|BAYLOR (3-4, 0-4) vs. KANSAS (1-7, 0-5)
Nov. 3, 2012 | 2:30 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Floyd Casey Stadium (50,000)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets | Live Blog | Gameday Central|
Baylor's matchup with Kansas will be televised nationally on FSN, marking the 12th consecutive national telecast for the Bears. Dating back to the beginning of the 2011 season, Saturday's game will be the 19th nationally televised contest in a span of 20 games for Baylor. It will also be the sixth game this season televised on the FOX network.
BAYLOR HOMECOMING HISTORY
Baylor plays its 83rd Homecoming game Saturday, marking the 103rd anniversary of the first Homecoming in 1909. Baylor's Homecoming Parade is the largest in the nation, and Baylor is among the first five schools nationally ever to celebrate homecoming. The Bears held their first homecoming in 1909 and it became an annual event in 1930 when the name was changed from "Good Will Week" to Homecoming. The Bears are 39-39-4 in Homecoming contests, including a 5-11 record in the Big 12 era. Baylor's first Homecoming game was a 6-3 win over TCU in 1909. The Bears played their second Homecoming game in 1915, another win over TCU, 51-0. It was another 16 years until Baylor held another Homecoming game, but a Homecoming game has been held every season since 1930, with the exception of two years during World War II (1943-44), when the Bears didn't field a team. Baylor, which first recognized Homecoming in 1909, is among five universities that were the first to hold Homecoming festivities -- Illinois, Northern Illinois, Indiana and Michigan being the others. Baylor has won two straight Homecoming contests and is 1-0 vs. Kansas on Homecoming, having beaten the Jayhawks 36-35 in 2006.
KANSAS SERIES HISTORY
Saturday is the 12th meeting between Baylor and Kansas in football, the ninth as Big 12 Conference opponents. Baylor leads the all-time series, 7-4, with the Bears holding a perfect 5-0 mark in games played in Waco. The first meeting was a 22-0 Kansas victory at Lawrence, Kan., in 1971. The Bears won the first meeting as Big 12 foes, a 31-24 decision Oct. 10, 1998, in Waco. In their last meeting, Baylor overcame a 24-3 fourth quarter deficit to earn its second straight bowl bid with a 31-30 overtime win.
In seven career road starts, QB Nick Florence has posted five of the top eight yardage totals in road games in program history. As a freshman, Florence threw for a then-school record 427 yards at Missouri, in 2009 to give Baylor its only Big 12 win that season. The 427 yard road performance ranks fourth in program history in passing yards on the road. In all four road games of 2012, Florence has put his name in the record books with stellar passing numbers away from Floyd Casey Stadium. Florence threw for a school record 581 yards (No. 1) and five TDs at West Virginia, while his 426 yard performance, his 352 yards at Texas and 351 yards at ULM rank third, sixth and seventh respectively.
BAYLOR PROFICIENT THROWING DEEP
Baylor's powerful passing attack thrives on throwing deep balls, evidenced by the fact that the 23 touchdown passes thrown in seven games have averaged 35.5 yards (including six of 50 yards or longer). Receiver Tevin Reese has averaged 50.6 yards on five TDs from Nick Florence this season and Terrance Williams has three TDs of longer than 70 yards in 2012. Florence has completed 16 total passes of 40 or more yards this season (10 for TDs) - including seven of 50 or more.
DEEP RECEIVING CORPS LEADS OFFENSIVE ATTACK
Baylor's nation's-best passing attack (395.7 ypg) is powered by a deep, talented corps of receivers led by senior All- America and Biletnikoff and Maxwell Award candidate Terrance Williams. Williams is the national receiving leader with 171.9 yards-per-game and headlines a trio of receivers with more than 1,700 career receiving yards that includes senior Lanear Sampson (who ranks ninth in the Big 12 with 38 catches and 474 yards) and junior and fellow Biletnikoff Award candidate Tevin Reese (585 yards ranks fourth in Big 12). Sampson boasts a 37-game reception streak (Reese owns a 30-game streak). The Baylor receiving corps was rated fifth nationally by Athlon Sports, sixth by ESPN.com and eighth by Phil Steele in the preseason.
Baylor's top three tacklers are all linebackers; LB Bryce Hager, NB Ahmad Dixon, and LB Eddie Lackey. Hager ranks 19th nationally and leads the Big 12 with 10.0 tackles per game. Hager has led BU in tackles four of seven games this season. Dixon sits not too far behind Hager as the Big 12's third-leading tackler with 9.6 stops per game. Lackey also ranks in the top 10 in the conference (eighth) with 8.1 tackles per game.
• Saturday's game marks 103 years since Baylor hosted the nation's first Homecoming in 1909. The Bears are 39- 39-4 all-time in Homecoming games (1-0 vs. Kansas).
• Baylor and Kansas will meet for the 12th time. Baylor leads the all-time series, 7-4, with the Bears holding a perfect 5-0 mark in games played in Waco.
• Baylor's high-octane offense leads the nation in passing (395.7 ypg), ranks 3rd nationally in total offense (569.4 ypg) and ranks 7th in the country in scoring (44.1 ppg) and pass efficiency (167.6%).
• Baylor concluded a 6-week stretch of 4 road games & 1 home game (1 off-week) and went 1-4. 3 of final 5 are at home (1 road, 1 neutral).
• Baylor has won the last 2 matchups vs. Kansas, including last year's dramatic, come-from-behind 31-30 overtime victory in Lawrence.
• After forcing zero turnovers during first 3 Big 12 games, Baylor forced 2 (1 INT, 1 fumble) at Iowa State.
• Baylor lost a game when forcing 2+ turnovers (Iowa State) for 1st time during Bennett's tenure (11-1).
• In 3 wins, BU had +6 turnover margin (+1.5/gm); in 4 losses, margin is -11 (-2.75/gm).
• Baylor's offense has averaged at least 6.0 yards-per-play in each of the last 13 games (6.7 ypp vs. ISU).
• Baylor has totaled 5 1-play TD drives this season (12 TD drives of 3 plays or fewer).
• Baylor's quick-strike offense has scored 14 TDs on drives of 1 minute or less (23 of 2:00 or less).
• Through 7 games, Baylor has tallied 10 plays over 50 yards, including a season-long 80-yard Terrance Williams TD catch from QB Nick Florence vs. Texas.
• Baylor has averaged 35.5 yards on 23 passing TDs this season, including 6 of 50 yards or longer.
• Baylor is 11-for-15 on 4th-down conversions this season, tied for 15th among teams with more than 3 attempts (11 successful conversions leads the Big 12).
• Baylor has scored 45-plus points in 9-of-last-11 games.
• Baylor's 50 points vs. Texas tied for its 8th-most ever in a conference game (SWC or Big 12).
• Baylor is 2nd in the Big 12 holding opponents to just 27% on 4th down conversions (3-of-11).
• In 7 career road starts, Florence has posted 5 of the top 8 passing yardage totals in road games in program history (Mizzou-427yds , ULM-351yds , WVU-581yds , UT-352yds , & ISU-426yds ).
• Florence leads nation in total offense (414.1 ypg) and in passing yards (378.9 ypg), 6th in passing efficiency (166.6).
• Florence ranks 3rd nationally in points responsible for with 22.3 points per game.
• WR Terrance Williams leads the nation with 171.9 receiving ypg and 20.1 yds per catch and ranks 4th with 8.6 receptions per game.
• WR Lanear Sampson has a current reception streak of 37 straight games, tied for the 2nd-longest active streak nationally, while IR Tevin Reese is tied for 11th with his reception streak of 30 games.
• Baylor's Homecoming Parade is the largest in the nation, and Baylor is among the first five schools nationally ever to celebrate homecoming. The Bears held their first homecoming in 1909 and it became an annual event in 1930 when the name was changed from "Good Will Week" to Homecoming.
• Baylor's 2,770 passing yards this season are 7th most in program history and 395.7 per-game average is best all-time.
• Baylor's 23 passing TDs is tied for 3rd best in single season history.
• QB Nick Florence was named a Davey O'Brien Award semifinalist and a Campbell Trophy ("Academic Heisman") finalist.
• WR Terrance Williams has caught a TD in 5 of the last 6 games, including multiple TD passes in 4 of those contests.
• With 190 yards against Iowa State, Williams moved past Reggie Newhouse and into 2nd place in program history in single-season receiving yards with 1,203.
• Williams's 190 receiving yards at ISU were 5th-most in a single-game in program history, and now has 3 of 7 best single-game receiving yardage totals in Baylor history (all this season).
• Williams has 2 of the top 5 single-season receiving yards in program history (5th with 957 yards in 2011).
• LB Bryce Hager ranks 19th nationally and 1st in the Big 12 in tackles, averaging 10.0 per game. Baylor has two of the top 3 tacklers in the Big 12 - LB Hager (1st, 10.0 tpg) & NB Ahmad Dixon (3rd, 9.6).
• 7 different Baylor players have recorded an interception this season, including Dixon, Eddie Lackey, Demetri Goodson, Sam Holl, Darius Jones, K.J. Morton, and Rodney Chadwick.
• Florence is sixth nationally in pass efficiency with a 166.6 rating.
• 3 BU WRs rank in school's all-time top 10 in both receptions and receiving yards - Terrance Williams (4th - 165, 2nd - 2,705), Tevin Reese (10th - 126, 9th - 1,863) and Lanear Sampson (7th - 151, 10th - 1,733).
• 11 of Reese's 12 career TD catches have been of 40+ yards, including all 5 in 2012. Reese averages 51.7 in 12 career TDs and 50.6 in 5 TDs this season.
• Williams and OL Cyril Richardson were named midseason All-Americans (Williams 1st team by SI.com, Phil Steele & Scout.com; Richardson 2nd team by CBSSports and 3rd team by Phil Steele and Scout.com)
• Williams is 6 TDs (24) away from tying former Baylor All-American Kendall Wright for Baylor's all-time receiving TDs record (30).
• WR Williams has surpassed the 100-yard receiving mark in 6-of-7 games this season and has 11 career 100- yard games, 2nd-most in program history.
• Williams has 3 TD receptions of longer than 70 yards this season.
• 6 Baylor players were named 2012 Midseason All-Big 12 by Phil Steele: Cyril Richardson and Terrance Williams (1st tm), Tevin Reese (2nd tm), and Spencer Drango, Nick Florence and Bryce Hager (3rd tm).
• Florence ranks 7th in Baylor history in career passing yards (4,644 yds) and is tied for 5th in passing TDs (30).
• After 426 yards passing vs. Iowa State, Florence moved into 4th place on Baylor's single-season passing yards list (2,652).
• Florence has thrown for 300+ yards in 6-of-7 games this season.
• Florence has completed 16 passes of 40 or more yards this season (10 for TDs) - including 7 of 50 or more.
• K Aaron Jones has made 74 consecutive PATs dating back to his last miss (Mizzou - Nov.5, 2011). School record is 97 straight by Jarvis Van Dyke from 1993-95.