KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Cory Jefferson had 20 points and 13 rebounds, Isaiah Austin dominated in the paint and seventh-seeded Baylor rolled to an 86-69 victory over Texas on Friday night and into the Big 12 tournament title game for the third time in school history.
Now, the trick is to finally win it. The Bears face No. 16 Iowa State on Saturday night.
Brady Heslip hit six 3-pointers and had 24 points for Baylor (24-10), which has already won three games in three days, and has now won 10 of its last 11 to climb from a precarious position on the NCAA tournament bubble to a firm - and rapidly improving - spot in the field.
Austin had 10 points and seven blocks for Baylor, giving him 17 swats for the tournament. That breaks the record of 11, held by Missouri's Arthur Johnson from the 2003 event.
The win over the third-seeded Longhorns (23-10) was also the 202nd for Baylor coach Scott Drew, moving him past Bill Henderson and into first place on the school's career list.
Isaiah Taylor led Texas with 16 points and seven assists. Jonathan Holmes was held to just six points on 3-for-12 shooting while dealing with foul trouble much of the night.
• Tonight's win is Baylor's 10th in its last 11 games (since Kenny Chery returned to starting lineup after turf toe injury).
• Head coach Scott Drew recorded his 202nd career win and becomes the all-time winningest coach in Baylor history.
• Isaiah Austin has 17 total blocks in 3 Big 12 Championship games, breaking the Big 12 record for total blocks in single Big 12 Championship (old record 11 by MU's Arthur Johnson in 2003, 4 games).
• Austin's 7 blocks tonight also set a new school record with 17 total blocks in Big 12 Championship play (broke old mark of 12 by Brian Skinner).
• Senior F Cory Jefferson recorded a 20-point, 13-rebound double-double, his third -straight & 14th of season & 25th of career (BU is 21-4 in such games).
• Senior G Brady Heslip hit six 3-pointers tonight and moved into 3rd on Baylor's single-season list at 108 (passed Aundre Branch's 104 in '94-95).
• Heslip scored a season-high-tying 24 points, his 21st double-figure scoring game of the season & 55th of career (BU is 42-13 in such games).
• Junior G Kenny Chery scored 10 points, his 18th double-figure scoring game of the season (BU is 14-5 in such games).
• Sophomore C Isaiah Austin scored 10 points, his 21st double-figure scoring game of the season & 48th of career (BU is 34-13 in such games).
• Junior F Royce O'Neale had 10 rebounds, his 5th double-figure total in the last 6 games (BU 5-0 in such games).
STAT OF THE GAME
Baylor outrebounded UT 45-42 and is now 20-5 on the season when totaling more rebounds that its opponent.
TWEET OF THE GAME
"They're playing their best basketball, may be the hottest team in the country." - Texas head coach Rick Barnes on Baylor
Baylor advances to the Big 12 Championship final for the third time in last 6 years and will face No. 4 seed Iowa State Saturday at 8 p.m.