Tyler Bremer is expected to start game one against Louisiana-Monroe.
|Louisiana-Monroe (16-15) at No. 8 Baylor (25-7)
April 10-11, 2012 | Waco, Texas | Baylor Ballpark (5,000)
|TUES. | 6:35 P.M.
All Tickets $3
BU - RHP Tyler Bremer, Sr.
2-0, 0.66 ERA, 13.2 IP, 12 K
ULM - RHP Alex Hermeling, Fr.
1-1, 11.12 ERA, 11.1 IP, 4 K
|WED. | 4:05 P.M.
Dogtopia Bark in the Park & $1 Hot Dogs
BU - RHP Austin Stone, Fr.
1-0, 3.00 ERA, 9.0 IP, 6 K
ULM - TBA
Baylor baseball puts its 14-game winning streak on the line when it takes on Louisiana-Monroe for a pair of midweek games at Baylor Ballpark on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday's game is slated for 6:35 p.m. and Wednesday's game is scheduled for 4:05 p.m.
Baylor's current 14-game winning streak is the nation's longest active streak and tied for the sixth-longest winning streak by any Division I team this season. Baylor has also won 11 consecutive games at Baylor Ballpark, which is the nation's fourth-longest home winning streak. The Bears sit atop the Big 12 standings with a perfect 12-0 record after sweeping four straight series to start conference play. Baylor's 12-game Big 12 winning streak is the fourth-longest by any team in the conference's 16-year history.
All Baylor baseball games are broadcast live on Waco's 1660 ESPN Radio. Live streaming audio and GameTracker are available for all Baylor baseball games online at www.BaylorBears.com, the official website of Baylor Athletics and a member of the CBS College Sports Network.
All tickets to Tuesday's game are $3, including any available reserved seats. Wednesday's game is $1 hot dog night and the second of two Dogtopia Bark in the Park nights at Baylor Ballpark this season. For more information, visit www.baylorbears.com/barkinthepark.
Overall: Baylor leads 5-3
Waco: Baylor leads 2-1
Monroe: Baylor leads 3-2
Neutral Site: Never Met
Steve Smith vs. ULM: 3-2
Noteworthy: Three of Baylor's five wins in the series have been shutouts
BAYLOR: Steve Smith
Alma Mater: Baylor, 1986
Career Record: 644-422-1 (18th season)
Record at Baylor: 644-422-1 (18th season)
LOUISIANA-MONROE: Jeff Schexnaider
Career Record: 152-162 (6th season)
Record at ULM: 152-162 (6th season)
BAYLOR-IMG COLLEGE SPORTS NETWORK
Online at www.BaylorBears.com
1660 ESPN Radio in Waco
Tom Barfield (pxp) and Lark Smith (color)
BAYLOR VS. LOUISIANA-MONROE SERIES HISTORY
Baylor is 5-3 in the all-time series against Louisiana-Monroe, including a 2-1 mark in games played in Waco. Three of Baylor's five wins in the series have been shutouts. The teams haven't played since a two-game set in Monroe on Feb. 9-10, 1999. ULM won the first game 15-4, but the Bears rebounded to win the second game 2-0.
The teams first met on April 14, 1960, a game Baylor won 2-0. Baylor and ULM met again for a pair of games as part of a three-team tournament in Monroe on April 19-20, 1962. The Warhawks won the first game against the Bears 9-5, but Baylor won the second game 6-0. Baylor took two of three in a 1998 series against ULM at Baylor Ballpark.
SMITH CLOSING IN ON ALL-TIME WINS RECORD
Baylor head coach Steve Smith is closing in on the record for most wins in any sport in Baylor Athletics history. With a career record of 644-422-1, Smith needs six more wins to pass his predecessor, the late Mickey Sullivan (649-428-4) for the Baylor coaching wins record. Sullivan recorded his 649 wins in 1,081 games, while Smith sits on 644 wins through 1,067 games.
RECORD-SETTING START TO BIG 12 PLAY
Baylor's 12-0 start to Big 12 play is the best by any team in the league's 16-year history. Texas held the previous record with a 7-0 start in 1999. The Bears have swept four consecutive Big 12 series for the first time in program history (Baylor had never swept three straight Big 12 series prior to this season). The Bears' 12-game Big 12 winning streak this season is the fourth-longest by any team in Big 12 Conference history:
- 17 games -- Texas 2000
- 16 games -- Texas A&M 2008
- 14 games -- Nebraska 2000
- 12 games -- Baylor, 2012
- 10 games -- Oklahoma 2006
- 9 games -- Oklahoma State 2004; Oklahoma 2004; Missouri 2003; Texas 2000; Baylor 1999; Texas A&M 1997
Baylor senior RHP Trent Blank leads the nation with eight wins (8-0) and has won 10 straight decisions dating back to his last two decisions in 2011.
Blank's success can be attributed to a drop in his arm slot, which was done during a bullpen session at the recommendation of pitching coach Trevor Mote. Blank's first outing with the lower arm slot was May 10, 2011 at TCU, when he went 3.1 scoreless innings.
With the lower arm slot, Blank has combined to go 10-0 with a 2.36 ERA over 68.2 innings pitched. If one bad outing in the 2011 Houston Regional against California is removed from the record, he's gone 10-0 with a 1.72 ERA over 68.0 innings of work. Prior to changing his arm slot, Blank had gone 6-4 with a 6.15 ERA over 98.0 innings in his first two-and-a-half seasons at Baylor. Here's a before and after comparison of his numbers:
Feb. 9, 2009 -
April 30, 2011
May 10, 2011 -
PILING UP BIG 12 PLAYER OF THE WEEK HONORS ...
Baylor shortstop Jake Miller was named Big 12 Conference co-Player of the Week on April 2, giving Baylor four Player of the Week honors this season. Max Muncy earned the award on March 26 and Logan Vick was honored on Feb. 27 and March 19.
With four Player of the Week awards this season, Baylor is one shy of tying Texas Tech (2004) for the most in a single-season in conference history. Eight teams have earned four Player of the Week honors in one season, and Baylor is responsible for three of those (2004, 2011, 2012).
Miller had nine hits during the week, including a three-hit game in a win at Houston and a three-hit game in the series opener against Oklahoma State. Miller had two hits in the second game of the OSU series and had a 12th-inning single in the series finale as the Bears rallied to complete the sweep.
... AND BIG 12 PITCHER AND NEWCOMER WEEKLY AWARDS
Baylor has also had two players earn Big 12 Pitcher of the Week honors and one player earn the Big 12 Newcomer of the Week award. Josh Turley was honored as Pitcher of the Week on April 9, while Trent Blank earned the same award on Feb. 27. Freshman Adam Toth picked up the Bears' first-ever Big 12 Newcomer of the Week honor on April 9 -- the award was created in 2011.
Baylor's seven Big 12 weekly honors this season are the most in a single-season in program history. The six combined Pitcher and Player of the Week awards tie 2004 and 2005 for most Big 12 weekly honors in program history without the addition of the two-year-old Newcomer award.
BAYLOR'S 2012 BIG 12 PLAYER OF THE WEEK AWARDS
BAYLOR'S 2012 BIG 12 PLAYER OF THE WEEK AWARDS
BAYLOR'S 2012 BIG 12 NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK AWARDS
- Adam Toth, April 9
CONSISTENCY IS KEY
Six Baylor players have started every game in 2012, including four who have started at the same position in every game. Max Muncy (1B), Cal Towey (3B), Logan Vick (CF) and Jake Miller (SS) have started every game at the same position, while Lawton Langford (2B) has started 27 of the last 28 games, giving the Bears the same infield starters in 27 of 28 games since Feb. 21.
Nathan Orf (LF/DH) and Josh Ludy (C/DH) have also started every game. The consistency carries over to the batting order, as Orf (leadoff/2nd/3rd), Muncy (2nd/3rd), Ludy (cleanup/6th) and Vick (cleanup/5th) have hit in three or fewer spots in the lineup in every game.
• SERIES: Baylor leads the all-time series 3-2 with all five games played in Monroe, La. All three of Baylor's wins against ULM have been shutouts, and the Bears are 1-1 against ULM during the Steve Smith era.
• Baylor is ranked in all five college baseball polls this week. The Bears' highest ranking is in the Collegiate Baseball poll (No. 5), and they're ranked No. 8 in the Baseball America Top 25.
• Baylor's current 14-game winning streak is the nation's longest active streak. The streak ties the 2nd-longest in program history (14 in 1998 & 1999), and is 6 wins shy of the school record of 20 games in 1985.
• Baylor's 12-game Big 12 winning streak is the 4th-longest by any team in the league's 16-year history.
• Baylor's 14-game winning streak ties the 6th-longest nationally this season.
• Baylor has outscored opponents 107-45, hit .318 as a team and posted a 2.39 ERA during the 14-game streak.
• Baylor's bullpen is 6-0 with a 2.37 ERA in 49.1 innings during the 14-game winning streak.
• Baylor has won 11 consecutive home games, which ranks 4th nationally among active home winning streaks.
• Baylor's 12-0 start in Big 12 play is the best by any team in the conference's 16-year history -- five games better than the previous longest winning streak to start a Big 12 season (Texas started 7-0 in 1999).
• Baylor has made 30 errors in 32 games played and it ranks 4th in the Big 12 with a .975 fielding percentage.
• Head coach Steve Smith is now 644-422-1 in 18 seasons leading the Baylor program. He needs six more wins to pass predecessor Mickey Sullivan (649-428-4) for the most wins by any coach in Baylor Athletics history.
• Baylor has homered in 7 of the last 9 games after snapping a 15-game, 499-at-bat homerless drought.
• Six Baylor starters have on-base percentages of .409 or higher, eight Baylor regulars have batting averages at .290 or higher, and five different Bears have at least 6 stolen bases.
• Six Baylor players have started every game this season, including four who have started at the same position.
• Baylor has swept four straight Big 12 series for the first time in program history. The Bears had never swept three straight Big 12 series prior to this season.
• Baylor is 14-2 in its last 16 Big 12 series finales when playing for a series sweep. The Bears have swept 4 Big 12 series in a season for the first time since the 2005 Big 12 Championship season (19-8).
• Baylor is 16-0 this season in games started by Josh Turley (8-0) or Trent Blank (8-0).
• Baylor has swept five series this season (Oral Roberts, Texas Tech, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Missouri) after sweeping one series in 2011 (Louisiana Tech). The last time Baylor swept five series in a season was in 2005.
• Baylor is 18-3 at home in 2012, and BU is 56-21 in its last 77 home games (28-9 in non-conference games).
• Baylor is 5-3 this season when scoring three or fewer runs. The Bears were 3-22 in such games last season.
• Baylor has won four Big 12 Player of the Week honors this season (Jake Miller, Max Muncy, Logan Vick [twice]).
• Senior RHP Trent Blank leads the nation with 8 wins and has won 10 straight decisions dating back to 2011.
• Blank and junior LHP Josh Turley have each won Big 12 Pitcher of the Week awards this season.
• Freshman RF Adam Toth was named Baylor's first-ever Big 12 Newcomer of the Week on Monday.
• Junior C/OF Nathan Orf ranks 6th nationally after being hit by a pitch 17 times this season.
• Muncy has started 114 consecutive games at 1B for Baylor. He has missed one start in 151 team games since joining the Baylor program before the 2010 season.
• Baylor is currently 22nd nationally in total home attendance (54,697) and 24th in average (2,734).
Baylor heads back out on the road for a three-game series at Kansas State, and all three games will be televised. Friday's 6:30 p.m. game and Sunday's 1 p.m. game will be shown on Fox College Sports (FCS), and Saturday's 1 p.m. game will air on Fox Sports Kansas City.