June 8, 2004
Complete Release in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader
2004 NCAA OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Wednesday-Saturday, June 9-12
University of Texas - Mike A. Myers Stadium
The Baylor track & field team will not have to travel far as it heads to Austin for the 2004 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships Wednesday through Saturday at Texas' Mike A. Myers Stadium.
Both the men and women are coming off sixth-place finishes at the NCAA Midwest Regional in College Station, Texas May 28-29.
Last year the men finished tied for 52nd and the women tied for 29th at the NCAA Championships. The men's highest finish is third twice (1985, 2001), while the women's highest finish is 10th twice (1998, 1999).
Who to Watch
* Sophomore Jeremy Wariner has the nation's top time in the 400 meters at 44.50 and was named the Midwest Region Track Athlete of the Year.
* Junior Darold Williamson has the nation's second-fastest time in the 400 meters at 44.51 and was named the Big 12 Outdoor Performer of the Year.
* The men's 4x400-meter relay has the nation's top time at 3:01.06 and has finished in the top five at the outdoor meet 21 of the last 23 years, with two disqualifications breaking up the streak.
* Junior April Holliness enters the meet with the nation's top mark in the long jump at 6.66 meters (21-7 ?).
* Senior Jordan Willmann ranks 12th in the country in the heptathlon and finished fifth at last year's championships.
The 2004 NCAA Midwest Regional can be followed live on BaylorBears.com. Any media needing results faxed or e-mailed should call Texas media contact Todd Trulli at (512) 471-9640 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact Baylor track contract Russ Reneau at (254) 749-1659 or e-mail at email@example.com for any additional information or interview requests.