GAME CENTER: GAME 24
Date: Sat., Feb. 12, 2011
Tip-Off: 3:05 p.m. CST
Location: Austin, Texas
Arena: Frank Erwin Center (16,734)
Television: ESPN/ESPN HD
Talent: Mark Jones (pxp), Fran Fraschilla (analyst)
Radio: Baylor IMG College Radio Network/ESPN Central Texas;
1660 AM (Waco); 106.9 FM (Killeen); 101.3 FM (Waco); 100.9 FM (Temple); Sirius 152 (Baylor feed)
Talent: John Morris (pxp), Pat Nunley (analyst)
Series (Overall): Texas leads 155-79
Series (Big 12 era): Texas 25-7
Series (in Austin): Texas leads 84-27
Current Series Streak: Baylor, 4 wins
Scott Drew Record vs. UT: 4-13
Live Stats: www.BaylorBears.com
Audio Web Stream: www.BaylorBears.com
Video Web Stream: www.ESPN3.com
In-Game Blog: None
• Baylor (16-7, 6-4) will put its four-game series win streak on the line against one of the nation’s best defenses Saturday against 3/3 Texas (21-3, 9-0) in Austin.
• Saturday marks the 235th series meeting — the most-played rivalry for both schools.
• After enduring a 24-game losing streak to the Longhorns, Baylor has won four straight over Texas, including an 80-77 OT win in Austin last season.
• Baylor is 31-27 in the Big 12 in the last three-plus seasons (Baylor was 27-85 from 2001-07).
• Baylor has made at least one 3-point field goal in 611 consecutive games.
• Baylor has won three straight games decided by fewer than five points.
• Baylor has won four straight games against Texas Big 12 schools ranked in the AP Top 25.
• G LaceDarius Dunn ranks second all-time in school history with 2,153 career points. Dunn needs 37 points to become Baylor’s all-time leading scorer (Terry Teagle; 2,189). Dunn needs 104 points to surpass Texas Tech’s Andre Emmett (2,256) as the Big 12’s career scoring leader.
• Dunn leads the Big 12 in scoring (20.7) and leads the nation in 3FG made per game (3.70).
• Dunn is the NCAA Division I active career leader with 373 3FG and ranks 17th on the NCAA career list.
• PG A.J. Walton leads the Big 12 in steals-per-game (2.18) and ranks second in assists-per-game (5.09).
• F Perry Jones III leads all Big 12 freshmen in scoring and FG percentage.
• Jones III is averaging 18.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in Big 12 play. Baylor is 8-1 in its last nine games vs. its three in-state Big 12 opponents and has won six straight.
• Dunn has made a 3FG in a school-record 37 consecutive games.
• Dunn has scored 20+ points against 10 Big 12 teams. The only Big 12 team that Dunn has failed to scored 20 points against is Missouri (Dunn scored 24 points Feb. 9 vs. Nebraska — his first 20-point game vs. Huskers).
• Junior F Quincy Acy ranks second in Baylor history with a 62.30 career FG percentage (314-of-504).
• Acy is tied for 6th in Baylor history (with Alex Holcombe) with 98 career blocked shots.
BAYLOR/TEXAS SERIES HISTORY
• Saturday will be the 235th series meeting between Baylor and Texas, the most-played rivalry for both schools.
• Baylor’s current four-game winning streak over Texas is its longest in the series since winning six straight from Feb. 7, 1981-Feb. 26, 1983.
• Texas leads the all-time series, 155-79, and 84-27 in Austin.
• Texas leads the Big 12-era series, 25-7.
• Head Coach Scott Drew is 4-13 all-time vs. Texas.
• Last season in Austin, Baylor ended its 11-game road losing streak to the Longhorns with an 80-77 overtime win over then-No. 6 Texas at Frank Erwin Center.
• Before its current four-game winning streak, Baylor lost 24 straight games to the Longhorns until a 76-70 victory in the semifinals of the 2009 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship.
A ROAD WIN IN THE BIG 12 IS HARD TO FIND
• Baylor is 12-50 in its last 62 Big 12 road games, but has won five of its last eight Big 12 road games.
• Under eighth-year head coach Scott Drew, Baylor has posted road wins against seven different Big 12 schools.
BAYLOR AGAINST THE AP TOP 25
• Baylor is 25-137 all-time against AP Top 25 teams, including an 8-43 record in the Scott Drew era.
• All eight wins in the Drew era have come in the last four-plus seasons.
• Baylor is 3-30 all-time against teams ranked in the AP top 5.
• Baylor is 10-70 against AP Top 25 teams in the Big 12 era.
• Baylor’s 76-74 OT win Feb. 5 at No. 16 Texas A&M was its first road win over a Top 25 team since an 80-77 OT win in 2010 at Texas.
• Baylor will step out of conference play for its final non-conference game of the season Tuesday against the Wayland Baptist Pioneers. Game time is set for 7 p.m. CST. Live video will be available at www.BaylorBears.com (pay-per-view).
• Texas (21-3, 9-0 Big 12), the Big 12’s lone remaining undefeated team in conference play, enters Saturday as the third-ranked team in the nation — the highest ranking for either Baylor or Texas in 235 series meetings. It will be only the fifth time in the series history that Texas is ranked in the AP top 5 (Baylor 1-3 vs. Texas in those contests).
• The Longhorns are led by one of the Big 12’s best all-around players, sophomore F Jordan Hamilton, who ranks third in the league in scoring (19.0) and fourth in rebounding (7.7). Like Baylor senior G LaceDarius Dunn, Hamilton is a prolific scorer as well as a high-percentage shooter from long range; Hamilton is a 41.8 percent 3-point shooter (64-of-153) this season.
• Hamilton is not Texas’ only offensive weapon. Tristan Thompson is averaging 12.6 points, 7.3 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 24 games as a freshman. Gary Johnson ranks third on the Longhorns squad in both scoring (11.7) and rebounding (6.5). G Cory Joseph is Texas’ fourth scoring threat averaging double figures with 11.0 points-per-contest.
• Since suffering an 82-81 OT setback at home Jan. 8 to UConn, Texas has won four straight games at Frank Erwin Center, pushing its home record to 13-1 this season.
• Entering the week, Texas ranked 3rd nationally in FG percentage defense and 6th in 3FG percentage defense.
• With Baylor’s 76-74 OT road win Feb. 5 at No. 16 Texas A&M, Baylor improved to 8-1 over the last two seasons against its three in-state Big 12 opponents — Texas (3-0), Texas A&M (2-1), Texas A&M (3-0).
• Since a road loss Feb. 6, 2010, at Texas A&M, Baylor has won six straight games against its three in-state Big 12 rivals.
• Prior to its recent in-state success, the Bears were a combined 9-27 against Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech in Scott Drew’s first six seasons at Baylor.
QUEST FOR 400
• LaceDarius Dunn, who is the active NCAA career leader in 3FG, is 17th on the NCAA career list with 373 3-point field goals. Dunn is four 3FG behind Cornell’s Ryan Wittman (377) for 15th on the career list.
• In a road loss Feb. 2 at Oklahoma, Dunn passed Valparaiso’s Bryce Drew — brother of Baylor head coach Scott Drew — on the NCAA career list.
• Dunn needs 27 3FG to become only the 11th player in NCAA Division I history with 400+ career 3FG.
PJ3’S BIG 12 TURNAROUND
• Since starting his career averaging 11.8 points and 7.5 rebounds in his first 13 games, freshman F Perry Jones III is averaging 18.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in 10 Big 12 contests.
• PJ3 has five 20-point games in Big 12 play. Jones III leads all Big 12 freshmen in both scoring (14.6) and FG percentage (57.3). He ranks 11th overall in scoring, ninth in rebounding (7.0) and fourth in FG percentage, while ranking fourth in Big 12-only FG percentage (63.5) and is fifth in Big 12-only scoring (18.1).
THREE’S THE MAGIC NUMBER
• Senior G LaceDarius Dunn is averaging a career-best 2.5 assists-per-game this season and has recorded 3+ assists in 28 career games. Baylor is 25-3 in those contests, including a perfect 12-0 mark at home.
ON A WINNING NOTE
• For the third consecutive season, new Baylor career records for overall and Big 12 wins have been established. With Baylor’s 76-74 OT win Feb. 5 at Texas A&M, senior G LaceDarius Dunn passed former teammate Tweety Carter as the school’s career Big 12 wins leader (30 Big 12 wins). Dunn has already surpassed Josh Lomers as the school’s career leader in overall wins earlier this season.
• In 2008-09, Curtis Jerrells, Kevin Rogers and Henry Dugat finished their careers as Baylor’s all-time leaders with 64 career wins. In 2009-10, Lomers passed his former teammates with 82 career victories, which stood as the school record until Dunn took over the career lead.
• Dunn enters the Texas game with 85 career wins and 31 career Big 12 victories.