April 25, 2014
DES MOINES, Iowa - On the second day of the Drake Relays, the Baylor track and field team was led by its hurdlers as Tiffani McReynolds and Bryce Grace both qualified for their event's finals on Friday at Drake Stadium.
McReynolds placed third in the 100-meter hurdles in a time of 13.38 and Grace was seventh with time a time of 14.16 in the 110-meter hurdle event.
In the relays, the Baylor women's 4x400-meter relay of Alyssa Nichols, Ashley Fields, Michelle Nwachukwu and Raena Rhone posted a season-best mark of 3:33.07 to be first in the prelims o the event.
On the men's side, the crew of Isaiah Duke, TJ Holmes, Drew Seale and Blake Heriot produced a season-best time of 3:05.86 to qualify second in the event.
In the women's 4x800-meter race, Mariah Kelly, Maggie Montoya, Kristina Brown and Olicia Williams placed second in a time of 8:38.73. That time was fourth-best in Baylor history.
Both Trayvon Bromell and Everett Walker qualified for the finals of the 100 meters with times of 10.16 and 10.51 to be first and eighth, respectively in the prelims of the 100-meter dash.
Baylor's 4x100-meter relay team of Bromell, Alex Reece, Walker and Blake Heriot had the fastest preliminary time of 39.16. Meanwhile, Baylor's women's 4x1 crew of Kehri Jones, Ashley Jones, Alyssa Nichols and Justice Dayries also qualified for the finals with a seventh-place showing in a time of 45.13.
- Kaylyn Schultz took 13th with a personal-best mark of 5-7.75 [1.72m] in the high jump.
- Cion Hicks was seventh in the discus with a throw of 158-5 [48.29m].
- Blake Mayberry was sixth in the javelin with a mark of 198-11 [60.52m].
STAT OF THE DAY
3.5 - the number of inches that Kaylyn Schultz improved upon her season-best in the high jump
TOP QUOTE #1
"It was a really, really good day. There were a lot of positive performances across the board. We are set up to have a really good day on Saturday. It was just a good day overall and the weather was great. We are just looking forward to a great day tomorrow."
Baylor will be back in action at the Drake Relays on Saturday. BU's day begins with the hammer throw at 9 a.m. with the sprint medley relay opening the running events at 10 a.m.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
1. Trayvon Bromell (FR) - 10.16Q
8. Everett Walker (SR) - 10.51q
-- Alex Reece (SO) - DNS
3. Tiffani McReynolds (JR) - 13.38Q
12. Taije Jordan (SO) - 13.76
7. Bryce Grace (SO) - 14.16q
7. Baylor A (Kehri Jones, Ashley Fields, Alyssa Nichols, Justise Dayries) - 45.13q
1. Baylor A (Alex Reece, Blake Heriot, Everett Walker, Trayvon Bromell) - 39.16Q
-- Baylor A (Trayvon Bromell, Alex Reece, Everett Walker, Blake Heriot) - DNS
Women - Prelims
1. Baylor A (Alyssa Nichols, Ashley Fields, Michelle Nwachukwu, Raena Rhone) - 3:33.07Q
Men - Prelims
2. Baylor A (Isaiah Duke, TJ Holmes, Drew Seale, Blake Heriot) - 3:05.86Q
Women - Finals
2. Baylor A (Mariah Kelly, Maggie Montoya, Kristina Brown, Olicia Williams) - 8:38.73 (fourth best in school history)
13. Kaylyn Schultz (SO) - 5-7.75 [1.72m] (personal best)
-- Lauren Cook (JR) - DNS
-- Cion Hicks (FR) - DNS
7. Cion Hicks (FR) - 158-5 [48.29m]
15. Taylor Torres (SR) - 140-3 [42.76m]
19. Taylor Torres (SR) - 129-7 [39.49m]
6. Blake Mayberry (SR) - 198-11 [60.62m]
17. Richard Hansen (JR) - 180-11 [55.15m]