July 6, 2014
EUGENE, Ore. - Baylor track and field freshman TJ Holmes won the 400-meter hurdle title at the USATF Junior Championships with a time of 50.02 on Sunday at Hayward Field.
The St. Petersburg, Fla., product moved into first as he cleared the final hurdle and then held on to take a .11 second victory over second-place finisher Kenneth Selmon. The victory gives Holmes a spot on the USA team that will compete at the IAAF World Junior Championships in Eugene from July 22-27.
Holmes had qualified for the finals by running a 51.31 in the preliminary round on Saturday.
Meanwhile, pole vaulter Annie Rhodes just missed qualifying for the national team as she took third in the competition with a top mark of 13-9.25 [4.20m].
- Baylor's four athletes at the USATF Junior Championships recorded two wins (Holmes and Trayvon Bromell, 100 meters) and two third-place finishes (Rhodes and Maggie Montoya, 3,000 meters).
- Holmes' time was his third best of the season and five-hundredths of a second faster than his time from three weeks ago at the NCAA Championships when he placed fourth.
- Rhodes' mark was her second-best of the season and therefore the second-best in school history as she now owns all 10 of the school's best outdoor vaults of all-time.
- Baylor has now had two USA junior champions in each of the last two seasons as Holmes and Bromell joined Olicia Williams (800 meters) and Brianna Richardson (triple jump), who won in 2013.
TOP QUOTE #1
"TJ ran a great race. Coach Capron had a good game plan and TJ Holmes followed it. He had to work, but it was a much cleaner race than he ran yesterday in the prelims."- head coach Todd Harbour on TJ Holmes
TOP QUOTE #2
"Annie looked great. She was disappointed, because when you get third you are happy you got on the awards stand, but you also want to make the national team."- Harbour on Annie Rhodes
Trayvon Bromell and TJ Holmes will represent the United States at the IAAF World Junior Championships, July 22-27, at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore.
COMPLETE SUNDAY BAYLOR RESULTS
400 Hurdles - Final
1. TJ Holmes (FR) - 50.02
Pole Vault - Final
3. Annie Rhodes (FR) - 13-9.25 [4.20m] (second best in school history)
Follow the official Twitter account of the team: @BaylorTrack for an inside look with results, photos and stories.