Sept. 19, 2008
Final Stats |
CONNECTICUT (4-0) 31, BAYLOR (2-2) 28
RENTSCHLER FIELD • EAST HARTFORD, CONN.
SEPT. 19, 2008 • ATTENDANCE: 38,870
• First-ever football meeting between Baylor and Connecticut.
• Only second meeting between Baylor and Connecticut in any athletic event (men’s basketball; Dec. 28, 1955; Waco, Texas).
• Baylor is 5-4 all-time against current Big East Conference members.
• Baylor’s first game against a Big East member since 1999 (at Boston College), first against a current Big East member since 2001 (South Florida).
• Baylor is 27-41-2 all-time in games played east of the Mississippi River, including a 22-38-2 mark in the regular season.
• Baylor is 38-75-2 all-time in televised games with a 2-8 record on ESPN networks, including an 0-2 mark on ESPN2.
• Baylor is 50-39-6 all-time in non-Saturday, regular-season games.
• Baylor is 20-14-5 all-time when 2-1, including a 12-7-3 mark when 2-1 following a victory and 3-4 when 2-1 with a two-game winning streak.
• Baylor is 122-63-2 all-time in September, including a 21-15 mark on the third weekend of the month and a 7-1 mark on Sept. 19.
• The loss snapped Baylor’s five-game winning streak in non-conference games against unranked opponents.
• Baylor has rushed for 100-plus yards in three straight games for the first time since a five-game run to open the 2005 season.
• LG John Jones made his first career start.
• QB Robert Griffin tied his career high with three touchdown passes.
• Griffin tied his career high with four total touchdowns (three passing, one rushing).
• With 10 on the night, LB Joe Pawelek now has 136 career tackle assists, tying for James Francis (1986-89) for ninth on Baylor’s all-time list.
• Pawelek posted the ninth double-digit tackle game of his career; he has accomplished the feat in all four games this season.
• WR Kendall Wright established career highs with six receptions and 114 receiving yards. He also recorded his first career touchdown reception.
• TE Justin Akers caught two touchdown passes for the second time in his career (Rice, 2007).
• LB Antonio Johnson established a career high with nine tackles.
• S Jeremy Williams tied his career high with eight tackles.
• CB Antareis Bryan’s third-quarter interception was the second of his career.