|NR/NR/NR BAYLOR (3-3, 0-3) vs. NR/NR/NR IOWA STATE (4-3, 1-3)
Oct. 27, 2012 | 6 p.m. CT
Ames, Iowa | Jack Trice Stadium (55,000)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Live Blog | Gameday Central|
Baylor's matchup with Iowa State will be televised nationally on FSN, marking the 11th consecutive national telecast for the Bears. Dating back to the beginning of the 2011 season, Saturday's game will be the 18th nationally televised contest in a span of 18 games for Baylor. It will also be the fifth game this season televised on the FOX network.
WILLIAMS HAVING HISTORIC STRETCH
Over the last three games, junior WR Terrance Williams has hauled in 30 catches for 660 yards and five touchdowns. The 660 yards over last three contests would rank 22nd nationally alone. The three-game stretch started with a record-setting 17 catch, 314 yard performance at West Virginia. Williams followed up the WVU game with 163 yards and two TDs against TCU. At the time, it was Williams' fourth straight multiple TD performance. Williams continued his hot streak Saturday pulling down 10 catches for 183 yards and one touchdown.
In 6 career road starts, QB Nick Florence has posted four of the top seven yardage totals in road games in program history. As a freshman, Florence threw for a then-school record 427 yards at Missouri, in 2009 to give Baylor its only Big 12 win that season. The 427 yard road performance ranks fourth in program history in passing yards on the road. In all three road games of 2012, Florence has put his name in the record books with stellar passing numbers away from Floyd Casey Stadium. Florence threw for a school record 581 yards (No. 1) and five TDs at West Virginia, while his 352 yard performance at Texas and 351 yards at ULM rank sixth and seventh respectively.
BAYLOR PROFICIENT THROWING DEEP
Baylor's powerful passing attack thrives on throwing deep balls, evidenced by the fact that the 21 touchdown passes thrown in six games have averaged 36.4 yards (including six of 50 yards or longer). Receiver Tevin Reese has averaged 51.0 yards on four TDs from Nick Florence this season and Terrance Williams has three TDs of longer than 70 yards in 2012. Florence has completed 15 total passes of 40 or more yards this season (9 for TDs) - including seven of 50 or more.
CLUTCH AT END OF THE HALF
Baylor K Aaron Jones made a 21-yard field goal at the end of the first half last week vs. Texas. It was the ninth time of his career that Jones connected on a field goal attempt on the last play of 1st half. The junior place kicker also tied his career-high with three field goals to extend his lead on Baylor's all-time scoring leader charts with 267 career points.
BALL SECURITY KEY TO WINS & LOSSES
A prominent barometer during Baylor's wins and losses thus far this season appears to be turnover margin. During its three-game winning streak to open the season, Baylor forced 10 takeaways and lost just four turnovers (all interceptions); a plus-1.5 per-game margin. Conversely, during losses in the last three games, the Bears have forced zero takeaways and have committed nine turnovers (negative-3.0 per-game margin).
FLORENCE + THE MACHINE
Baylor's powerful record-setting offense currently leads the nation in passing offense (390.7 ypg) and ranks third in total offense (574.2 ypg) and in scoring (48.0 ppg). Individually, Nick Florence leads the nation in total offense (407.2 ypg), is second nationally with 371.0 passing ypg and sits third in passing efficiency (172.8). WR Terrance Williams leads the nation with 168.8 receiving yards per game. Baylor's has scored 45+ points in nine of its last 10 games, including four games with 59+ points. Comparatively, in 2011, BU quarterbacks posted a nation-leading 191.2 pass efficiency rating and the nation's second best total offense at 587.1 yards per game, while averaging a fourth-ranked 45.3 points per game.
Baylor's top three tacklers are all linebackers; LB Bryce Hager, NB Ahmad Dixon, and LB Eddie Lackey. Hager ranks fourth nationally and leads the Big 12 with 11.7 tackles per game. Hager also leads the Bears with 37 solo tackles and has led BU in tackles four of six games this season. Dixon sits behind Hager as the Big 12's second-leading tackler with 9.8 stops per game. Lackey is just outside the top 10 in the conference, ranked 12th in the Big 12 with 7.7 tackles per game.
BAYLOR'S QUICK-STRIKE OFFENSE
Baylor's dangerously quick offense has scored five touchdowns this season on one-play scoring drives and totaled 12 TD drives of three plays or fewer. The BU offense, which ranks third nationally in scoring at 48.0 points-per-game, has averaged 1:45 on the season on all scoring drives. More impressive is the fact that 13 drives resulting in touchdowns have taken one minute or less and Baylor has accumulated 22 TD drives of two minutes or less.
• Baylor and Iowa State will meet for the 11th time on Saturday. The all-time series is tied 5-5, with the Cyclones leading 3-2 in games played in Ames.
• Baylor's high-octane offense leads the nation in passing (390.7 ypg) and ranks 3rd nationally in pass efficiency (173.8%), total offense (574.2 ypg) and scoring (48.0 ppg).
• After losing 4 straight to Iowa State from 1997-2004, Baylor has won 3 of the last 4 vs. the Cyclones.
• Baylor's D has forced 0 turnovers during last 3 games, all losses (1st 3 zero-takeaway games under DC Phil Bennett).
• In 3 wins, BU had +6 turnover margin (+1.5/gm); in 3 losses, margin is -9 (-3.0/gm).
• Baylor's offense has averaged at least 6.0 yards-per-play in each of the last 12 games (7.1 ypp vs. UT).
• Baylor has totaled 5 1-play TD drives this season (12 TD drives of 3 plays or fewer).
• Baylor's quick-strike offense has scored 13 TDs on drives of 1 minute or less (22 of 2:00 or less).
• Through 6 games, Baylor has tallied 10 plays over 50 yards, including a season-long 80-yard Terrance Williams TD catch from QB Nick Florence vs. Texas.
• Baylor has averaged 36.4 yards on 21 passing TDs this season, including 6 of 50 yards or longer.
• Baylor is 10-for-11 on 4th-down conversions this season, the nation's top percentage among teams with more than 3 attempts (10 successful conversions leads the Big 12).
• Baylor has scored 45-plus points in 9-of-last-10 games.
• Baylor's 50 points vs. Texas tied for its 8th-most ever in a conference game (SWC or Big 12).
• BU is in the midst of a 6-week stretch that includes just 1 home game & 4 road contests (1 open date).
• Baylor is 2nd in the Big 12 holding opponents to just 22% on 4th down conversions (2-of-9).
• Florence leads the nation in total offense (407.2 ypg), ranks 2nd in the nation in passing yards (371.0 ypg) and 3rd in passing efficiency (172.8).
• Florence ranks 2nd nationally in points responsible for with 24.0 points per game.
• Baylor is 11-0 when recording 2 or more takeaways since Phil Bennett become defensive coordinator.
• LB Bryce Hager ranks 4th nationally and 1st in the Big 12 in tackles, averaging 11.7 per game.
• WR Terrance Williams leads the nation with 168.8 receiving ypg and 21.6 yds per catch and ranks 7th with 7.8 receptions per game.
• Williams has caught a TD in 5 straight games, including multiple TD passes in 4 of those contests.
• With 1,013 receiving yards this season, Williams has 2 of the top 5 single-season receiving yards in program history (5th with 957 yards in 2011).
• 10 of Tevin Reese's 11 career TD catches have been of 40+ yards, including all 4 in 2012. Reese averages 51.9 in 11 career TDs and 51.0 in 4 TDs this season.
• WR Lanear Sampson has a current reception streak of 36 straight games, tied for the 2nd-longest active streak nationally, while IR Tevin Reese is tied for 11th with his reception streak of 29 games.
• Baylor has the top 2 tacklers in the Big 12 - LB Hager (1st, 11.7 tpg) & NB Ahmad Dixon (2nd, 9.8).
• 6 different Baylor players have recorded an interception this season, including Dixon, Eddie Lackey, Demetri Goodson, Sam Holl, Darius Jones and K.J. Morton.
• Both Glasco Martin (85) & Lache Seastrunk (56) tallied career-highs in rushings yards vs. Texas.
• Nick Florence is 3rd nationally in pass efficiency with a 172.8 rating.
• 3 BU WRs rank in school's all-time top 10 in both receptions and receiving yards - Terrance Williams (6th - 152, 4th - 2,515), Tevin Reese (10th - 124, 9th - 1,808) and Lanear Sampson (7th - 144, 10th - 1,660).
• Williams and OL Cyril Richardson were named midseason All-Americans (Williams 1st team by SI.com, Phil Steele & Scout.com; Richardson 2nd team by CBSSports and 3rd team by Phil Steele and Scout.com)
• Williams is 6 TDs (24) away from tying former Baylor All-American Kendall Wright for Baylor's all-time receiving TDs record (30).
• WR Williams has surpassed the 100-yard receiving mark in 5-of-6 games this season and has 10 career 100-yard games, tied for 2nd-most in program history.
• Williams' 183 receiving yards vs. Texas were the 6th-most in a single game in program history.
• Williams has 3 TD receptions of longer than 70 yards this season.
• 6 Baylor players were named 2012 Midseason All-Big 12 by Phil Steele: Cyril Richardson and Terrance Williams (1st tm), Tevin Reese (2nd tm), and Spencer Drango, Nick Florence and Bryce Hager (3rd tm).
• Florence ranks 8th in both Baylor's career passing yards (4,218 yds) and passing TDs lists (28).
• Florence has thrown for 300+ yards in 5-of-6 games this season.
• Florence has completed 15 passes of 40 or more yards this season (9 for TDs) - including 7 of 50 or more.
• K Aaron Jones made 21-yd FG on last play of 1st half vs. Texas; his 9th career FG on last play of 1st half.
• A. Jones made 3 field goals vs. UT, tying his career high; also the most by Baylor in a game this season.
• A. Jones has made 71 consecutive PATs dating back to his last miss (Mizzou - Nov.5, 2011).
• Baylor's offense has 6 returning starters, all 5 departed 2011 starters were NFL draft picks (QB Robert Griffin III, WR Kendall Wright, RB Terrance Ganaway, C Philip Blake and OG Robert T. Griffin).
• Baylor boasts 4 career 1,000-yard receivers (T. Williams 2,515, Reese 1,808, Sampson 1,660 and Darryl Stonum 1,059).
• Six players on eight major national award watch lists - Nick Florence (Unitas Golden Arm Award), Jordan Najvar (Mackey Award), Tevin Reese (Biletnikoff Award), Cyril Richardson (Rotary Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy), Jarred Salubi (Doak Walker Award) and Terrance Williams (Maxwell Award, Biletnikoff Award).
• Baylor is 20-23 in televised games in the Briles era.