|18/17 Baylor (6-1) vs. Hardin-Simmons (0-3)
Dec. 1, 2013 | 2:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
TV: FOX Sports Southwest
Radio: ESPN Central Texas
| Baylor Radio | Gametracker | Tickets | BU Notes
||Sunday, Dec. 1 | 2:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas; Ferrell Center (10,284)
||Purchase Tickets Online
||FOX Sports Southwest
||John Morris (pxp), Pat Nunley (color)
||ESPN Central Texas | Listen Online
||Rick May (pxp), Nick Joos (color)
||Sirius 91 / XM 91
||18th (AP), 17th (Coaches)
||Career: 204-150 (12th season)
||BU Record: 184-139 (11th season)
||NR (AP), NR (Coaches)
||Career: 360-255 (23rd season)
||HSU Record: 70-65 (6th season)
• Baylor is 17-1 against in-state opponents since the start of the 2011-12 season.
• Baylor has won seven straight games at the Ferrell Center, tying the 10th-longest streak in arena history.
• Baylor is 3-0 this season in games decided by 5 points or less -- the Bears were 2-8 in those games last year.
• Baylor is ranked No. 18 in the AP poll, up seven spots from the Bears' preseason No. 25 ranking.
• Baylor and Oklahoma State are the nation's only schools with football, men's basketball and women's basketball ranked in the AP top 20 -- BU (No. 9 FB, No. 18 MBB, No. 9 WBB), OSU (No. 7 FB, No. 5 MBB, No. 19 WBB).
• Baylor is looking to start the season 7-1 through its first eight games for the sixth time in the last seven years.
• Baylor's bench is averaging 28.6 points per game, and the four most-used reserves combine to average 19.1 minutes per game. Royce O'Neale (27.4 mpg) ranks 3rd on the team in minutes, and nine Baylor players average 13+ mpg.
• Baylor has won seven straight games at the Ferrell Center, which ties the 10th-longest streak in arena history.
• Baylor is 62-12 at home since 2009-10, posting an .838 winning percentage.
• Sunday is the 30th all-time series meeting between Baylor and Hardin-Simmons. The Bears are 17-12 all-time vs. HSU, but they've won 10 straight in the series and haven't lost to the Cowboys since 1936-37.
• Baylor is 65-29 all-time vs. current NCAA Division III members.
• Baylor has won 26 of 27 and 47 of its last 49 games when leading at the half since 2011-12.
• Baylor's game vs. Hardin-Simmons will air on FOX Sports Southwest as part of BU's third-tier TV package.
• The Hardin-Simmons game will be Baylor's 73rd consecutive televised contest.
• Baylor is 30-5 in December games since 2007-08.
• Baylor had its 11-game winning streak snapped on Wednesday. It tied the 4th-longest in program history and was the nation's longest active streak when it was snapped.
• Baylor has the nation's best postseason winning percentage over the last five years (15-3; .833).
• Baylor's four NBA Draft picks over the last two years ranks 3rd nationally behind Kentucky and North Carolina.
• Baylor is one of only 10 schools nationally to play in the Elite Eight in two of the last four seasons.
• Head coach Scott Drew is seeking his 185th win at Baylor, which would place him 16 back of the school record.
• Cory Jefferson was named to the Maui Invitational All-Tournament team, which was his third all-tournament honor over the last two seasons. He was previously honored on 2012 Charleston Classic and 2013 NIT teams.
• Isaiah Austin leads the Big 12 with 3.7 blocks per game, and his 84 career blocks are one behind Kevin Rogers (2005-09) for 10th in program history. His 2.00 career blocks per game rank 3rd in BU history.
• BU has five 20-win seasons in the last six years. BU had only three 20-win seasons prior to Drew's arrival.
• Since the start of the 2007-08 season, Baylor is 150-70 (24 wins per season) and has made five postseason appearances (2008 NCAA, 2009 NIT, 2010 NCAA, 2012 NCAA; 2013 NIT) with five 20-win seasons.
• Baylor is one of only two Big 12 schools to be ranked in each of the last seven seasons (Kansas). The Bears have been ranked for at least three weeks in each of the last six seasons.
• Baylor has more Big 12 wins in the last six seasons (53-47) than its first 11 years in the league combined (45-131).
• Baylor was picked 3rd in the 2013-14 Big 12 Men's Basketball Preseason Coaches Poll.
• Baylor's frontcourt is ranked No. 2 nationally by Lindy's and No. 6 by CBSSports.com.
• Baylor is coming off a 2013 NIT title, which was the program's first-ever national tournament championship.
• Baylor has the Big 12's 2nd-longest active streak with at least one 3-point FG made in 701 consecutive games.
• Baylor F Cory Jefferson and C Isaiah Austin were both named to the 6-player Preseason All-Big 12 team, marking the first time the Bears have had multiple players honored.
• Jefferson (USA) and Heslip (Canada) played for their national teams in the 2013 World University Games.
• Jefferson (75-24) is 8th on Baylor's career wins list and has the highest winning percentage (.758) in BU history.
• Baylor has signed nine top-50 national recruits in the last seven years -- LaceDarius Dunn (2007), Anthony Jones (2008), Nolan Dennis (2009), Perry Jones III (2010), Quincy Miller (2011), Deuce Bello (2011), Isaiah Austin (2012), Rico Gathers (2012) and Ish Wainright (2013).
• Head coach Scott Drew is coaching his 324th game at Baylor (184-139). His .570 winning percentage is best in BU history among coaches with four or more seasons, and his teams have a .682 winning percentage since 2007-08.
• Drew is tied with Kansas' Bill Self as the second-longest tenured head coach in the Big 12 Conference. Drew, who is in his 11th season at Baylor in 2013-14, is second only to Texas' Rick Barnes (16th season at UT).
• Sunday is the 30th all-time meeting between Baylor and Hardin-Simmons, and the Bears lead 17-12 in the series.
• Baylor has won 10 straight games against HSU, and the Bears haven't lost to the Cowboys since 1936-37.
• Baylor is 65-29 all-time vs. current NCAA Division III member schools.
• The Bears won 107-38 when the teams met last season on Jan. 19. The 69-point win was the largest margin of victory in Baylor history. BU and HSU's last meeting before that game was Nov. 22, 2009, and the Bears won that game 106-45, recording the second-largest margin of victory in BU history at that time (now third).
A WIN WOULD ...
• Give Baylor an 8-game winning streak at the Ferrell Center, breaking a tie for 10th-longest in arena history.
• Mark the sixth time in the last seven years that Baylor has started 7-1 or better through its first eight games.
• Be Scott Drew's 185th career win as Baylor head coach -- 16 shy of Bill Henderson's school record.
• Improve Baylor's record to 43-14 in the month of December in the Drew era, including a 31-5 record since 2007-08.
• Be Baylor's 11th straight win against Hardin-Simmons, improving its record in the all-time series to 18-12.
DEPTH ON DISPLAY
• Baylor has used a nine-man rotation in each of its first five games, with all nine Bears averaging 13+ minutes.
• BU's bench is averaging 28.6 ppg, and the four most-used reserves combine to average 19.1 minutes per game.
• Royce O'Neale (27.4 mpg) ranks third on the team in minutes played despite coming off the bench, while Brady Heslip (21.6 mpg) is sixth on the team in minutes.
• Taurean Prince (13.9 mpg) and Rico Gathers (13.7 mpg) also average double-digit minutes as reserves.
HOME COURT ADVANTAGE
• Baylor is 62-12 at home since 2009-10, recording an .838 winning percentage. The Bears won a Ferrell Center-record 15 home games in 2009-10, 2010-11 and 2012-13, and BU won 14 games at the Ferrell Center in 2011-12.
• Baylor is 3-0 at home this season and has won seven consecutive games at the Ferrell Center, which ties the 10th-longest streak in arena history.
BEST IN TEXAS
• Baylor is 17-1 against in-state opponents since the start of the 2011-12 season.
• BU is a combined 31-5 against Lone Star State teams over the last four seasons after going 10-27 vs. in-state teams in Scott Drew's first six seasons at Baylor. (7-1 in 2012-13, 10-0 in 2011-12, 5-3 in 2010-11, 9-1 in 2009-10).
ONE OF FIVE RANKED IN FB, MBB AND WBB
• Baylor is one of just five schools ranked in the AP Top 25 in football, men's basketball and women's basketball, joining Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Duke and Louisville.
• The Bears are No. 9 in football, No. 18 in men's hoops and No. 9 in women's hoops.
• BU and Oklahoma State (7; 5; 19) are the nation's only schools with all three sports ranked in the top 20.
DREW CLIMBING CAREER WINS CHART
• Scott Drew ranks second in Baylor history with 184 career wins as the Bears' head coach. Drew needs 17 wins to tie Bill Henderson (201 wins; 1941-43 and 1945-61) for the all-time wins record.
• Drew's .570 winning percentage is the best ever by a Baylor coach with four or more years at the helm.
BU BLOCK PARTY
• Cory Jefferson and Isaiah Austin are both in the top 10 in program history in blocks per game.
• Austin is third with 2.00 blocks per game and Jefferson is fifth at 1.29.
• Jefferson's 128 blocks are fifth-most in BU history and five back of former BU teammate and current Milwaukee Bucks player Ekpe Udoh, while Austin need one block to crack the top 10.
• The Bears travel to Arlington for a game against Kentucky at AT&T Stadium (formerly Cowboys Stadium) on Friday at 9 p.m. CT. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN as part of the Big 12-SEC Challenge.