|NR/NR/NR BAYLOR (3-2, 0-2) vs. RV/RV/25 TEXAS (4-2, 1-2)
Oct. 20, 2012 | 7 p.m. CT
Austin, Texas | Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (100,119)
|Watch | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Live Blog | Gameday Central|
Baylor's matchup with Texas will be televised nationally on ABC, marking the 10th consecutive national telecast for the Bears. Dating back to the beginning of the 2011 season, Saturday's game will be the 17th nationally televised contest in a span of 18 games for Baylor.
BAYLOR PROFICIENT THROWING DEEP
Baylor's powerful passing attack thrives on throwing deep balls, evidenced by the fact that the 19 touchdown passes thrown in five games have averaged 35.6 yards (including five of 50 yards or longer). Receiver Tevin Reese has averaged 51.0 yards on four TDs from Nick Florence this season and Terrance Williams has two TDs of longer than 70 yards in 2012. Florence has completed 14 total passes of 40 or more yards this season (8 for TDs) - including six of 50 or more.
BALL SECURITY KEY TO WINS & LOSSES
A prominent barometer during Baylor's wins and losses thus far this season appears to be turnover margin. During its four-game winning streak to open the season, Baylor forced 10 takeaways and lost just four turnovers (all interceptions); a plus-1.5 per-game margin. Conversely, during losses in the last two games, the Bears have forced zero takeaways and have committed seven turnovers (negative-3.5 per-game margin).
FLORENCE + THE MACHINE
Baylor's powerful record-setting offense currently leads the nation in passing offense (398.4 ypg) and ranks second in total offense (567.6 ypg) and fourth in scoring (47.6 ppg). Individually, Nick Florence leads the nation in total offense (404.4 ypg) and is second in the Big 12 with 374.8 passing ypg, while Terrance Williams leads the nation with 166.0 receiving yards per game. Baylor's has scored 45+ points in eight of its last nine games, including four games with 59+ points. In its first Big 12 game of the season, Baylor tallied a 63-point explosion at West Virginia that resulted in 12 offensive records being set or tied, including single-game school records broken by Williams 317 yards on 17 receptions and Florence the single-game passing record by more than 100 yards (581). Comparatively, in 2011, BU quarterbacks posted a nation-leading 191.2 pass efficiency rating and the nation's second best total offense at 587.1 yards per game, while averaging a fourth-ranked 45.3 points per game.
BAYLOR'S QUICK-STRIKE OFFENSE
Baylor's dangerously quick offense has scored four touchdowns this season on one-play scoring drives and totaled 10 TD drives of three plays or fewer. The BU offense, which ranks third nationally in scoring at 47.6 points-per-game, has averaged 1:35 on the season on all scoring drives. More impressive is the fact that 11 drives resulting in touchdowns have taken one minute or less and Baylor has accumulated 19 TD drives of two minutes or less.
THREE STRAIGHT YEARS IN POLLS
After appearing in both polls after its win over ULM, Baylor has now been ranked in three consecutive seasons for first time since 1974 (4 straight weeks to end season), 1975 (one week) and 1976 (one week). This marks the fifth time since the AP poll began in 1936 that the Bears have been rated at least once in three straight seasons, following 1937-38-39; 1947-48-49; 1953-54-55-56-57; 1974-75-76 and current three-season run.
Baylor's defense under coordinator Phil Bennett has demonstrated a knack for making big plays at key moments to contribute to the Bears winning ways over the past two seasons. In one-plus years under defensive coordinator Phil Bennett, Baylor's D has recorded at least one takeaway in 16 of 18 games - a total of 39 takeaways (22 interceptions, 17 fumbles recovered). Twenty-eight of those 39 takeaways have come over the last 10 games, an average of more than 2.8 per game (Baylor is 8-2 during that stretch). Overall under Bennett, Baylor is 11-0 when recording two or more takeaways. In 2012, six different BU defenders have intercepted passes: Ahmad Dixon, Demetri Goodson, Sam Holl, Darius Jones, Eddie Lackey and K.J. Morton.
Baylor's junior kicker Aaron Jones scored three points (three XP) against TCU to extend his lead on Baylor's all-time scoring leader charts with 253 career points. Jones broke the 29-year-old school record of 220 career points by Alfred Anderson (1980-83) during Baylor's game two win over Sam Houston State. Jones broke the alltime scoring record for kickers at Baylor in the season opener, surpassing Terry Syler's (1985-88) career mark of 215 points. Jones also holds all-time school records for PAT kicks made (151) and PAT kicks attempeted (155).
REPLACING A HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER
Baylor quarterback Nick Florence has proven all who doubted his ability to replace legendary Heisman Trophywinner Robert Griffin III wrong by engineering Baylor's prolific offense as impressively as his former teammate. Florence, who leads the nation in total offense with a 404.4 yards-per-game average, has thrown for more than 300 yards in four-of-five games this season. In the first Big 12 game of 2012, Florence set Baylor's single-game passing record with 581 passing yards and a career-high five TD passes vs. West Virginia. Florence ranks second nationally in passing efficiency (176.6) and his 374.8 passing ypg ranks second in the Big 12. Florence is no stranger to replacing Griffin III, starting seven games in 2009 when Griffin was injured and then replacing an injured RG3 in the second half against Texas Tech last season to lead Baylor to a 66-42 win.
Baylor is in the midst of a six-week stretch in which it will play a single home game and four road contests. After defeating Louisiana-Monroe on the road Sept. 21, a loss at No. 9/7 West Virginia Sept. 29, an open date, and then a home loss to TCU, BU travels to Texas Oct. 20 and to Iowa State Oct. 27.
• Baylor and Texas will meet for the 102nd time on Saturday. Texas leads the all-time series 73-24-4, with UT leading 43-9-2 in games played in Austin.
• Baylor's high-octane offense leads the nation in Passing (398.4ypg) and Pass Efficiency (177.6%), ranks 2nd in Total Offense (567.6ypg) and third in Scoring (47.6ppg).
• Baylor has won back-to-back games against Texas; 1st time since 1991-92. The Bears have never won 3 straight over UT.
• Baylor's D has forced 0 turnovers during last 2 games, both losses (1st 2 zero-takeway games under DC Phil Bennett).
• In 3 wins, BU had +6 turnover margin (+1.5/gm); in 2 losses, margin is -7 (-3.5/gm).
• Baylor has totaled 4 1-play TD drives this season (10 TD drives of 3 plays or fewer).
• Baylor's quick-strike offense has scored 11 TDs on drives of 1 minute or less (19 of 2:00 or less).
• Baylor has averaged 35.6 yards on 19 passing TDs this season, including 5 of 50 yards or longer.
• Baylor is 8-for-9 on 4th-down conversions this season, the nation's top percentage among teams with more than 2 attempts (8 successful conversions is tied for league lead in Big 12).
• Baylor has scored 30-plus points in 11-of-last-12 games
• Baylor is 13-5 in last 18 games; its best run since a a 14-4 mark from the end of the 1979 season and beginning of 1981.
• BU is in the midst of a 6-week stretch that includes just 1 home game & 4 road contests (1 open date).
• QB Nick Florence leads the nation in total offense (404.4 ypg), ranks 2nd in the nation in both passing yards (374.8 ypg) and passing efficiency (176.6).
• Since Phil Bennett became defensive coordinator, Baylor is 11-0 when recording 2 or more takeaways.
• Baylor has forced a turnover in 16-of-18 games during Bennett's tenure.
• LB Bryce Hager ranks 3rd nationally and 1st in the Big 12 in tackles, averaging 12.2 per game.
• WR Terrance Williams leads the nation with 166.0 receiving ypg.
• Williams has caught multiple TD passes in four consecutive games.
• 10 of Tevin Reese's 11 career TD catches have been of 40+ yards, including all 4 in 2012. Reese averages 51.9 in 11 career TDs and 51.0 in 4 TDs this season.
• WR Lanear Sampson has a current reception streak of 35 straight games, the 3rd-longest active streak nationally, while IR Tevin Reese is tied for 11th with his reception streak of 28 games.
• 3 BU WRs rank in school's all-time top 11 in both receptions and receiving yards - T. Williams (7th - 142, 4th - 2,332) Reese (11th - 119, 9th - 1,777), and Sampson (8th - 138, 10th - 1,590).
• WR Williams (1st tm) & OL Cyril Richardson (3rd tm) were named 2012 Midseason All-Americans by Phil Steele.
• Baylor has the top 2 tacklers in the Big 12 - LB Bryce Hager (1st, 12.2 tpg) & NB Ahmad Dixon (2nd, 9.6), while LB Eddie Lackey ranks 5th with 8.4.
• Baylor's offense has averaged at least 6.0 yards-per-play in each of the last 11 games (7.9 ypp vs TCU).
• 6 different Baylor players have recorded an interception this season, including Dixon, Lackey, Demetri Goodson, Sam Holl, Darius Jones and K.J. Morton.
• Baylor is 2nd in the Big 12 holding opponents to just 25% on 4th down conversions (2-of-8).
• Florence is 2nd nationally in pass efficiency with a 176.6 rating.
• After his 2 TD performance against TCU, WR Terrance Williams pulled within 7 TDs (23) of tying former Baylor All-American Kendall Wright for Baylor's all-time receiving TDs record (30).
• WR Williams has surpassed the 100-yard receiving mark in 4-of-5 games this season and has 9 career 100-yard games, one shy of tying for 2nd-most in program history.
• Williams' 163 receiving yards vs. TCU was tied for the 16th-most in a single game in school history.
• With 2 touchdown passes in the game, QB Nick Florence moved into sole possession of 10th place on Baylor's career passing touchdowns list (26).
• 6 Baylor players were named 2012 Midseason All-Big 12 by Phil Steele: Cyril Richardson and Terrance Williams (1st tm), Tevin Reese (2nd tm), and Spencer Drango, Nick Florence and Bryce Hager (3rd tm).
• QB Florence moved into 11th place on Baylor's career passing yards list after TCU game (3,866).
• Florence has thrown for 300+ yards in 4-of-5 games this season.
• Florence has completed 14 passes of 40 or more yards this season (8 for TDs) - including 6 of 50 or more.
• DBs Ahmad Dixon and Chance Casey each had career-highs in tackles (13) vs. TCU.
• Baylor's offense has 6 returning starters, all 5 departed 2011 starters were NFL draft picks (QB Robert Griffin III, WR Kendall Wright, RB Terrance Ganaway, C Philip Blake and OG Robert T. Griffin).
• Baylor boasts 4 career 1,000-yard receivers (T. Williams 2,332, Reese 1,777, Sampson 1,590 and Darryl Stonum 1,059).
• Six players on eight major national award watch lists - Nick Florence (Unitas Golden Arm Award), Jordan Najvar (Mackey Award), Tevin Reese (Biletnikoff Award), Cyril Richardson (Rotary Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy), Jarred Salubi (Doak Walker Award) and Terrance Williams (Maxwell Award, Biletnikoff Award).
• Prior to being held to a season-low 21 points against TCU, Baylor had tallied 8 straight in which the Bears scored 45+ points.
• Prior to TCU (432), Baylor had posted more than 500 yards of total offense in 10 consecutive games.
• Baylor is 20-22 in televised games in the Briles era.
• 9 Big 12 teams have been ranked at some point during the season.