May 2, 2013
Multi Events: Noon
Running Events: 8 p.m.
Field Events: 2 p.m.
Multi Events: 10 a.m.
Running Events: 3 p.m.
Field Events: 3 p.m.
Running Events: 11 a.m.
Field Events: 3:45 p.m.
For all the latest updates from the conference championships follow Baylor Track and Field on Twitter @BaylorTrack.
WACO, Texas - For the fourth time ever and the first time since 2006, Baylor will host the Big 12 Outdoor Track and Field Championships Friday through Sunday at the Hart-Patterson Track and Field Complex.
- Baylor returns a total of 14 All-Big 12 performers, who have totaled 33 All-Big 12 honors during their careers. The group includes three-times honorees Christina Holland (400 hurdles) and Skylar White (discus and shot put).
- Baylor is currently ranked No. 21 in the NCAA on the women's side and No. 36 on the men's side. The BU women are one of six Big 12 teams in the top 25, while the BU men are one of the league's seven in the top 40.
- Baylor has a total of 10 individual marks ranked among the nation's top 20 heading into the weekend. Of those marks, six are ranked in the top 10 among NCAA competitors.
- In the Big 12, BU has 23 marks in the top five, including 12 on the men's side and 11 for the women. The Bears are led by their 4x400-meter relay team which has the league's best time of 3:03.90, while the Lady Bears' relay squad is ranked No. 2.
- As a team, Baylor has combined to win a total of 48 individual events during the outdoor season. The BU women have claimed 26 with 11 coming from Erin Atkinson and White in the throws, while the men have won 22.
- Atkinson has broken her own school record in the hammer throw four times this season. She has five wins in the event with the current school record coming at the Texas Invitational on April 13. That mark is ninth best in the NCAA this year.
- After rewriting BU's indoor record books earlier this year, freshman Felix Obi has now broken the school's outdoor triple jump mark twice. His current season-best jump of 52-9.25 was set at the Texas Relays and is ranked sixth in the NCAA.
- Baylor will be without the services of four-time Big 12 indoor and outdoor hurdle champion Tiffani McReynolds, who has not competed this outdoor season due to injury. All-American Everett Walker will also be sidelined due to a leg injury he suffered earlier this season at the Florida Relays.
- Last season, Baylor finished sixth on the men's side with 65 points, while the BU women were fourth, totaling 72 points. The men had 11 competitors take home 19 All-Big 12 honors, while the women had 13 athletes earn 20 honors.
Quotes Head Coach Todd Harbour
On hosting the event:
"We're ready for it. It looks like the weather's going to be great, and we're looking forward to a really outstanding weekend. You get a chance to see not only the top athletes in the nation, but some of the top athletes in the world. There will be Olympians here, and it will be a great weekend."
On how he sees his teams finishing:
"We finished fourth on both sides, indoors, and felt like we really had a good indoor meet. We just want to get everything that we can, squeeze every single point out and have our athletes step up and just perform above and beyond what we expect them to do. And that's what you expect at home. You bring your very best and then some. If we do that, hopefully we'll be able to look up at the scoreboard when it's over and be satisfied. "
All-session tickets to the 2013 Big 12 Track & Field Championships are $20 apiece and are on sale now at baylorbears.com/tickets. Single-day passes are available at the gate for $10 for adults and $5 for children.
FSN will have tape delay coverage of Saturday and Sunday's action. Visit BaylorBears.com for coverage of the event including heat sheets, live results and full recaps at the end of each day.