June 30, 2014
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Baylor's contingent of athletes at the USATF Championships wrapped up competition on Sunday at Sacramento State's Hornet Stadium.
The quartet's four-day participation in the event was highlighted by the fifth-place finish of junior Rachel Johnson in the 3,000-meter steeplechase on Saturday. For her third straight race, the Plano, Texas, native established a new school record, posting a 9:41.56 to be the fastest collegiate at the event.
Johnson bettered her own school record mark from Thursday when she turned in a 9:42.82 to be eighth in the prelims of the event.
This is the fourth time this season Johnson has broken the school record. She placed third at the NCAA Championships earlier this month with another school-record performance of 9:44.47. Johnson's first school-record performance of the season came at the Stanford Invitational in April where she was second with a time of 9:49.31.
- On Saturday, Tiffani McReynolds just missed out on qualifying for the finals of the 100-meter hurdles. She posted the seventh-fastest time overall (12.81) in the semifinals, but was fifth in her heat. Only the top four in each heat qualified for the final. If McReynolds had been in the other heat, she would have advanced. Her time was the fifth-fastest in school history.
- On Sunday, Ashley Fields came up short in the first round of the 200-meter dash with an 11th-place showing in 23.49.
- On the men's side in the 200-meter dash, Everett Walker was disqualified from the race on Saturday.
TOP QUOTE #1
"It was quite a meet for Rachel as she ran another amazing race in the final. To take fifth-place in her first USA Championships is an outstanding accomplishment. The fact that she closed with another personal best and school record is just a bonus."- head coach Todd Harbour on Rachel Johnson
TOP QUOTE #2
"Tiffani ran her fastest race ever in to a negative head wind and would have qualified had she been in the other semi. Like Rachel, she had a great year and we are very glad she is returning for her senior season."- head coach Todd Harbour on Tiffani McReynolds
Four Baylor athletes will compete at the USATF Junior Championships on July 5-6 in Eugene, Ore. The athletes include Trayvon Bromell, TJ Holmes, Maggie Montoya and Annie Rhodes. That foursome will be trying to qualify for the USA national team, which will compete at the IAAF World Junior Championships at the end of the month.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
COMPLETE SATURDAY BAYLOR RESULTS
200 Meter - First Round
Men - First Round
-- Everett Walker (SR) - DQ
100 Hurdles - Semifinal
7. Tiffani McReynolds (JR) - 12.81 (fifth-fastest in school history)
3,000 Steeplechase - Final
5. Rachel Johnson (JR) - 9:41.56 (school record)
COMPLETE SUNDAY BAYLOR RESULTS
200 Meter - Prelim
11. Ashley Fields (JR) - 23.49
Follow the official Twitter account of the team: @BaylorTrack for an inside look with results, photos and stories.