March 17, 2012
#9/10  BAYLOR 80,  COLORADO 63
THE PIT/BOB KING COURT ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.
MARCH 17, 2012 ATTENDANCE: 12,128
Baylor advances to Friday's Sweet 16 matchup against the Xavier-Lehigh winner.
Baylor is now 8-8 all-time in seven tournament appearances and has won five of its last six NCAA championship games.
Baylor advances to the NCAA regional semifinals for the second time in three years (also in 2010) and fifth time in school history (1946, 1948, 1950, 2010).
- This is Baylor's second "Sweet 16" appearance in school history as first three regional semifinal appearances came in eight-team tournaments.
Baylor has now won multiple games in an NCAA Championship for the third time in school history:
- ...won two games in 1948 (eight-team) championship before losing in title game to Kentucky.
- ...won three games in run to 2010 Elite Eight before losing to eventual national champion Duke.
Baylor is now 5-2 under head coach Scott Drew in NCAA Championship play (2008, 2010, 2012).
Baylor is now 15-6 over the last four years in postseason tournaments (Big 12, NCAA/NIT).
With today's win, Baylor sets a new school record with 29 wins, surpassing the previous record set by the 2009-10 Elite Eight squad that finished 28-8.
SERIES: The all-time Baylor-Colorado series now stands 15-10 in CU's favor but BU has won two straight and five of the last seven. CU leads 4-2 in games played in neutral sites, including a previous NCAA win in 1946 West Regional third-place game.
Baylor is now 15-4 this season in games played away from home.
Tonight's win is the 99th victory for BU's winningest senior class in history (Quincy Acy, Fred Ellis and Anthony Jones).
Baylor's 11 made 3-pointers set a new school record for NCAA Championship play (previous mark of 8 achieved four times).
Baylor outrebounded Colorado 41-28, BU is now 22-3 this season when outrebounding its opponent.
Baylor is now 25-1 this season when leading or tied at the half.
Baylor extended its 3-pointer streak to 655 games (second-longest active streak in Big 12) - dating to Feb. 21, 1990.
Sophomore Brady Heslip finished with a career-high 27 points (his fifth straight game in double-digits) and a career-high 9 3-pointers...
- ...Heslip's 27 points ties Baylor's single-game record for scoring in NCAA Championship play (tying Curtis Jerrells vs. Purdue in 2008).
- ...in the 2012 postseason (3 Big 12 Championship & 2 NCAA Championship games), Heslip has averaged 17.0 points and hit 24-of-43 3-pointers.
- ...Heslip's nine 3-pointers sets a new Baylor single-game record in NCAA Championship play.
Junior Pierre Jackson finished with 15 points and has scored in double-figures in six straight games...
-Jackson's 10 assists tonight set a new Baylor's single-game NCAA Championship record (previously 8).
-Jackson's 5 steals tonight set a new Baylor's single-game NCAA Championship record (previously 4).
A.J. Walton had 1 steal tonight and moved into second place on Baylor's career list with 159.
Quincy Acy had 10 rebounds, his ninth double-figure boarding effort of the season, and moved into fifth on the school's career list with 805.
Quincy Acy finished with 2 field goals and moved into 10th on the school's career listing with 488.
Acy set a new school record by playing in his sixth career NCAA Championship game, and he increased his school record for games played to 138 contests.