10/10 BAYLOR (1-0) 45, NR/NR SMU (0-1) 0
McLANE STADIUM • WACO, TEXAS
AUG. 31, 2014 • ATTENDANCE: 45,733
MISCELLANEOUS NOTES• Tonight's game was the first ever at the new McLane Stadium, which was built at a cost of $266 million. It was Baylor's first on-campus game since Nov. 9, 1935.
• Former U.S. President George W. Bush performed the coin toss prior to tonight's game.
• Baylor is 20-1 in Waco since 2011 and 24-3 at home since 2010.
• Baylor won its school-record 11th consecutive home game -- its last loss in Waco was Oct. 13, 2012, vs. TCU.
• Baylor's 24 points were the 6th-most it has ever scored in a 1st quarter -- 4 of the 5 higher scoring 1st quarters were last season.
• Baylor is now 74-35-4 all-time in season openers, including a 10-9 mark in the Big 12 era (since 1996).
• Baylor is now 6-1 in season openers under Briles.
• Baylor is now 5-2 in home openers under Briles, including 5 straight wins.
• Baylor is 16-2 in its last 18 games.
• Baylor is 27-2 over the last 4-plus seasons when leading at halftime.
• Baylor recorded its 5th straight home sell out, and the Bears have sold out all games at McLane Stadium this season.
• Baylor and SMU met for the 80th time. BU now leads the all-time series 37-36-7, including a 19-18-3 record in Waco. The Bears have now won 11 straight in the series and lead the all-time series for the first time since 1924.
• Baylor is the most successful FBS-team in Texas since 2011 with a win percentage of .750 (30-10).
• Baylor is the second team to ever shutout a June Jones coached team -- Houston did it to SMU on Nov. 29, 2013 (34-0).
• Antwan Goodley, Bryce Hager, Shawn Oakman and Bryce Petty served as captains vs. SMU.
• Baylor has scored 30+ points in 30 of its last 33 games and has scored 40+ points in 26 of those contests.
• Baylor's 8 sacks were one shy of tying a school record from a Sept. 17, 1983 game at UTEP.
• Baylor's last shutout was on Sept. 17, 2011, vs. Stephen F. Austin (48-0) and it's the 165th shutout in Baylor history.
• Baylor has gained 500+ yards in 10 of 14 games since 2013.
• Baylor has posted at least 400 yards offense in 40 of 41 games since 2011 -- that mark leads the nation.
• Phil Bennett's defense has forced 2 or more turnovers in 16 of its last 21 games (Baylor's record is 17-4 in that span).
• Baylor's defense has posted 3 or more turnovers in 7 games since 2013 and has won 20 straight games with 3+ takeaways.
• QB Bryce Petty has thrown for at least 2 TDs in each of his 14 starts, but his 13-game streak of 200+ passing yards was snapped (161 passing yards).
• Petty broke RG3's 2011 program record for most consecutive games with a passing TD with 14.
• Petty has at least 1 rushing TD in 11 of 14 games he's started.
• RB Shock Linwood scored the first touchdown in McLane Stadium history with a 4-yard rushing TD in the 1st quarter.
• PK Chris Callahan played in his first collegiate game and scored the first points at McLane Stadium with a 23-yard field goal in the 1st quarter.
• True freshman WR KD Cannon caught a 46-yard TD pass in the 1st quarter for his first career reception and finished with 2 catches for 59 yards.
• WR Levi Norwood has caught a pass in 28 consecutive games, but his streak of games with a TD reception was snapped at 6 straight.
• TE Tre'Von Armstead caught his first career pass with a 3-yard TD catch in the 1st quarter and finished with 2 catches for 21 yards.
• CB Xavien Howard had his 2nd career interception with a pick in the 2nd quarter.
• WR Antwan Goodley had his streak of 17 consecutive games with a reception snapped, partially because he departed the game in the 1st quarter due to injury.
• WR Jay Lee caught a 12-yard TD pass in the 3rd quarter for his 2nd career TD reception.
• Lee finished with career highs of 8 catches and 83 yards.
• True freshman WR Davion Hall led the team with 7 catches for 86 yards in his collegiate debut.
• QB Seth Russell set career highs of 13 completions, 23 pass attempts, 124 yards and threw 1 touchdown for the 5th time in his career.
• Russell set career highs of 7 carries for 55 yards.
• Redshirt freshman RB Johnny Jefferson had 12 carries for 57 yards and 1 catch for 16 yards in his first collegiate game.
• Junior transfer RB Silas Nacita rushed for 20 yards on 6 carries with 1 touchdown in his first game with Baylor.
• Redshirt freshman QB Chris Johnson saw his first collegiate action and connected for a 28-yard pass on his only attempt and rushed for 17 yards on his only attempt.
• DE Shawn Oakman tied a career high with 6 tackles and set a career high with 2 sacks.
• Redshirt freshman DE K.J. Smith record his first career sack and had 2 QB hurries.
• DT Andrew Billings had a career high 2 tackles for loss.
• Redshirt freshman LB Taylor Young record his first career sack.
• NT Beau Blackshear tied a career high with 1.5 tackles for loss.
• Redshirt sophomore NT Javonte Magee had a career high 1.5 tackles for loss and his first career half-sack.
• DT Suleiman Masumbuko tied a career high with 1 sack.