NR/NR/NR BAYLOR (7-6, 3-6) 31, RV/RV/NR BOISE STATE (10-3, 6-2) 12
CHASE FIELD • PHOENIX, ARIZ.
DEC. 27, 2016 • ATTENDANCE: 33,328
• Baylor appeared in a bowl game for a school-record 7th consecutive season. BU is 12-11 all-time in bowl game, including 4-3 during its current 7-season streak.
• Baylor is 1 of 6 teams currently to appear in a bowl game every year since 2011 and win at least 4 of the 6 bowl games (Boise State, Alabama, Clemson, Texas A&M, Mississippi State).
• Baylor won bowl games in consecutive years for the 3rd time in program history (1985 Liberty Bowl, 1986 Bluebonnet Bowl; 2011 Alamo Bowl, 2012 Holiday Bowl, 2015 Russell Athletic Bowl).
• Baylor has a program record 7 or more wins in a season for the 7th straight season.
• Baylor has now had a 1,000-yard rusher and a 1,000-yard receiver in a program-record 6 straight seasons and 7 times in program history (other was 1983 with WR Gerald McNeil (1,034 yards) and RB Alfred Anderson (1,046 yards)) -- Terence Williams (1,048 rushing yards) and KD Cannon (1,215 receiving yards) extended the streak this season.
• Baylor has rushed for a TD in 41 of its last 42 games and 72 of its last 74 (only exceptions are at Oklahoma State on Nov. 23, 2013 and vs. Kansas State on Nov. 19, 2016).
• In last 56 games BU has just 13 losses, 7 to top 15-ranked teams (and 8 away from home).
• Baylor went 3-4 away from Waco in 2016 and 1-1 in neutral site contests.
• Baylor has won 8 of its last 11 neutral-site games and 20 of its last 29 games played outside of Waco.
• Baylor and Boise State met for the first time. The Bears are now 17-4 all-time against current Mountain West Conference members.
• Baylor is 24-10 in November and December since 2011 (8-2 in Dec.).
• Baylor is 47-3 when allowing less than 35 points since 2010 and 17-24 when allowing 35+ points in that span.
• Baylor has scored in a school-record 125 straight games — the previous school record was 89 games from Dec. 31, 1979 - Oct. 23, 1987.
• Aiavion Edwards, Kyle Fuller, Ryan Reid and K.J. Smith served as team captains vs. Boise State.
• Baylor had a 99-yard TD drive in the 2nd quarter. It was the Bears’ second 99-yard drive of the season, but prior to this year BU hadn’t recorded a 99-yard drive since 2009.
• Baylor has scored at least one TD in 34 of its last 43 quarters.
• Baylor has topped 400 yards of total offense 73 times in 78 games since 2011, which leads the nation.
• Baylor has topped 500 yards of total offense 59 times in 78 games since 2011, which leads the nation.
• Baylor’s 12 points allowed were its fewest in a bowl game since a 10-3 loss to Washington State in the 1994 Alamo Bowl – a span of 8 bowl games.
• Baylor’s defense ended Boise State RB Jeremy McNichols’ FBS-best 24-game streak with at least 1 TD.
• WR KD Cannon (career-high 226 receiving yards, 2nd-most in BU single-game history) and Baylor bowl record) earned Cactus Bowl Offensive MVP as he set the Cactus bowl record for receiving yards, passing a 212-yard effort by Washington State’s Philip Bobo vs. Utah in 1992 -- he passed his own mark of 197 yards vs. Michigan State in 2014 Cotton Bowl.
• Cannon (career-high 1,215 receiving yards on season, 4th-most in BU single-season history) posted his 2nd 1,000-yard receiving season and is 2nd BU player to ever post multiple 1,000-yard seasons (Corey Coleman, 2014-15).
• Cannon (career-high 14 receptions) set the Baylor bowl record for receptions in a game, passing Kendall Wright’s 12-reception game vs. Illinois in the 2010 Texas Bowl – he is tied for 4th in Baylor history with his 3rd double-digit reception game.
• Cannon had his second 200-yard receiving game of the season, pushing his Baylor career record to four 200-yard games.
• Cannon (87 season receptions, 195 career) moved into 3rd on Baylor’s single-season receptions list and 3rd on the career list.
• Cannon (13 season, 27 career touchdown catches) moved into a tie for 3rd on Baylor’s all-time single-season list and tied for 3rd on the career list.
• Cannon (2,124 career receiving yards) is 1 of 9 BU players to have over 2,000 career receiving yards and ranks 8th all-time in program history.
• Cannon’s 2 TD receptions tied the Baylor bowl game record (30 yards & season-long 68 yards).
• Cannon had his 4th 100-yard receiving game of the season and 10th of his career to move into a tie for 6th all-time at Baylor in career 100-yard receiving games.
• Cannon has at least one reception in all 38 career games played, which leads all active Big 12 WRs and is 15th in FBS.
• DE Tyrone Hunt earned Cactus Bowl Defensive MVP as he had 5 tackles and his first 2 career sacks.
• QB Zach Smith made his 4th career start and has thrown for at least 200 yards and 2 TDs in every start.
• Smith’s career-high-tying 3 TD passes (including career-long 68-yard TD) tied the Baylor bowl record (Bryce Petty in 2015 Cotton Bowl vs. Michigan State).
• WR Ishmael Zamora (1 receiving touchdown) notched his 8th TD catch of the season and 10th of his career.
• RB JaMycal Hasty had a 5-yard rushing TD for his 3rd rushing TD of the season.
• RB Terence Williams (1,048 season rushing yards) had his first 1,000-yard rushing season (11th-most in BU single-season history), becoming BU’s 14th 1,000-yard season and 12th player to do so -- his 1,621 career rushing yards rank 18th in program history.
• Williams (103 rushing yards) had his 4th 100-yard rushing game of the season and 6th of his career, which is tied for 8th most in Baylor history.
• NB Travon Blanchard had his 1st interception of the season and 4th of his career for a career-long 14-yard return.
• CB Grayland Arnold had a career-high 9 tackles and career-best 8 solo stops along with his 1st two career TFLs.
• S Orion Stewart had his 6th interception of the season and 12th of his career – he’s tied for 8th on BU’s single-season INT list and tied for 7th on BU’s career list, while also being tied for 9th on the Big 12 career list.
• Stewart also had a career-high 2 TFLs, 1 sack, 1 PBU and recovered his 3rd career fumble.
• LB Taylor Young (career-high-tying 17 tackles) had his 4th 10-tackle game of the season and 2nd straight -- he set the Cactus Bowl record, passing a 15-tackle effort by Minnesota’s Kim Royston vs. Iowa State in 2009.
• CB Ryan Reid (1 PBU) moved into a tie for 8th in career PBUs at Baylor with 28.
• WR Chris Platt had a career-high 6 receptions.
• DE K.J. Smith had his 7th sack of the season to move into a tie for 5th on Baylor’s single-season list and is tied for 10th on the career list.
• DE Greg Roberts forced his 1st career fumble.
• LB Aiavion Edwards (11 tackles) had his 3rd double-digit tackle game of the season and 6th of his career.