May 18, 2014
LUBBOCK, Texas - On the final day of the Big 12 Outdoor Track and Field Championships, the Baylor women's track and field team scored 93.5 points to tally a program-record 113.5 total points over three days of competition and earn a program-high second-place finish in the team competition at Fuller Track Stadium on Sunday.
Meanwhile, the Baylor men's team had three event champions to help it score 93 points and take fourth overall. That is BU's highest men's team finish since 2001 (4th) and highest point total since 1998 (101).
In total, Baylor had 34 competitors earn 54 All-Big 12 honors during the meet with 18 women tallying 30 honors and 16 men taking home 24 accolades. The women also had three event champions to give the program a combined six, which were its most since having seven in 1998.
Two of those event titles came in the final two races of the meet as the Baylor men's and women's 4x400-meter relays teams each took first.
First, the women's crew of Alyssa Nichols, Ashley Fields, Olicia Williams and Raena Rhone produced a season-best and stadium record time of 3:30.75 to win. Rhone closed with the fastest leg of 51.78 to clinch the victory. It was the fifth time the BU women have won the outdoor 4x400-meter title and the first since2009.
Next, the men's crew of TJ Holmes, Drew Seale, George Caddick and Blake Heriot won in a time of 3:06.24. It was the first time for the quartet to compete together and they used a great closing leg of 46.00 seconds from Heriot to beat Kansas State in the final stretch. It was the 13th time the BU men have been on top of the conference podium in the 4x4 and the first time since 2009.
Baylor also started the day strong as the men's 4x100-relay team won the event for the fifth time and the first time since 2010. Alex Reece, Heriot, Everett Walker and Trayvon Bromell blasted the rest of the field in 39.49.
In the next event, Rachel Johnson won the 3,000-meter steeplechase in 10:11.79. She is the second BU female athlete to earn a conference title in that event, joining Angela Marvin, who won the title in 2003.
Bromell also collected an individual event title as he wowed the crowd with a wind-aided 9.77 in the 100-meter dash. He is the first Baylor male to ever claim the Big 12 outdoor crown in that event. That time is third fastest in NCAA history regardless of wind conditions.
Tiffani McReynolds nabbed her second Big 12 100-meter hurdle title and the first since 2011 as she set a new school record with a time of 12.59. That mark also bettered the previous Big 12 record, but the wind was over the legal limit for Big 12 records. However, the time is still ranked No. 1 in the NCAA, because the wind was under that allowable limit of 4.0.
Baylor also had a bevy of second-place finishes.
Walker led a contingent of three Bears in the 200-meters with a time of 20.32 to take second. He was just .04 seconds outside of first. Heriot (20.52w) and Bromell (26.84w) finished third and eight, respectively, to give BU 15 points in the event.
Mariah Kelly finished second in the 1,500 meters for a second straight season as she turned in a time of 4:28.03.
Johnson recovered quickly from her win in the 3,000-meter steeplechase to place second in the 5,000-meters with a time of 17:04.88. Kelly also doubled in that event as she took eighth to gain another point for the Lady Bears with a time of 17:36.22.
Sophomore Bryce Grace added to a successful day for Baylor's hurdle crew as he was the runner-up in the 110-hurdles with a time of 13.66. He missed on the title by .02.
Before his successful opening leg in the 4x400-meter relay, Holmes took second in the 400-meter hurdles. He closed strong for a personal-best time of 49.98 and came up just .07 seconds short of NCAA Michael Stigler.
Brianna Richardson carded a personal-best in the triple jump of 43-9 [13.33m] to finish in second. She was out of first-place by only .75 inches. Kaitlin West took sixth in that event with a personal-best jump of 42-0 [12.80m] to earn her first All-Big 12 honor.
- Baylor's previous high point tally on the women's side was 106.5, which was set in 1999.
- Baylor also placed second on the women's side in 1999.
- Ashley Fields took third in the 200-meters with a wind-aided time of 22.63.
- McReynolds (3rd,11.21) and Fields (5th,11.38) each earned another individual All-Big 12 honor in the 100-meters along with Kehri Jones (8th, 11.59).
- McReynolds' time in the 100-dash was the fifth-best in school history.
- Walker placed fourth in the 100-dash with a wind-aided time of 9.98.
- Rhone (52.67) and Nichols (53.55) each had personal-best times in the 400-meters to take fourth and eighth, respectively.
- Heriot earned a third-straight All-Big 12 honor in the 400-meters with a sixth-place finish in 47.82, while Isaiah Duke was eighth in 50.38 for his first individual All-Big 12 accolade.
- BU had point scorers in both the men's and women's 800-meters. Brandon Moore was fourth in 1:51.49, while Olicia Williams was fifth in 2:10.73.
- Derwin Graham took fourth in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:35.19.
- Taije Jordan placed sixth in 100-hurdles with a time of 13.47.
Jonathan Tijerina was seventh in the 1,500 with a time of 3:59.10.
- The Baylor women's 4x100-meter relay opened the day with a time of 45.24 to be fifth. That team was made up of Kehri Jones, Ashley Fields, Alyssa Nichols and Justise Dayries.
- A day after taking seventh in the shot put competition, freshman Cion Hicks placed seventh in the discus event to earn another All-Big 12 honor with a throw of 163-3 [49.76m].
- On the men's side in the discus, Desmine Hilliard placed eighth with a throw of 176-10 [53.90m]. It was the second straight season that the junior has earned the honor.
- Kaylyn Schultz came up just short of All-Big 12 honors in the high jump with a leap of 5-0.25 [1.66m] to tie for ninth.
STAT OF THE DAY
206.5 - the combined number of points for the Baylor men and women in the 2014 Big 12 Championships.
TOP QUOTE #1
"I think it's the most Big 12 champions we've had, the highest point total for the women. ... It was probably one of the best conference meets we've ever had." - head coach Todd Harbour the Big 12 Championships
The Bears will now have a weekend off from competition, before competing at the NCAA West Preliminary Rounds in Fayetteville, Ark., May 29-31.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
All-Conference Performers (34 individuals, 54 honors)
Women (18 individuals, 30 honors )
Erin Atkinson (hammer throw), Alex Davis (10,000m), Justise Dayries (4x100 relay), Ashley Fields (100m, 200m, 4x100 relay, 4x400 relay), Cion Hicks (shot put, discus), Kehri Jones (100m, 4x100 relay), Rachel Johnson (3,000m steeplechase, 5,000m), Taije Jordan (100 hurdles), Mariah Kelly (1500m, 5,000m), Tiffani McReynolds (100m, 100 Hurdles), Alyssa Nichols (400m, 4x100 relay, 4x400 relay), Jenna Pfeiffer (heptathlon), Annie Rhodes (pole vault), Raena Rhone (400m, 4x400 relay), Brianna Richardson (triple jump), Jessica Shadley (heptathlon), Kaitlin West (triple jump), Olicia Williams (800m, 4x400 relay)
Men (16 individuals, 24 honors)
Trayvon Bromell (100m, 200m, 4x100 relay), Hunter Brook (decathlon), George Caddick (4x400 relay), Isaiah Duke (400m), Bryce Grace (110 Hurdles), Derwin Graham (3,000m steeplechase), Richard Hansen (javelin), Blake Heriot (200m, 400m, 4x100 relay, 4x400 relay), TJ Holmes (400 Hurdles, 4x400 relay), Blake Mayberry (javelin), Brandon Moore (800m), Alex Reece (4x100 relay), Drew Seale (4x400 relay), Jonathan Tijerina (1,500m), Henry Vildosola (decathlon), Everett Walker (100m, 200m, 4x100 relay)
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS (*Earned All-Big 12 honors)
100 Meters - Finals
3. Tiffani McReynolds (JR) - 11.21* (personal best & fifth-best in school history)
5. Ashley Fields (SO) - 11.38* (second straight All-Big 12 honor)
8. Kehri Jones (JR) - 11.59* (first All-Big 12 honor)
1. Trayvon Bromell (FR) - 9.77w* (first All-Big 12 honor in event)
4. Everett Walker (SR) - 9.98w* (second All-Big 12 honor in event)
200 Meters - Finals
3. Ashley Fields (SO) - 22.63w* (second straight All-Big 12 honor in event)
2. Everett Walker (SR) - 20.32w* (second All-Big 12 honor in event)
3. Blake Heriot (SR) - 20.52w* (third-straight All-Big 12 honor in event)
8. Trayvon Bromell (FR) - 26.84w* (first All-Big 12 honor in event)
400 Meters - Finals
4. Raena Rhone (JR) - 52.67* (personal best and second straight All-Big 12 honor)
8. Alyssa Nichols (SR) - 53.55* (personal best and second straight All-Big 12 honor)
6. Blake Heriot (SR) - 47.82* (third-straight All-Big 12 honor in event)
8. Isaiah Duke (SO) - 50.38* (first individual All-Big 12 outdoor honor)
800 Meters - Finals
5. Olicia Williams (SO) - 2:10.73* (second-straight All-Big 12 honor in event)
4. Brandon Moore (FR) - 1:51.49* (first All-Big 12 honor in event)
1,500 Meters - Finals
2. Mariah Kelly (SR) - 4:28.03* (second-straight All-Big 12 honor in event)
7. Jonathan Tijerina (JR) - 3:59.10* (first All-Big 12 outdoor honor)
5,000 Meters - Finals
2. Rachel Johnson (JR) - 17:04.88* (first All-Big 12 outdoor honor in event)
8. Mariah Kelly (SR) - 17:36.22* (first All-Big 12 outdoor honor in event)
13. Maggie Montoya (FR) - 17:47.23
14. Erin Hegarty (SO) - 17:49.58
100-Meter Hurdles - Finals
1. Tiffani McReynolds (JR) - 12.59* (school record and second Big 12 title in event)
6. Taije Jordan (SO) - 13.47* (first All-Big 12 outdoor honor in event)
110-Meter Hurdles - Finals
2. Bryce Grace (SO) - 13.66* (second All-Big 12 outdoor honor in event)
400-Meter Hurdles - Finals
2. TJ Holmes (FR) - 49.98* (personal best and first All-Big 12 honor)
3000-Meter Steeplechase - Finals
1. Rachel Johnson (JR) - 10:11.79* (third-straight All-Big 12 honor in event)
13. Sarah Guhl (SO) - 12:42.99
4. Derwin Graham (JR) - 9:35.19* (first All-Big 12 outdoor honor )
9. Brad Miles (SR) - 10:03.21
4x100-Meter Relay - Finals
5. Baylor (Kehri Jones, Ashley Fields, Alyssa Nichols, Justise Dayries) - 45.24*
1. Baylor (Alex Reece, Blake Heriot, Everett Walker, Trayvon Bromell) - 39.49*
4x400-Meter Relay - Finals
1.Baylor (Alyssa Nichols, Ashley Fields, Olicia Williams, Raena Rhone) - 3:30.75* (stadium record & season best and third best in program history)
1. Baylor (TJ Holmes, Drew Seale, George Caddick and Blake Heriot) - 3:06.24*
2. Brianna Richardson (SO) - 43-9 [13.33m]w* (personal best & second straight All-Big 12 honor)
6. Kaitlin West (JR) - 42-0 [12.80m]* (personal best & first All-Big 12 outdoor honor)
7. Cion Hicks (FR) - 163-3 [49.76m]* (second All-Big 12 honor of the meet)
15. Taylor Torres (SR) - 129-2 [39.38m]
8. Desmine Hilliard (JR) - 176-10 [53.90m]* (second straight All-Big 12 honor)
t9. Kaylyn Schultz (SO) - 5-0.25 [1.66m]
-- Lauren Cook (JR) - NH
15. Chase Hood (FR) - 16-0.5 [4.89m]