer Gueldner (SO) - 10-6.25 [3.21m]
4. Jessica Ubanyionwu (SR) - 19-1.25 [5.82m]
7. Michelle Ratliff (SO) - 18-7.75w [5.68m]
11. Justine Charbonnet (SO) - 18-2.5w [5.55m]
-- Jessica Gabler (JR) - ND
7. Henry Vildosola (SO) - 22-9.25w [6.94m]
-- Eric Bostick (JR) - ND
Triple Jump - Women
1. Jessica Ubanyionwu (SR) - 42-0.5 [12.81m]
6. Kaitlin West (FR) - 36-10.25w [11.23m]
8. Jessica Gabler (JR) - 36-5w [11.10m]
Shot Put - Women
1. Skylar White (JR) - 55-0.25 [16.77m]
-- Allyson Anderson (SO) - ND
-- Lauren Rover (SO) - ND
Discus - Women
1. Skylar White (JR) - 189-2 [57.67m] (School record, Current No. 2 in NCAA)
4. Taylor Torres (SO) - 146-9 [44.73m]
8. Jasmine Adekoya (SO) - 125-1 [38.14m]
Hammer Throw - Women
1. Jasmine Adekoya (SO) - 177-5 [54.09m]
5. Taylor Torres (SO) - 125-5 [38.22m]
-- Michelle Ratliff (SO) - ND
-- Lauren Rover (SO) - ND
3. Henry Vildosola (SO) - 157-5 [47.99m]
6. Eric Bostick (JR) - 152-5 [46.45m]
-- Hunter Brook (SO) - ND