April 21, 2013
Complete Results |
WACO, Texas - With many past stars in attendance, Baylor's current group of track and field athletes won 11 event titles on Saturday at the Hart-Patterson Track and Field Complex.
"Today was a great ending to a great weekend," head coach Todd Harbour said. "The weather cooled down as the day wore on and I think that affected some of our performances, but overall it was a good day. Our field event people had a great day again, but we also had a lot of solid performances on the track."
The bulk of the field event work was done by Baylor's thrower Skylar White, who captured both the shot put and discus title in the same meet for the second straight meet and the third time this outdoor season.
In the shot put, the senior from Desoto, Texas, produced a throw of 53-6.25 [16.41m] to win. That mark came on the last throw of the day and it was her third-best effort of 2013. In the discus, White throwing into a cross wind tallied a mark of 172-4 [52.52m].
White's fellow thrower, Erin Atkinson won her fourth outdoor meet of the year with a mark 207-6 [63.24m] in the hammer throw. BU discus thrower Desmine Hilliard followed the example of Atkinson and Walker as he posted a second place finish with a throw of 179-7 [54.75m]. The javelin throwers also had a good day for BU as Blake Mayberry was fourth in 201-8 [61.46m] and Richard Hansen had a personal best of 199-8 [60.86m].
Baylor's women's relay squads pulled off an impressive feat as the 4x100 group of Justine Charbonnnet Ashley Fields
, Idia Omogiate
and Ranea Rhone took first in 45.29. Pulling double duty Omogiate, Fields and Rhone joined with Brittany OgunMokun
to win the 4x400-yard relay with a mark of 3:39.40.
The men's quarter-mile relay group placed first as well with Joe Barb, Isaiah Duke, Drew Seale and Blake Heriot nabbing a 3:09.81.
Individually, Fields had a really solid day as she took fourth in the 100-meters (11.76) and then won the 200-meters in 23.66.
In the 8000-meters, three women were under 2:10 as Olicia Williams (2:08.00), OgunMokun (2:08.47) and Mariah Kelly (2:09.22) were third, fourth and fifth, respectively. The mark was a personal-best for Williams and Kelly. In the 1,500-meters, BU had the third and fourth place finishers in the event with Rachel Johnson (4:40.85) leading the way and Bree Schrader (4:43.52) notching a personal-best.
The men also had two top-five finishers in the 1,500-meters as Derwin Grahma turned in a 3:59.00 to be fourth and Chris McElroy securing fifth in 4:01.42.
Senior Christina Holland starred in two events as she earned a third-place finish in the 100-hurdles in 13.59, while winning the 400-hurdles in 58.57. Fellow hurdler Bryce Grace was second in the 110-hurdle distance with time of 14.20.
Jumper Felix Obi took third in the long jump with a leap of 23-6 [7.16m}. He went on to be second in the triple jump at 51-9.75 [15.79m].
On the women's side in the event, Brianna Richardson notched a personal-best jump of 42-6 [12.95m]. Richardson also recorded a personal-best in the long jump with a leap of 19-4 [5.90m] to be fourth. Her teammate, Justine Charbonnet, narrowly edge her to be third with a mark of 19-6.25 [5.95m].
In the 3,000-meter steeplechase event Sarah Guhl took third for BU in 11:56.21, while the men got a win from Taylor Jackson as he ran a 9:27.34.
That win propelled BU's men's distance crew to record three top-five finishes in the 5,000 meters. Brad Miles was the first to cross the line in that trio with a time of 15:01.08. He was followed by JR Hardy (15:12.71) and Kyle Scanlan (15:19.95).
One final bright for BU in the field events was Lauren Cook, who established a personal-best in the high jump with a leap of 5-7 [1.70m] to place fourth.
Baylor will now take next weekend off from competition, before hosting the Big 12 Outdoor Track and Field Championships at the Hart-Patterson Track and Field Complex, May 3-5.
Follow @BaylorTrack on Twitter for updates on the team all season.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
Women - Afternoon
2. Justise Dayries (FR) - 12.02
3. Justine Charbonnet (JR) - 12.04
16. Arryss Mills (JR) - 12.76
Women - Evening
4. Ashley Fields (FR) --11.76
9. Kehri Jones (SO) - 11.98
Men - Afternoon
18. Bryce Grace (FR) - 11.24
Men - Evening
6. Alex Reece (FR) 10.69
2. Kehri Jones (SO) - 24.45
4. Idia Omogiate (JR) - 24.65
21. Arryss Mills (JR) - 26.42
23. Jessica Shadley - 26.68
24. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 27.51
25. Lauren Rover (JR) - 27.59
1. Ashley Fields (FR) - 23.66
10. Justise Dayries (FR) - 24.47
8. Alex Reece (FR) - 21.68
11. Calesia Henson (JR) - 58.25
4. Raena Rhone (SO) - 53.91
6. Idia Omogiate (JR) - 54.98 (personal best)
10. Michelle Nwachukwu (JR) - 57.03
11. Alyssa Nichols (JR) - 58.43
8. Blake Heriot (JR) - 46.73
16. Isaiah Duke (FR) - 47.43 (personal best)
17. Drew Seale (SR) - 47.71
23. Joe Barb (JR) - 48.18
24. Justin Allen (SR) - 48.36
26. Richard Gary (FR) - 48.83
11. Meredith Jackson (FR) - 2:20.42
13. Courtney Cox (SO) - 2:22.50
14. Lauren Stevens (SO) - 2:22.59
15. Jenna Henrich (FR) - 2:22.61 (personal best)
3. Olicia Williams (FR) -- 2:08.00 (personal best)
4. Brittany OgunMokun (SR) - 2.08.47
5. Mariah Kelly (SO) - 2:09.22 (personal best)
7. Angela Tharpe (FR) - 2:12.31 (personal best)
8. Lizzy Whitney (SR) - 2;13.18
9. Ivorie Walker (JR) - 2:13.96
Men - Afternoon
16. Greg Bostick (FR) - 1:57.74
22.Jesse Brooks (SO) - 1:59.14
-- Ben Allen (SR) - DNS
-- Chris McElroy (FR) - DNS
Men - Evening
7. Gavyn Nero (SR) - 1:53.36
2. Kristina Brown (JR) - 4:48.88
5. Erika Overbeck (FR) - 4:56.21
-- Courtney Cox (SO) - DNS
3. Rachel Johnson (SO) - 4:40.85
4. Bree Schrader (SO) - 4:43.52 (personal best)
4. Derwin Graham (SO) - 3:59.00
5. Chris McElroy (FR) - 4:01.42
6. Jonathan Tijerina (JR) - 4:01.46
8. Ben Allen (SR) - 4:11.82
-- Taylor Jackson (SR) - DNS
5. Jessica Shadley (JR) - 14.75
12. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - 15.37 (personal best)
16. Lauren Rover (JR) - 15.89
-- Danielle Davis (SO) - DNF
3. Christina Holland (SR) - 13.59
2. Bryce Grace (FR) - 14.20
1. Christina Holland (SR)-- 58.57
1. Baylor (Charbonnet, Fields, Omogiate, Dayries) - 45:28
1. Baylor A (Omogiate, Fields, OgunMokun, Rhone) - 3:39.40
5. Baylor B (Nwachukwu, Williams, Nichols, Whitney) - 3:50.39
7. Baylor C (Henson, Walker, Tharpe, Brown) - 3:54.21
1. Baylor A (Barb, Duke, Seale, Heriot) - 3:09.81
3. Sarah Guhl (SO) - 11:56.21
1. Taylor Jackson (SR) - 9:27.34
6. Lauren Hierholzer (FR) 18:32.73
1. Bradley Miles (JR) - 15:01.08
2. JR Hardy (FR) - 15:12.71
4. Kyle Scanlan (FR) - 15:19.95
6. Blake Niccum (SR) - 15:23.96
12. Matt Cochran (FR) - 15:57.13
4. Lauren Cook (SO) - 5-7.0 [1.70m]
6. Kaylyn Schultz (FR) - 5-5.0 [1.65m]
12. Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) 5-5.0 [1.65m]
17. Lauren Rover (JR) 5-3.0 [1.60m]
18. Jennifer Gueldner (JR) 5-1.0 [1.55m]
18. Jessica Shadley (JR) 5-1.0 [1.55m]
-- Hayden Loudenslager (JR) - NH
13. Rebecca Luedeker (JR) - 10-6 [3.20m]
15. Kim Parr (SO) - 10-6 [3.20m]
-- Jennifer Gueldner (JR) - NH
3. Justine Charbonnet (JR) - 19-6.25 [5.96m]
4. Brianna Richardson (FR) - 19-4 [5.90m] (personal best)
12. Jessica Gabler (SR) - 17-11.75 [5.48m]
16. Dannielle Davis (SO) - 17-8.75 [5.40m]
21. Jessica Shadley (JR) - 17-4.25 [5.29m]
--. Lauren Rover (JR) - ND
-- Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - ND
3. Felix Obi (FR) - 23-6 [7.16m]
12. Kaleb Moore (FR) - 22-7 [6.88m]
1. Brianna Richardson (FR) - 42-6.0 [12.95m] (personal best, 13th in NCAA)
2. Felix Obi (FR) - 51-09.75 [15.79m]
1. Skylar White (SR) - 53-6.25 [16.31m]
11. Desmine Hilliard (SO) - 52-8.75 [16.07m]
20. Justin Schappell (SO) - 42-6 [12.95m]
1. Skylar White (SR) - 172-4 [52.52m]
6. Taylor Torres (JR) - 150-2 [45.77m]
2. Desmine Hilliard (SO) - 179-7 [54.75m]
23. Justin Schappell (SO) - 136-6 [41.61m] (personal best)
12. Taylor Torres (JR) - 124-8 [38.00m]
15. Lauren Rover (JR) - 118-1 [35.99m]
-- Jessica Shadley (JR) - ND
-- Jenna Pfeiffer (FR) - ND
-- Allyson Anderson (JR) - ND
4. Blake Mayberry (SO) - 201-8 [61.46m]
5. Richard Hansen (SO) - 199-8 [60.86m] (personal best)
1. Erin Atkinson (JR) - 207-6 [63.24m]
17. Jasmine Adekoya (JR) - 138-9 [42.30]