|Baylor (19-11) at UT Arlington (15-17)
Tue., April 13, 2010 | 6:30 p.m. CST
Arlington, Texas | Clay Gould Ballpark (1,600)
|Baylor (19-11) vs. UT Arlington (15-17)
Wed., April 14, 2010 | 6:30 p.m. CST
Waco, Texas | Baylor Ballpark (5,000)
$1 Hot Dog Wednesday
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS (2010 STATISTICS)
BU: RHP Ross Speed, So. (0-0, 6.75 ERA, 5.1 IP, 4 BB, 6 K)
UTA: RHP Brody Walker, Fr. (0-1, 5.79 ERA, 14.0 IP, 7 BB, 8 K)
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS (2010 STATISTICS)
BU: LHP Josh Turley, Fr. (3-0, 3.90 ERA, 30.0 IP, 9 BB, 20 K)
| Listen | Gametracker
|| Listen | Gametracker
Complete Release in PDF Format
Baylor looks to extend its 10-game winning streak in non-conference games when the Bears take on UT Arlington for a pair of midweek games. The Bears and Mavericks meet in Arlington on Tuesday, and then the teams heads South on I-35 for a rematch at Baylor Ballpark on Wednesday. Both games are scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
Baylor is coming off a 4-1 week that saw the Bears pick up midweek wins over a pair of teams from the Southland Conference before taking two of three from rival Texas A&M over the weekend. With the two wins over the Aggies, the Bears have won 12 of their last 15 games at Baylor Ballpark.
UTA saw its record dip below .500 with a 1-3 record last week. The Mavericks dropped a midweek game to Oral Roberts, and though they won the series opener at Southeastern Louisiana, they were unable to pick up as series win as the Lions rebounded to take the final two games.
All Baylor baseball games are broadcast live on Waco's 1660 ESPN Radio. Live streaming audio and GameTracker also are available for all Baylor baseball games online at www.BaylorBears.com, the official website of Baylor Athletics and a member of the CBS College Sports Network.
UT ARLINGTON MAVERICKS
Overall: Baylor leads 74-29
Waco: Baylor leads 45-12
San Marcos: Baylor leads 29-17
Smith vs. UTA: 28-9
First Meeting: 2/26/1973
Last Meeting: 4/15/2009
BAYLOR: Steve Smith
Alma Mater: Baylor, 1986
Career Record: 571-374-1 (16th season)
Record at Baylor: 571-374-1 (16th season)
UT ARLINGTON: Darin Thomas
Alma Mater: Oklahoma Christian, 1989
Career Record: 71-74 (third season)
Record at UTA: 71-74 (third season)
BAYLOR-ISP SPORTS NETWORK
1660 ESPN RADIO (Waco)
Tom Barfield (pxp) and Lark Smith (color)
BAYLOR-UT ARLINGTON SERIES HISTORY
Baylor and UT Arlington have met 103 times, and the Bears hold a 74-29 lead in the all-time series. The teams first met on Feb. 26, 1973 as the Bears won 3-2 and 2-0 in a doubleheader in Waco. Baylor is 45-12 against the Mavericks in games played in Waco, and the Bears hold a 29-17 advantage in games played in Arlington. The teams met on almost the exact same days a year ago, as UTA won 5-4 in Arlington on April 14 and the Bears got revenge with a 10-7 win in Waco the following day.
BAYLOR VS. THE SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE CONFERENCE
Baylor has a 302-130-1 all-time record against teams currently in the Southland Conference. Among those is Lamar (43-28-1), McNeese State (8-7), Nicholls State (7-2), Northwestern State (11-7), Sam Houston State (56-38), Stephen F. Austin (27-0), Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (5-0), Texas State (44-16), UT Arlington (74-29) and UTSA (27-3).
LAST TIME VS. UT ARLINGTON
BAYLOR 10, UT ARLINGTON 7 • APRIL 15, 2009 • BAYLOR BALLPARK • WACO, TEXAS
Dustin Dickerson homered twice and set a career high with five RBI as No. 7 Baylor defeated UT Arlington 10-7 in Wednesday night's action at Baylor Ballpark. Baylor (24-11) improved to 18-6 at home this season, while UT Arlington (19-17) dropped to 5-11 on the road.
Dickerson's two-run shot over the 20-foot batter's eye in center broke a scoreless tie in the bottom of the first. The homer came off UTA starter, southpaw Mark Picca, and was Dickerson's first career home run against a lefty. It also was Dickerson's first multiple-run homer of the season; all of his first six round-trippers were solo shots.
The home run also extended Dickerson's career-long hitting streak to 21 games, the longest in the Big 12 this season. Dickerson's streak ties for the fourth-longest in Baylor history; it is the Bears' longest since David Murphy's 21-game streak in 2003.
The Bears added five runs on six hits in the second inning. Joey Hainsfurther had a two-run single, and Dickerson capped the inning with a three-run, opposite-field homer down the line in left. It was Dickerson's third home run in as many at bats after homering in his final at bat Tuesday night at UTA. Dickerson has homered in three consecutive games.
Baylor's seven-run lead nearly was not enough. The Mavericks got three runs on four hits in the top of the third. Justin McPherson led off with a home run; later in the inning, Matt Otteman plated a run with a bases-loaded sacrifice fly, and Andrew Kainer followed with a two-out RBI single.
The Bears got a run back in the fourth when Dickerson doubled down the line in right with one out and scored on Aaron Miller's two-out RBI double to right-center. UTA scored a run in the sixth and two in the seventh, and Kainer's RBI groundout in the top of the eighth pulled the Mavericks to within one run at 8-7. Willie Kempf struck out the next batter to end the inning, stranding a runner at third.
Raynor Campbell gave the Bears some insurance in the bottom of the eighth, blasting a two-out, two-run homer to left-center. Logan Verrett retired the side in order with two strikeouts in the ninth for his second save of the season.
Dickerson finished the night 3-for-5, one of six Bears with multiple-hit outings. Campbell, Miller, Shaver Hansen, Dan Evatt and Brooks Kimmey all had two-hit nights. Dickerson and Campbell each scored three times.
Reed Woytek (1-0) earned his first decision in 34 career decisions; he allowed one run on two hits and a walk with two strikeouts over 2.1 relief innings. Starter Trent Blank surrendered three runs on six hits and two walks with three strikeouts over 3.0 innings.
Picca (0-1) took the loss for UT Arlington; he yielded seven runs on eight hits and a walk with one strikeout over 2.0 innings. Otteman paced UTA at the plate, going 3-for-4, while Kainer and McPherson both were 2-for-5 with two RBI.
• The Baylor bullpen has combined to post an 12-2 record with 12 saves and a 3.02 ERA over 122.1 innings.
• Opponents are hitting .261 against BU relievers, and eight Bears have posted ERAs of 3.00 or better in relief roles.
• The Bears have won 39 consecutive games when leading after eight innings since squandering a six-run, ninth-inning lead against Texas A&M in the 2008 series finale (April 20).
• Baylor enters the week ranked third in the league in hitting (.322 batting average) and fourth in pitching (3.94 ERA). Oklahoma is the only other team ranked in the top four of both categories.
• The Bears are second in the Big 12 in both batting (.305) and pitching (4.45) in conference play.
• Only two Baylor players have started all 30 games this season - freshmen Max Muncy and Logan Vick.
• Through 30 games, this season's BU squad is hitting 15 points higher and has an ERA that is 1.01 lower than the 2009 team had through the first 30 games, but the 2009 squad was two wins better at 21-9.
• Baylor has won two consecutive Big 12 Conference series for the first time since April of last season.
• The Bears are on a 10-game winning streak in non-conference games.
• Baylor is 13-2 in its last 15 games at Baylor Ballpark.
• This season's Baylor squad is 15-0 when leading at any point after the sixth inning.
• Leadoff hitter Logan Vick leads the Bears in both on-base percentage (.507) and slugging percentage (.604).
• Brooks Pinckard has stolen 19 consecutive bases and converted eight consecutive save opportunities.
• Joey Hainsfurther has multi-hit games in each of the Bears' last six contests.
• Hainsfurther ranks third in the Big 12 conference with a .417 batting average.
• Tyler Collins has started 12 consecutive games in right field after starting in just one of the Bears' first 18 games.
• Vick leads the Big 12 in walks drawn (34). He enters the week with 10 more walks than any other player in the conference. Vick has drawn at least one walk in nine of the last 10 games and has 16 walks during that stretch.
• Logan Verrett was named Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week after his dominating performance in a win over Texas A&M on Saturday. Verrett's 13 strikeouts were the most ever by a Baylor pitcher at Baylor Ballpark, and he turned in the Bears' first 9.0-inning complete game this season.
• Pinckard is tied for second in the Big 12 in saves (8). He is tied with Nick Cassavechia and Zane Carlson for the Baylor sophomore saves record, and he has converted on all eight save opportunities this season.
Baylor looks to win its third consecutive Big 12 Conference series when the Bears travel to Manhattan, Kan. to take on a Kansas State team that enters the weekend in second place in the league. The Wildcats have a 6-3 record in Big 12 play. They swept Oklahoma State and dropped two of three at Texas Tech, but rebounded to win two of three against Nebraska last weekend. Kansas State is 13-2 on its home field this season, including a four-game sweep of Kent State and a midweek win over Wichita State.
BAYLOR-KANSAS STATE SERIES HISTORY
Baylor and Kansas State have met 44 times, and the Bears hold a 31-13 advantage in the all-time series. However, the Wildcats have played much better on their home field, as the Bears lead just 10-8 in games played in Manhattan. Baylor is 21-2 against the Wildcats in Waco, but Kansas State has won all three neutral site meetings. Baylor is 30-12 against Kansas State in the Steve Smith era.