Skip to main content Skip to footer
Bears Downed By No. 20 Kansas

Oct. 13, 2007

Final Stats |  Quotes |  Notes |  AP Gallery 

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -Todd Reesing threw two touchdown passes and Jake Sharp rushed for 110 yards and another score, leading No. 20 Kansas past BAYLOR 58-10 Saturday in a game delayed more than two hours by lightning and heavy rain.

The victory gave Kansas (6-0, 2-0 Big 12) its first 6-0 record since the 1995 team started 7-0 and avenged one of its most embarrassing losses of 2006.

The Bears (3-4, 0-3), who shocked Kansas last year by coming back from an 18-point deficit for a one-point win, managed only 202 total yards while Kansas rolled up 447. The Jayhawks' pass defense, which last year ranked dead last among major college teams and got torched for 394 yards at BAYLOR, yielded just 154 yards through the air this time.

BAYLOR's Blake Szymanski, who had thrown 15 touchdown passes and averaged 302.5 yards passing his first six games, was only 18 of 33 for 119 yards and three interceptions before getting lifted in the fourth period.

Reesing, in his worst passing day so far in this turnaround season for the Jayhawks, was 14 of 31 for 184 yards, including touchdown strikes of 10 yards to Dezmon Briscoe and 54 yards to Marcus Henry.

Reesing tied the school record with a touchdown pass in his sixth straight games. With 16 touchdown passes for the season, the 5-foot-9 sophomore needs only three more to break the school single-season record.

A heavy thunderstorm with flashing lightning forced a delay of 1 hour, 45 minutes to the start of the game. Then lightning at the end of an 88-yard kickoff return by Kansas' Marcus Herford prompted a 31-minute delay in the first quarter.

The Bears' lone touchdown came on David Gettis' 97-yard kickoff return right after Scott Webb's second field goal had made it 41-3 late in the third quarter.

Gettis shook off a couple of tacklers, got a block and outran his pursuit down the east sideline for the seventh-longest kickoff return in school history.

Kansas, which started the day as one of only 11 unbeaten major college teams, took a 17-3 lead early in the second quarter when Reesing hit Briscoe with a 10-yard scoring strike.

The Bears were held to just 1 yard on their next six plays on offense and the Jayhawks got the ball on the BAYLOR 30 after a short punt. Sharp made it 24-3 with a 4-yard run.

Freshman cornerback Chris Harris intercepted Szymanski's pass on BAYLOR's next play. A 15-yard penalty on the Bears moved the Jayhawks to the 17-yard line and two plays later Brandon McAnderson tiptoed down the right sideline on a 15-yard touchdown run for a 31-3 lead at halftime.

Webb connected from 27, 34 and 35 yards for Kansas. The Jayhawks, who played all four of their nonconference games at home, will leave the state of Kansas next week for the first time all year when they travel to Colorado.

Gettis' 34-yard return of a Kansas kickoff helped set up Caleb Allen's 25-yard field goal in the first quarter but that was the only scoring threat the Bears could mount.

Hereford, as lightning cracked just east of the stadium, took the kickoff after Allen's field goal and went up the middle, breaking free near the 40-yard line and outrunning two would-be tacklers the rest of the way.



Online Store