COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Baylor cross country had two top-five performances at the NCAA South Central Regional Championships Saturday morning at Dale Watts Cross Country Course in College Station, Texas.
On the women’s side, the team was one spot out of an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships with a third-place finish with 116 points behind Arkansas and Texas.
Among the top four runners that did not advance as part of a team, sophomore Anna West and junior Lindsey Bradley finished third and fourth in the women’s 6,000-meter race and earned a berth to the NCAA Championships in Louisville, Ky., next week. Also earning All-Region distinctions, West posted a time of 19.40.0 while Bradley finished right behind her at 19:42.3.
The other three scoring runners consisted of All-Region performer Gabby Satterlee (20th – 20:33.7), Brooke Gilmore (30th – 20:50.2) and Sarah Antrich (60th – 21:34.6). Madelaine Johnston (81st – 21:56.6) and Alison Andrews-Paul (100th – 22:18.0) also ran for the Bears.
On the men’s side, Devin Meyrer recorded his second-straight All-Region performance as he finished ninth with a time of 30:13. He was one spot short of qualifying individually for the NCAA Championships, finishing as the fifth individual runner from a non-advancing team.
Matt Parham had his best scoring performance this season, finishing 39th with a time of 31:21.6. The other three scoring performers included Eric Anderson (53rd - 31:44.8), Jordan West (67th – 32:00.6) and Sam Sahli (89th – 32:19.6). TJ Sugg (91st – 32:21.6) and Jeremy Meadows (100th – 32:32.6) also competed for the Bears.
• Baylor has multiple individuals advancing to the NCAA Championships for the first time since 2010.
• Anna West and Lindsey Bradley each posted top-five finishes to individually advance, finishing in third and fourth, respectively.
• The women’s squad was one spot shy of qualifying as a team for the NCAA Championships, finishing in third with 116 points.
• The women’s team had three All-Region performers: Anna West, Lindsey Bradley and Gabby Satterlee.
• Anna West, Lindsey Bradley, Gabby Satterlee and Brooke Gilmore end the team season as scoring runners in every race they competed in.
• Devin Meyrer earned his second-straight All-Region honor and is the first Bear since Bo Price (2003-06) to post multiple All-Region performances.
• Devin Meyrer, Eric Anderson and Jordan West all finish the season as scoring runners in every race they competed in.
• The men’s squad finished ninth with 289 points.
• A Baylor individual or team has competed at the NCAA Championships every year since 2013.
STAT OF THE MEET
2 – the amount of Baylor cross country runners who individually qualified for the NCAA Championship meet.
TOP QUOTE #1
“I am very proud of the girls. They ran great. Everyone had their personal best today. We had our fastest average for a 6K this season, but team wise it wasn’t quite good enough for us. Texas was very strong. I’m very proud of Gabby who earned her first all-region performance today. Sarah and Brooke ran great races as freshmen. Lindsey and Anna executed perfectly. The Arkansas girls were able to bring it back at the end, but Lindsey made a solid move in the middle of it. They did a great job. We’re headed back to the NCAA’s. We don’t have a senior on the squad, so it’s encouraging. We will try to make it back to the NCAA’s with this same squad next year.” -head coach Todd Harbour on the women’s team
TOP QUOTE #2
“It wasn’t our best day. I was hoping to be a little higher at the end of it. Devin ran incredibly. It would have been nice to get him an at-large individual. I’m not sure that’s going to happen, but we will see. He gave it everything he had. I’m happy with his performance. Matt Parham ran really well.” –assistant head coach Jon Capron on the men’s team