May 16, 2014
LUBBOCK, Texas - On the first day of the Big 12 Championships, the Baylor track and field team produced four All-Big 12 performances at the Fuller Track Stadium.
For a second-straight season, senior Erin Atkinson placed second in the hammer throw. She posted a toss of 195-3 [59.51m] on her second attempt that vaulted her into second-place. That mark would keep Atkinson in second for the remainder of the event. The senior has now earned All-Big 12 honors for three consecutive years in the hammer throw.
In the javelin, Blake Mayberry and Richard Hansen both recorded their second consecutive All-Big 12 performances. Mayberry, a senior, tallied his best throw of the day on his third attempt with a toss of 205-6 [62.65m]. That mark moved him into sixth and he remained in that spot until the conclusion of the event.
Hansen, a junior, saved his best throw for last as he carded a toss of 189-4 [57.70m]. However, Hansen's best throw didn't move him up in the standings as he stayed eighth.
To close out the night, freshman Alex Davis turned in a time of 36:24.99 to place eighth in her first-ever 10,000 meters.
On the opening day of the multi-events, Baylor's heptathlon and decathlon athletes put themselves in position for more All-Big 12 honors on day two.
Through four events in the heptathlon, Jessica Shadley is sixth with 3,069 points and Jenna Pfeiffer is 10th with 3,001 points. Shadley tallied PR marks in the shot put (33-5.75 [10.20m]) and the 200 meters (25.23). Meanwhile, Pfeiffer set personal-best in all four events contested. She went 14.88 in the 100-hurdles, jumped 5-7 [1.70m] in the high jump, threw 33-9.25 [10.29m] in the shot put and ran a 26.67 in the 200-meters.
In the decathlon, senior Henry Vildosola sits in fourth with 3,776 points and junior Hunter Brook is seventh with 3,122 points. Vildosola tallied PRs in the long jump (22-7.25 [6.89m]), the high jump (6-4 [1.93m]) and the 400 meters (50.55).
- Taylor Torres placed ninth in the women's javelin for a second-straight year. The senior came up seven-feet-two-inches short of an All-Big 12 honor.
- Matt Galvin took 18th in the 10,000-meters with a time of 32:22.65
STAT OF THE DAY
9 & 4 - the number of points that the Baylor women and men have scored after one day of competition, respectively. BU is fifth on the women's and eighth on the men's side.
TOP QUOTE #1
"I thought today we had some performances that were clearly outstanding. Our multis had a good day and our javelin throwers both got all-conference again." - head coach Todd Harbour on the first day of the Big 12 Championships
TOP QUOTE #2
"Erin was a warrior for us today. Nobody probably knows how much her back was bothering her this week. She injured it earlier this week, but she still came out here and competed hard. We are very, very proud of her." - Harbour on Erin Atkinson
Baylor athletes will be back on the track at 10 a.m. on Saturday with the continuation of the decathlon. Field events start at 3 p.m. and running events get underway at 6 p.m. on the second day of the Big 12 Track and Field Championships.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
8. Alex Davis (FR) - 36:24.99 (Earns first outdoor All-Big 12 honor)
11. Erin Hegarty (SO) - 36:54.32
-- Peyton Thomas (FR) - DNF
18. Matt Galvin (JR) - 32:22.65
2. Erin Atkinson (SR) - 195-3 [59.51m] (Earns third-straight outdoor All-Big 12 honor)
9. Taylor Torres (SR) - 137-5 [41.88m]
6. Blake Mayberry (SR) - 205-6 [62.65m] (Earns second-straight outdoor All-Big 12 honor)
8. Richard Hansen (SO) - 189-4 [57.70m] (Earns second-straight outdoor All-Big 12 honor)
Heptathlon #1 - 100 Hurdles
5. Jessica Shadley (SR) - 14.47
10. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - 14.88 (personal best)
Heptathlon #2 - High Jump
t3. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - 5-7 [1.70m] (personal best)
t6. Jessica Shadley (SR) - 5-3.25 [1.61m]
Heptathlon #3 - Shot Put
8. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - 33-9.25 [10.29m] (personal best)
10. Jessica Shadley (SR) - 33-5.75 [10.20m] (personal best)
Heptathlon #4 - 200 Meters
6. Jessica Shadley (SR) - 25.23 (personal best)
11. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - 26.67 (personal best)
Heptathlon Ranking (Through Four Events)
6. Jessica Shadley (SR) - 3,069
10. Jenna Pfeiffer (SO) - 3,001
Decathlon #1 - 100 Meters
5. Henry Vildosola (SR) - 11.36
7. Hunter Brook (JR) - 11.95 (season best)
Decathlon #2 - Long Jump
5. Henry Vildosola (SR) - 22-7.25 [6.89m] (personal best)
8. Hunter Brook (JR) - 18-11.25 [5.77m]
Decathlon #3 - Shot Put
3. Henry Vildosola (SR) - 43-2.25 [13.16m]
5. Hunter Brook (JR) - 40-9.75 [12.44m] (season best)
Decathlon #4 - High Jump
3. Henry Vildosola (SR) - 6-4 [1.93m] (personal best)
t4. Hunter Brook (JR) - 6-2.75 [1.90m] (season best)
Decathlon #5 - 400 Meters
4. Henry Vildosola (SR) - 50.55 (personal best)
8. Hunter Brook (JR) - 55.56 (season best)
Decathlon Ranking (Through Five Events)
4. Henry Vildosola (SR) - 3,776 points
7. Hunter Brook (SR) - 3,122 points