|RV/RV BAYLOR (3-1, 0-1) vs. RV/23 TCU (4-1, 1-1)
Oct. 13, 2012 | 6 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Floyd Casey Stadium (50,000)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets | Live Blog | Gameday Central|
Baylor's matchup with TCU will be televised nationally on FSN, marking the ninth consecutive national telecast for the Bears. Dating back to the beginning of the 2011 season, Saturday's game will be the 16th nationally televised contest in a span of 17 games for Baylor.
Baylor enters the weekend ranked among the nation's top two in passing offense (first, 416.5 ypg), total offense (second, 601.5 ypg) and scoring offense (second, 54.3 ppg). Individually, Nick Florence leads the nation in total offense (434.5 ypg) and second in the Big 12 with 396.2 passing ypg, while Terrance Williams leads the nation with 166.75 receiving yards per game. BU is second in the nation averaging 54.25 points per game. Baylor's eight- game streak of 45+ points is the nation's longest active streak, including four games with 59+ points. Baylor is coming off a 63-point explosion at West Virginia; its second-most ever in a conference game (SWC & Big 12). Two Bears demolished BU single game records with Williams 317 yards on 17 receptions, while Florence bested the single-game passing record by more than 100 yards (581). Comparatively, in 2011, BU quarterbacks posted a nation-leading 191.2 pass efficiency rating and the nation's second best total offense at 587.1 yards per game, while averaging a fourth-ranked 45.3 points per game.
THREE STRAIGHT YEARS IN POLLS
After appearing in both polls after its win over ULM, Baylor has now been ranked in three consecutive seasons for first time since 1974 (4 straight weeks to end season), 1975 (one week) and 1976 (one week). This marks the fifth time since the AP poll began in 1936 that the Bears have been rated at least once in three straight seasons, following 1937-38-39; 1947-48-49; 1953-54-55-56-57; 1974-75-76 and current three-season run. Baylor is receiving votes in both polls headed into this weekend's contest vs. TCU.
In one-plus years under defensive coordinator Phil Bennett, Baylor's D has recorded at least one takeaway in 16 of 17 games - a total of 39 takeaways (22 interceptions, 17 fumbles recovered). Twenty-eight of those 39 takeaways have come over the last nine games, an average of more than 3.1 per game (Baylor is 8-1 during that stretch). Overall under Bennett, Baylor is 11-0 when recording two or more takeaways.
REPLACING A HEISMAN WINNER
Baylor quarterback Nick Florence has thrown for more than 300 yards in all four games this season. In the first Big 12 game of 2012, Florence set Baylor's single-game passing record with 581 passing yards and a career-high five TD passes. Florence ranks first nationally in total offense (434.5) and sixth in passing efficiency (175.76). His 396.2 passing ypg ranks second in the Big 12 behind Geno Smith (399.2). Florence is no stranger to replacing Griffin III, starting seven games in 2009 when Griffin was injured and then replacing an injured RG3 in the second half against Texas Tech last season to lead Baylor to a 66-42 win.
Baylor's junior kicker Aaron Jonesscored nine points (nine XP) against West Virginia to extend his lead on Baylor's all-time scoring leader charts with 250 career points. Jones broke the 29-year-old school record of 220 career points by Alfred Anderson (1980-83) during Baylor's game two win over Sam Houston State. Jones broke the all- time scoring record for kickers at Baylor in the season opener, surpassing Terry Syler's (1985-88) career mark of 215 points. Jones also holds all-time school records for PAT kicks made (148) and PAT kicks attempeted (152).
HISTORIC 17-GAME STRETCH
Baylor is 13-4 in last 17 games; its best 17-game stretch since winning last two games of 1984 season, going 9-3 in 1985 and 2-0 to start 1986 season. The `86 team lost its third game to USC, then won two straight to make it 15-5 over 20 games. Baylor's best 18-game run in recent memory was a 14-4 mark from the end of the 1979 season and beginning of 1981.
GROUND BROKEN FOR BAYLOR STADIUM
Baylor and local officials participated in a ceremonial ground-breaking for Baylor Stadium during halftime of the Sam Houston State game. The first 40,000 fans through the turnstiles received complimentary buttons that featured the new on-campus stadium, which will open Aug. 31, 2014, when the Bears host SMU. The Board of Regents voted July 19 to move forward with the construction of Baylor Stadium, a $250 million riverfront stadium and community events complex. The Waco City Council approved on Aug. 7 a $35 million contribution and construction began in August 2012.
• Baylor and TCU will meet for the 108th time on Saturday with all-time series tied at 50-50-7.
• Saturday's game will be 2nd consecutive season the teams have met; 1st with TCU in Big 12.
• Baylor has won 9 straight games at home, tied for the nation's 7th-longest active streak.
• A win Saturday would be Baylor's 10th straight win at Floyd Casey Stadium and set new FCS record.
• Baylor's 8-game streak of 45+ points is nation's longest active streak.
• Baylor is the only DI school that has scored 45 or more points in all of its games this season.
• Baylor is 13-4 in last 17 games; its best run since a 17-game stretch that spanned from 1984-86.
• Baylor has posted more than 500 yards of total offense in 10 consecutive games.
• BU has outscored opponents 72-45 in the 4th quarter this season and 124-80 in 2nd half.
• QB Nick Florence leads the nation in total offense (434.5 ypg).
• Baylor ranks 3rd in the Big 12 and 15th nationally in turnover margin.
• Since Phil Bennett became defensive coordinator, Baylor is 11-0 when recording 2 or more takeaways.
• Baylor has forced a turnover in 16 of 17 games during Bennett's tenure.
• LB Bryce Hager ranks 2nd nationally and 1st in the Big 12 in tackles, averaging 13.5 per game.
• WR Terrance Williams leads the nation with 166.75 receiving ypg.
• WR Lanear Sampson has a current reception streak of 34 straight games.
• 3 of the top 5 tacklers in the Big 12 are Baylor linebackers.
• 6 different Baylor players have recorded an interception this season.
• Baylor's offense has averaged at least 6.0 yards-per-play in each of the last 10 games.
• Baylor's defense ranks 3rd in the Big 12 with an average of 1.5 interceptions per game.
• After recording 0 sacks in the season opener, Baylor has notched 6 in the last 3 games.
• QB Nick Florence is tied for the Big 12 lead with 4 300-yard passing efforts this season.
• Florence is 2nd in the Big 12 and 3rd nationally in pass efficiency with a 177.44 rating.
• Williams set Baylor single-game records with 17 receptions and 314 receiving yards vs. West Virginia.
• QB Nick Florence broke Baylor's single-game passing record with 581 yards vs. West Virginia.
• P Spencer Roth leads the Big 12 in punting at 46.8 yards per punt.
• 9 of the 10 Big 12 teams are ranked or receiving votes in Coaches poll and 8 of 10 in AP poll.
• Baylor has converted on 7 4th down attempts, the 2nd-most in the Big 12.
• Baylor is 20-21 in televised games in the Briles era.