|23/25 Baylor (1-0) vs. South Carolina (1-0)
Nov. 12, 2013 | 2 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
Radio: ESPN Central Texas
|Baylor Radio | Gametracker | Tickets | BU Notes | SC Notes|
• Baylor is ranked No. 23 in the AP poll, marking the seventh straight year the Bears have been ranked.
• Head coach Scott Drew is seeking his 200th career win in Tuesday's game (would be 180th at Baylor).
• Baylor is one of only two Big 12 schools to be ranked in each of the last seven seasons (Kansas).
• Tuesday will be the 5th all-time meeting between Baylor and South Carolina. The road team has won all four previous meetings, with BU winning in Columbia in 2007 and 2010, and SC winning in Waco in 2006 and 2009.
• Baylor is 9-1 in home openers under Drew -- the lone loss was vs. Oklahoma State in 2005-06, when BU didn't play a non-conference schedule as part of NCAA sanctions for infractions committed prior to Drew's arrival.
• Baylor's game against South Carolina is the first of 18 it will play on ESPN networks this season, which will increase its number of ESPN appearances to 104 in the last seven seasons.
• The Bears played a school-record 26 games on the ESPN family of networks in 2012-13.
• All 31 of Baylor's regular-season games will be televised this season, including 18 games on the ESPN family of networks. The South Carolina game will be Baylor's 67th consecutive televised contest.
• BU has five 20-win seasons in the last six years. BU had only three 20-win seasons prior to Drew's arrival.
• Baylor F Cory Jefferson and C Isaiah Austin were both named to the 6-player Preseason All-Big 12 team, marking the first time the Bears have had multiple players honored.
• Baylor's frontcourt is ranked No. 2 nationally by Lindy's and No. 6 by CBSSports.com.
• Baylor's four NBA Draft picks over the last two years ranks third nationally behind Kentucky and North Carolina.
• Baylor has the nation's best postseason winning percentage over the last five years (15-3; .833).
• Baylor has won 23 of 24 and 44 of its last 46 games when leading at the half over the last two seasons.
• Baylor was picked 3rd in the 2013-14 Big 12 Men's Basketball Preseason Coaches Poll.
• Baylor is one of only 10 schools nationally to play in the Elite Eight in two of the last four seasons.
• Since the start of the 2007-08 season, Baylor is 145-69 (24 wins per season) and has made five postseason appearances (2008 NCAA, 2009 NIT, 2010 NCAA, 2012 NCAA; 2013 NIT) with five 20-win seasons.
• Baylor has more Big 12 wins in the last six seasons (53-47) than its first 11 years in the league combined (45-131).
• Baylor is coming off a 2013 NIT title, which was the program's first-ever national tournament championship.
• Jefferson (USA) and Brady Heslip (Canada) played for their national teams in the 2013 World University Games.
• Baylor's last five recruiting classes have all been ranked in ESPN's top 25 nationally (2009 -- 21st; 2010 -- 22nd; 2011 -- 18th; 2012 -- 5th; 2013 -- 13th).
• Baylor has the Big 12's 2nd-longest active streak with at least one 3-point FG made in 695 consecutive games.
• Jefferson (70-23) is 8th on Baylor's career wins list and has the highest winning percentage (.753) in BU history.
• Baylor has signed nine top-50 national recruits in the last seven years -- LaceDarius Dunn (2007), Anthony Jones (2008), Nolan Dennis (2009), Perry Jones III (2010), Quincy Miller (2011), Deuce Bello (2011), Isaiah Austin (2012), Rico Gathers (2012) and Ish Wainright (2013).
• Head coach Scott Drew is coaching his 318th game at Baylor (179-138). His .565 winning percentage is best in BU history among coaches with four or more seasons, and his teams have a .678 winning percentage since 2007-08.
• Drew is tied with Kansas' Bill Self as the second-longest tenured head coach in the Big 12 Conference. Drew, who is in his 11th season at Baylor in 2013-14, is second only to Texas' Rick Barnes (16th season at UT).
• Tuesday's game will break a 2-2 tie in the all-time series. Baylor lost to South Carolina both times the teams met in Waco (2006 and 2009), but the Bears won both times the teams played in Columbia (2007 and 2010).
• Tuesday's will be Baylor's 67th consecutive televised game, including 41 on the ESPN family of networks.
DREW CLIMBING CAREER WINS CHART
• Scott Drew ranks second in Baylor history with 179 career wins as the Bears' head coach. Drew needs 22 wins to tie Bill Henderson (201) for the all-time wins record.
• Drew's .565 winning percentage is the best ever by a Baylor coach with four or more years at the helm.
• Baylor has enjoyed unprecedented success over the last six seasons under 11th-year head coach Scott Drew. Since the start of the 2007-08 season, Baylor is 145-69 (24 wins per season) and has made five postseason appearances (2008 NCAA, 2009 NIT, 2010 NCAA, 2012 NCAA, 2013 NIT) and posted five 20-win seasons.
• Prior to 2007-08, Baylor won only 135 games in the first 11 seasons of the Big 12 era (12.3 wins per season).
• Baylor has made 12 postseason appearances (five under Drew) and won 20+ games just eight times (five under Drew) in the program's first 107 seasons.
THIRD-LONGEST ACTIVE WINNING STREAK
• baylor's 6-game winning streak is tied for the nation's third-longest active streak.
• Baylor trails only Louisville (17) and Texas Southern (13), and the Bears are tied with East Carolina (6).
ONE OF NATION'S BEST FRONTCOURTS
• Headlined by fifth-year senior Cory Jefferson and sophomores Isaiah Austin, Rico Gathers and Taurean Prince, Baylor's frontcourt has been ranked as one of the nation's best entering the 2013-14 season.
• Lindy's ranked Baylor's frontcourt No. 2 nationally behind only Kentucky, and CBSSports.com ranked BU No. 6.
• Lindy's also picked Jefferson as the nation's No. 4 power forward and Austin as the nation's No. 4 center.
• Baylor's frontcourt combined for 25 double-doubles last season. Austin led the way with 11, while Jefferson had 10, Gathers added three and Prince had one. Those players combined for 12 double-doubles in Big 12 Conference play.
• For the second consecutive season, all 31 of Baylor's regular-season games will be televised in 2013-14.
• Baylor has 18 games on the ESPN family of networks, eight games on FOX Sports Southwest and five games on the Big 12 Network. Baylor set a program record with 37 televised games last season.
• With 18 games on ESPN networks this season, Baylor will have 104 ESPN games in the last seven seasons.
BU BLOCK PARTY
• Cory Jefferson and Isaiah Austin are both in the top 10 in program history in blocks per game.
• Austin is third with 1.67 blocks per game and Jefferson is seventh at 1.26.
• Jefferson's 117 blocks are seventh-most in BU history, while Austin need 25 blocks to crack the top 10.
• Baylor hosts Louisiana-Lafayette at 4 p.m. CT Sunday in an opening round game of the 2013 EA Sports Maui Invitational. The game will be televised on FOX Sports Southwest as part of Baylor Vision on FOX Sports.
• BU leads the all-time series 6-3, including a 3-0 mark in games played in Waco. The teams have met just twice since 1979, with BU winning in Waco in 1994 and in Lafayette in 1994.
• Sunday's will be Baylor's 68th consecutive televised game.