AUSTIN, Texas - In what has become a common occurrence for the Baylor track and field team this outdoor season, the Bears were led by their throwers on Saturday at the Texas Invitational inside Mike A. Myers Track Stadium.
"All our athletes did a great job today," head coach Todd Harbour said. "We wanted to use this meet to allow everyone to get done what they needed to get done heading into our stretch run. We had some athletes step up, while we also rested some others, but overall it was a good day."
For the fourth time this outdoor season, junior Erin Atkinson broke the school record in the hammer throw with a mark of 213-2 [64.97m]. That heave is 21 inches longer than her previous school record, which she set last week at the Florida Relays. It currently ranks seventh in the NCAA.
Skylar White won both the shot put and discus competitions at a single meet for the second time this season. She triumphed in the shot put with a mark of 55-2 [16.81m], which is a season best as well as the sixth-best heave in school history. The throw is currently 10th-best in the collegiate ranks.
In the discus event, White recorded a throw of 181-0 [55.16m], which is a season best, the third best in school history and currently fourth in the nation.
The javelin throwers also contributed to BU's success on the day as Taylor Torres carded a personal-best mark of 133-4 to be fourth, while Blake Mayberry (195-6 [59.60m]) and Richard Hansen (189-11 [57.89m]) were second and third, respectively, on the men's side.
Rounding out Baylor's top-five finishers in the field events, Kaitlin West took second in the triple jump with a leap of 39-6 [12.04m]. In the large jump event, Brianna Richardson tallied a season-best mark of 19-2.75 [5.86m] to be fourth, while Justine Charbonnet was fourth in 19-2.5 [5.85m]. Felix Obi placed second on the men's side with a jump of 23-4 [7.11m].
Later in the afternoon, the focus shifted to the running events.
In the sprints, Ashley Fields claimed second in 11.67 at the 100-meter distance. Teammate Kehri Jones had a record-setting day with personal bests in the 100 and 200-meter races. She was eighth at the shorter distance in 11.84 and eighth in the 200-meter dash in 24.22.
Blake Heriot and Justin Allen led the BU men in the sprints. Heriot set his personal-best with a time of 10.45 in the 100-meters to be second, while also nabbing second at the 200-meter distance in 20.86. Allen had a season-best time of 21.42 in the 200 to earn seventh, while establishing a new personal record in the 400-meters with a time of 47.00.
Bryce Grace broke the 14-second barrier for the first time in his career to take home second in the 110-meter hurdles in a time of 13.94.
In the 3,000-meters, Brad Miles (8:34.52) and JR Hardy (8:35.66) both set personal records by garnering third and fourth in the race.
Baylor will continue its outdoor season next week as the Bears host the Michael Johnson Classic at the Hart-Patterson Track and Field Complex on Sat., April 20.
Follow @BaylorTrack on Twitter for updates on the team all season.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
2. Ashley Fields (FR) - 11.67
6. Kehri Jones (SO) - 11.84 (personal-best)
9. Justise Dayries (FR) - 12.01
17. Justine Charbonnet (JR) - 12.16
21. Taije Jordan (FR) - 12.43
23. Jessica Gabler (SR) - 12.65 (personal-best)
24. Dannielle Davis (SO) - 12.66
2. Blake Heriot (JR) - 10.45 (personal-best)
17. Bryce Grace (FR) - 11.13
20. Felix Obi (FR) - 11.29
-- Alex Reece (FR) - FS
8. Kehri Jones (SO) - 24.22 (personal-best)
11. Justise Dayries (FR) - 24.34 (season-best)
14. Raena Rhone (SO) - 24.68
15. Idia Omogiate (JR) - 24.72
23. Alyssa Nichols (JR) - 25.43
29. Brianna Richardson - 26.07
34. Lauren Rover (JR) - 27.62
-- Taije Jordan (FR) - DNF
2. Blake Heriot (JR) - 20.86
7. Justin Allen (SR) - 21.42 (season-best)
8. Alex Reece (FR) - 21.44
12. Richard Gary (FR) - 21.80 (season-best)
18. Bryce Grace (FR) - 22.48
8. Michelle Nwachukwu (JR) - 55.69
20. Alyssa Nichols (JR) - 58.09
22. Calesia Henson (JR) - 58.25
4. Justin Allen (SR) - 47.00 (personal-best)
t5. Isaiah Duke (FR) - 47.46 (ties season-best)
7. Joe Barb (JR) - 47.51 (season-best)
10. Richard Gary (FR) - 47.78
11. Drew Seale (SR) - 47.86 (season-best)
8. Ivorie Walker (JR) - 2:13.30 (personal-best)
9. Angela Tharpe (FR) - 2:14.36 (personal-best)
11. Lizzy Whitney (SR) - 2:15.67
18. Meredith Jackson (FR) - 2:19.33 (personal-best)
21. Lauren Stevens (SO) - 2:21.24 (personal-best)
22. Courtney Cox (SO) - 2:23.05 (season-best)
23. Jenna Henrich (FR) - 2:23.07 (personal-best)
17. Jesse Brooks (SO) - 1:56.81 (personal-best)
19. Derwin Graham (SO) - 1:57.65 (personal-best)
21. Chris McElroy (FR) - 1:58.51 (personal-best)
23. Ben Allen (SR) - 1:59.95
5. Rachel Johnson (SO) - 4:36:56
13. Bree Schrader (SO) - 4:47.93 (personal-best)
16. Kristina Brown (JR) - 4:53.52
4. Taylor Jackson (SR) - 3:55.57
9. Derwin Graham (SO) - 4:01.02 (personal-best)
12. Chris McElroy (FR) - 4:05.58 (personal-best)
13. Lauren Hierholzer (FR) - 10:38.98 (season-best)
3. Bradley Miles (JR) - 8:34.52 (personal-best)
4. JR Hardy (FR) - 8:35.66 (season-best)
7. Blake Niccum (SR) - 8:43.82 (personal-best)
9. Kyle Scanlan (FR) - 8:46.29 (season-best)
10. Matt Cochran (FR) - 8:46.79 (season-best)
7. Taije Jordan (FR) - 14.05
8. Christina Holland (SR) - 14.12
15. Dannielle Davis (SO) - 14.69
21. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 15.50
23. Lauren Rover (JR) - 15.95 (season-best)
2. Bryce Grace (FR) - 13.94 (personal-best)
2. Baylor (Charbonnet, Fields, Omogiate, Dayries) - 45.37
6. Sarah Guhl (SO) - 11:46.18
5. Kaylyn Schultz (FR) - 5-3.75 [1.62m]
7. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 5-3.75 [1.62m]
10. Lauren Cook (SO) - 5-3.75 [1.62m] (season-best)
-- Lauren Rover (JR) - NH
-- Jennifer Gueldner (JR) - NH
7. Hayden Loudenslager (JR) - 6-2.75 [1.90m]
-- Jennifer Gueldner (JR) - NH
-- Rebecca Luedeker (JR) - NH
-- Kim Parr (SO) - NH
4. Brianna Richardson (FR) - 19-2.75 [5.86m] (season-best)
5. Justine Charbonnet (JR) - 19-2.5 [5.85m]
11. Dannielle Davis (SO) - 18-3 [5.56m]
21. Jessica Gabler (SR) - 17-0.75 [5.20m]
24. Lauren Rover (JR) - 16-3.0 [4.95m]
25. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 15-9 [4.80m]
2. Felix Obi (FR) - 23-4 [7.11m]
9. Kaleb Moore (FR) - 21-8.75 [6.62m]
1. Skylar White (SR) - 55-2 [16.81m] (season-best, sixth-best in school history, 10th-best in NCAA)
1. Skylar White (SR) - 181-0 [55.16m] (season-best, 3rd-best in school history, currently 4th-best in NCAA)
15. Taylor Torres (JR) - 136-8 [41.65m]
6. Desmine Hilliard (SO) - 174-6 [53.18m]
-- Justin Schappell (SO) - Foul
4. Taylor Torres (JR) - 133-4 [40.63m] (personal best)
8. Lauren Rover (JR) - 115-5 [35.19m]
13. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 89-5 [27.25m]
-- Michelle Ratliff (SR) - ND
2. Blake Mayberry (SO) - 195-6 [59.60m]
3. Richard Hansen (SO) - 189-11 [57.89m]