March 21, 2009
Box Score |
Baylor 84 (22-14) – Virginia Tech 66 (19-15)
Cassell Coliseum – Blacksburg, Va.
NIT second round
Saturday, March 21, 2009
· With today’s win Baylor advances to the NIT quarterfinals for the first time in school history.
· Baylor wins its second postseason game of the season, marking only the second time in school history Baylor has notched more than one postseason victory (first 1947-48 when BU won 4 and finished as national runner-up).
· Today’s win was Baylor’s 22nd of the season, the highest win total since the 1987-88 Bears finished 23-11.
· Baylor is now 10-4 over the last 2 seasons in tournament play (7-2 this season).
· With today’s win, Baylor now leads the all-time series vs. Virginia Tech 2-1.
· Baylor is now 6-9 vs. current members of the ACC (1-1 this season).
· Today’s win marks Baylor’s first against an ACC school since 1974 (a 108-80 win over Georgia Tech in Norfolk, Va.).
· Baylor is now 18-2 this season when leading or tied at the half (41-21 today).
· Baylor is now 15-1 on the season when holding opponents to less than 70 points.
· Today’s 18-point margin of victory is Baylor’s highest since a 113-78 win (35 pts) over Jackson State Dec. 31.
· Baylor had 6 players finish in double-figure scoring, the first such feat since defeating Oklahoma State in overtime on Jan. 17.
· Baylor shot 61.7% from the field, its second straight game shooting over 60% (60.9% vs. Georgetown), its first back-to-back 60% or higher games since 2006-07 (vs. OSU & vs. MU).
· Baylor hit on 47.6% of 3s today (10-21), its highest percentage since shooting 59.1% in a Jan. 21 win at Kansas State and the second straight game shooting better than 47% (BU hit 47.1% in win over Georgetown).
· The 21 first-half points allowed were the second-fewest of the season (held Centenary to 20 on Nov. 18).
· Baylor’s 20 assists is the highest team total since the season-opening win over Paul Quinn (Nov. 15).
· Baylor’s 84 points was its highest scoring total since scoring 98 (88 in regulation) in an OT win over Oklahoma State on Jan. 17.
· Baylor teams have made at least one 3-point field goal in 548 straight games.
· Baylor has broken several team records in 2008-09, below are some prominent categories with updated figures:
Points: 2,752 (84 today)
3-Pointers Made: 292 (10 today)
Free Throws Made: 566 (16 today)
The Bears are among the Top 5 in the following team statistical categories:
Blocks: now tied for 2nd with 138 (3 today)
Rebounds: now 3rd with 1,236(33 today)
Steals: now 3rd with 260 (7 today)
· Josh Lomers had 12 points, his highest scoring output since a career-high 14 vs. Jackson State Dec. 31.
· Josh Lomers had a season-high 2 blocks and played a career-high 24 minutes today.
· Curtis Jerrells finished with 16 points, and is now on a 10-game double-digit scoring streak.
· THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS MOVED UP TODAY ON BAYLOR’S CAREER STAT LISTS:
Curtis Jerrells – with 5 ASSISTS today has 466 career, moves into 2nd all-time (passes Micheal Williams 464). with 3. FREE THROWS today has 388 career, moves into 4th all-time (passes Darrell Hardy 386).
Kevin Rogers – with 16 POINTS today has 1,330 career, moves into 8th-place tie all-time (ties former teammate Aaron Bruce 1,330). with 8 REBOUNDS today has 838 career, moves into 3rd all-time (passes Darrell Hardy 836). with a START today has 98 career, tied for 5th all-time with former teammate Aaron Bruce. Henry Dugat – with 27 MINUTES today has 3,150 career, moves to 4th all-time (passes Doug Brandt 3,125 and Nelson Haggerty 3,127).
· THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS MOVED UP TODAY ON BAYLOR’S SINGLE-SEASON STAT LISTS:
Kevin Rogers – With 33 MINUTES today has 1,172 on the season, moves to 4th on single-season list.
Curtis Jerrells – With 16 POINTS today has 580 on the season, moves to 9th on the single-season list. With 5 ASSISTS today has 171 on the season, moves to 4th on the single-season list.