May 3, 2014
AUSTIN, Texas - The Baylor track and field team claimed four event titles at the Longhorn Invitational on Saturday at Mike A. Myers Stadium.
BU was led by its hurdlers as Tiffani McReynolds won the 100-meter hurdles in a season-best time of 12.87. It was the second-fastest time of her career and therefore is the second-best mark in school history as she owns all 10 of BU's top hurdle times. That mark would have also ranked fourth in the NCAA and first in the Big 12 entering the weekend. McReynolds race came with a wind reading of 4.0 m/s, which is the highest allowable mark for NCAA qualifying times.
On the men's side, Bryce Grace tallied a personal-best mark of 13.64 to earn the 110-hurdle crown. The sophomore improved upon his previous personal-best by .3 seconds and now sits as the fourth-fastest hurdler in BU history. Jeff Jackson, Reyna Thompson and Davy Duncan are the only BU athletes to run faster times in a Bear uniform. Grace's time would have ranked tied for eighth in the NCAA and first in the Big 12 entering the weekend.
At the intermediate hurdle distance, TJ Holmes posted a collegiate best of 51.18 to earn the title. That time would have been 22nd nationally and second in the Big 12 entering the weekend.
Claiming the last win of the evening, the men's 4x400-meter relay team of Isaiah Duke, Everett Walker, Brandon Moore and Drew Seale turned in a time of 3:08.27 to outpace the rest of the field by over three seconds.
Senior Everett Walker was on the cusp of a big day as he originally placed second in the 200-meter dash with a season-best time of 20.40. However, Walker was later disqualified for stepping on the lane line too many times. He did place fifth in a season-best time of 10.19 at the 100-meter distance. That mark would have been tied for 12th in the NCAA and second in the Big 12 entering the weekend.
Baylor also had five runner-up finishes.
BU finished second on both the men's and women's side in javelin. Blake Mayberry carded a throw of 201-8 [49.51m] to finish as the runner-up on the men's side, while Taylor Torres produced throw of 138-5 [42.20m] to take silver.
Kaitlin West tallied a personal-best in the triple jump by over four inches as she took second in event with a leap of 40-6.75 [12.36m].
JR hardy took second in the 3,000 meters with a time of 8:47.43.
Sarah Guhl had a runner-up finish in the 3,000-meter steeplechase as she turned in a PR time of 11:26.82.
- Olicia Williams posted a season-best time in the 800-meters to be third in 2:06.03.
- Williams' teammate in the race Kristina Brown set a personal-best with a mark of 2:09.14 to be fifth.
- Taije Jordan tallied a personal -best mark in the 100-hurdles of 13.22 to be fifth.
- Brad Miles was fifth in the steeplechase event with a time of 9:41.91.
- Erin Atkinson was fifth in the hammer throw with a mark of 191-3 [58.31m].
- Annie Rhodes tied for fifth in the pole vault with a jump of 13-1.5 [4.00m]. That is fifth-best in school history.
- Isaiah Duke (47.24) and Alyssa Nichols (54.09) were both fifth in the men's and women's 400-meters, respectively.
- Laura Cook placed fifth in the high jump with a season-best tying leap of 5-6 [1.68m]
- Jenna Pfeiffer tallied a PR with a mark of 5-6 [1.68m] in the high jump.
STAT OF THE DAY
1 - the number of people in front of Taije Jordan on the Baylor individual top 10 list at the 100-hurdle distance. That won person is teammate Tiffani McReynolds, who owns all of the top-10 times in BU history.
TOP QUOTE #1
"Whenever you leave a lot of your team at home, it is sometimes hard to get up for the meet, but I thought our athletes did a really good job. We are heading into finals and this is our last tune-up before Big 12s, so some needed one last opportunity. I thought the ones that needed it the most really took advantage of it. We had some nice personal bests, some nice seasonal bests." - head coach Todd Harbour
Three Baylor women's distance runners, Rachel Johnson, Mariah Kelly and Maggie Montoya, will compete in the Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational on Sunday in Palo Alto, Calif. After this weekend's meets, Baylor will take a weekend off, before heading to Lubbock, Texas, for the Big 12 Championships, May 16-18.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
7. Tiffani McReynolds (JR) - 11.35 (season best personal-best wind legal time)
11. Kehri Jones (JR) - 11.53 (personal best)
14. Justise Dayries (SO) - 11.67 (season best)
30. Justine Charbonnet (SR) - 12.14 (season-best wind legal time)
5. Everett Walker (SR) - 10.19 (season-best wind legal time)
18. Alex Reece (SO) - 10.69
15. Justise Dayries (SO) - 23.79w
25. Raena Rhone (JR) - 24.20
-- Everett Walker (SR) - DQ (too many steps on line)
5. Alyssa Nichols (SR) - 54.09
5. Isaiah Duke (SO) - 47.24
8. Brandon Moore (FR) - 47.73
11. Drew Seale (SR) - 48.33 (season best)
3. Olicia Williams (SO) - 2:06.03 (season best)
5. Kristina Brown (SR) - 2:09.14 (personal best)
8. Katie Grovatt (FR) - 2:13.33
12. Jenna Henrich (SO) - 2:19.67 (personal best)
13. Lauren Stevens (JR) - 2:22.50 (season best)
8. Jonathan Tijerina (JR) - 1:55.08 (personal best)
10. Randy Dias II (FR) - 1:57.86
16. Courtney Cox (JR) - 4:55.43
7. Derwin Graham (JR) - 3:52.09
11. Greg Bostick (SO) - 3:58.74 (season best)
13. Chris McElroy (SO) - 4:04.82
2. JR Hardy (SO) - 8:47.43
6. Jordan West (FR) - 9:11.15
1. Tiffani McReynolds (JR) - 12.87 (season best, fourth nationally and second in school history)
5. Taije Jordan (SO) - 13.22 (personal best)
7. Dannielle Davis (JR) - 13.99 (personal best)
17. Jessica Shadley (SR) - 14.31
24. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - 14.93 (personal best)
1. Bryce Grace (SO) - 13.64 (personal best and third-best individual in school history)
9. Taije Jordan (SO) - 1:03.17
11. Michelle Nwachukwu (SR) - 1:03.55
1. TJ Holmes (FR) - 51.18 (collegiate best)
9. Bryce Grace (SO) - 57.66
2. Sarah Guhl (SO) - 11:26.82 (personal best)
5. Brad Miles (SR) - 9:41.91
1. Baylor A (Isaiah Duke, Everett Walker, Brandon Moore, Drew Seale) - 3:08.27
5. Lauren Cook (JR) - 5-6 [1.68m] (ties season best)
6. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - 5-6 [1.68m] (personal best)
7. Kaylyn Schultz (SO) - 5-4.25 [1.63m]
9. Jessica Shadley (SR) - 5-2.25 [1.58m] (season best)
11. Hayden Loudenslager (SR) - 6-4.75 [1.95m] (ties season best)
-- Henry Vildosola (SR) - NH
t5. Annie Rhodes (FR) - 13-1.5 [4.00m] (tied for fifth-best in school history)
-- Kim Parr (JR) - NH
16. Chase Hood (FR) - 15-7 [4.75m]
9. Dannielle Davis (JR) - 18-3 [5.56m]
12. Justine Charbonnet (SR) - 17-10.25 [5.44m]
15. Henry Vildosola (SR) - 22-0.75 [6.72m]
2. Kaitlin West (JR) - 40-6.75 [12.36m] (personal best)
7. Cion Hicks (FR) - 47-9 [14.55m]
14. Jessica Shadley (SR) - 33-1.25 [10.09m] (personal best)
15. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - 31-5.75 [9.59m] (personal best)
-- Michelle Ratliff - Foul
10. Hunter Brook (SR) - 38-6 [11.73m]
9. Taylor Torres (SR) - 147-3 [44.89m]
13. Cion Hicks (FR) - 122-5 [37.31m]
5. Desmine Hilliard (JR) - 179-2 [54.61m]
23. Hunter Brook (SR) - 108-6 [33.09m]
2. Taylor Torres (SR) - 138-5 [42.20m]
6. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - 110-0 [33.52m]
7. Jessica Shadley (SR) - 103-3 [31.47m]
9. Michelle Ratliff (SR) - 75-0 [22.86m]
2. Blake Mayberry (SR) - 201-8 [61.47m]
10. Henry Vildosola (SR) - 162-5 [49.51m]
11. Hunter Brook (SR) - 151-0 [46.04m] (season best)
5. Erin Atkinson (SR) - 191-3 [58.31m]