|NR/NR/NR BAYLOR (4-4, 1-4) vs. 14/13/12 OKLAHOMA (1-7, 0-5)
Nov. 10, 2012 | 2:30 p.m. CT
Norman, Okla. | Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (82,112)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Live Blog | Gameday Central|
Baylor's matchup with Oklahoma will be televised nationally on FSN, marking the 13th consecutive national telecast for the Bears. Dating back to the beginning of the 2011 season, Saturday's game will be the 20th nationally televised contest in a span of 21 games for Baylor. It will also be the seventh game this season televised on the FOX network.
OKLAHOMA SERIES HISTORY
This is the 22st meeting between Baylor and Oklahoma with Baylor picking up its first win of the series last year with a dramatic 45-38 win over the Sooners at Floyd Casey Stadium. 2011 Heisman winner Robert Griffin III threw for a then-school record 476 yards and found Terrance Williams from 34 yards out, with eight seconds left to give Baylor its first win over OU. The Sooners have dominated the series, winning all 20 meetings prior to last year's win by the Bears. In 20 wins, The Sooners' margin of victory has been less than 10 points only three times: 28-24 in 1996, 24-23 in 1997 and 37-30 in double overtime in 2005. Baylor and Oklahoma first met Oct. 26, 1901; the Sooners left Waco that day with a 17-6 victory. The teams did not play again until 1973, a 42-14 Oklahoma victory in Waco. The Bears and Sooners met again the following season in Norman with OU winning 28-11. Baylor and Oklahoma met twice more before the inception of the Big 12 in 1996, playing at Norman during the 1984 and 1989 seasons.
In seven career road starts, QB Nick Florence has posted five of the top eight yardage totals in road games in program history. As a freshman, Florence threw for a then-school record 427 yards at Missouri, in 2009 to give Baylor its only Big 12 win that season. The 427 yard road performance ranks fourth in program history in passing yards on the road. In all four road games of 2012, Florence has put his name in the record books with stellar passing numbers away from Floyd Casey Stadium. Florence threw for a school record 581 yards (No. 1) and five TDs at West Virginia, while his 426 yard performance, his 352 yards at Texas and 351 yards at ULM rank third, sixth and seventh respectively.
BAYLOR PROFICIENT THROWING DEEP
Baylor's powerful passing attack thrives on throwing deep balls, evidenced by the fact that the 26 touchdown passes thrown in eight games have averaged 36.9 yards (including seven of 50 yards or longer). Receiver Tevin Reese has averaged 48.8 yards on six TDs from Nick Florence this season and Terrance Williams has three TDs of longer than 70 yards in 2012. Florence has completed 19 total passes of 40 or more yards this season (12 for TDs) - including eight of 50 or more.
DEEP RECEIVING CORPS LEADS OFFENSIVE ATTACK
Baylor's nation's-best passing attack (392.1 ypg) is powered by a deep, talented corps of receivers led by senior All- America and Biletnikoff and Maxwell Award candidate Terrance Williams. Williams is the national receiving leader with 167.5 yards-per-game and headlines a trio of receivers with more than 1,700 career receiving yards that includes senior Lanear Sampson (39 catches for 484 yards) and junior and fellow Biletnikoff Award candidate Tevin Reese (85.2 ypg). Sampson boasts a 38-game reception streak (Reese owns a 31-game streak). The Baylor receiving corps was rated fifth nationally by Athlon Sports, sixth by ESPN.com and eighth by Phil Steele in the preseason.
BALL SECURITY KEY TO WINS & LOSSES
A prominent barometer during Baylor's wins and losses thus far this season appears to be turnover margin. DIn its four wins, Baylor forced 12 takeaways and lost just four turnovers (all interceptions); a plus-2.0 per-game margin. Conversely, during losses in the last four games, the Bears have forced two turnovers and have committed 13 turnovers (negative-2.75 per-game margin).
• Baylor and No. 12 Oklahoma will meet for the 22nd time with Oklahoma leading the all-time series, 20-1. The Sooners hold a perfect 10-0 mark in games played in Norman.
• Baylor won last year's matchup vs. OU, 45-38, in dramatic fashion on a last-minute touchdown pass from Robert Griffin III to Terrance Williams.
• In its Nov. 3 win, the Baylor defense held Kansas to season-lows of: 14 points, 17 first downs, 342 yards (96 passing yds), possession time (29:44).
• Baylor's offensive line has allowed 0 sacks over the last 2 games.
• S Sam Holl has totaled 33 tackles (11.0spg), including 16 solo, over the last 3 games.
• LB Eddie Lackey leads the team w/ 6.5 TFL & has tallied a TFL in 5 of last 6 games.
• Baylor's defense held Kansas to 96 yards passing, the lowest opponent total since BU held Colorado to 75 passing yards in a 3OT road win in 2006.
• Baylor's defense allowed no passing TDs vs. Kansas, the first such occurrence in the last 12 games (since win over Oklahoma in 2011).
• Last week vs. Kansas, Baylor shut out an opponent for an entire half (2nd half) for the first time since Sept. 17, 2011 vs. SFA.
• Baylor's high-octane offense leads the nation in passing (392.1 ypg) and total offense (581.5 ypg), 5th in pass efficiency (167.6%) and 6th in the country in scoring (43.75 ppg).
• After forcing zero turnovers during first 3 Big 12 games, Baylor has forced 4 (3 INTs, 1 fumble) turnovers in last 2 conference games; going 1-1 during that time.
• In 4 wins, BU has had a +8 turnover margin (+2.0/gm); in 4 losses, margin is -11 (-2.75/gm).
• Baylor's offense has averaged at least 6.0 yards-per-play in each of the last 14 games (7.3 ypp vs. KU).
• Baylor has totaled six 1-play TD drives this season (13 TD drives of 3 plays or fewer).
• Baylor's quick-strike offense has scored 15 TDs on drives of 1 minute or less (25 of 2:00 or less). • Thru 8 games, Baylor has tallied 11 plays over 50 yards, including a season-long 80-yard Terrance Williams TD catch from QB Nick Florence vs. Texas.
• For the first time all season, Baylor won the time of possession battle vs. Kansas, 30:16 to 29:44.
• Baylor has averaged 35.9 yards on 26 passing TDs this season, including 7 of 50 yards or longer.
• Baylor is 15-for-19 on 4th-down conversions this season, 6th-best nationally among teams with more than 3 attempts (15 successful conversions leads the Big 12).
• Baylor ranks 4th natioanlly and 1st in Big 12 holding opponents to just 21.4% on 4th down conversions (3-of-14).
• In 7 career road starts, Florence has posted 5 of the top 8 passing yardage totals in road games in program history (Mizzou-427yds , ULM-351yds , WVU-581yds , UT-352yds , & ISU-426yds ).
• Florence leads nation in total offense (412.3 ypg) and in passing yards (377.4 ypg), 9th in passing efficiency (165.5).
• Baylor is 12-1 when forcing 2+ turnovers during Phil Bennett's tenure.
• 8 games into the season, the Baylor offense is climbing its way up the single-season record books. BU has amassed 4,652 yards of total offense (5th all-time), 3,137 passing yards (5th), 26 passings TDs (2nd) and 207 pass completions (10th), in a single-season in BU history.
• Baylor has scored 45-plus points in 9-of-last-12 games.
• Baylor's 4,652 yards of total offense this season are the 5th most in program history.
• Baylor's 26 passing TDs are 2nd best in single season history.
• Baylor had 0 100-yard rushers in the first 7 games this season before Glasco Martin and Lache Seastrunk both topped 100 rushing yards vs. Kansas.
• Baylor has gained 500+ yards in 7 of 8 games this year.
• WR Terrance Williams leads the nation with 167.5 receiving ypg and ranks 4th with 8.8 receptions per game.
• Williams has caught a TD in 6 of last 7 games, including multiple TD passes in 4 of those contests.
• Williams' 1,340 receiving yards this season are 2nd-most in program history and 323 shy of program record.
• Williams has 2 of the top 5 single-season receiving yards in program history (5th with 957 yards in 2011).
• With 11 receptions vs. Kansas, Williams set school record with his 4th double-digit receptions game of season.
• K Aaron Jones has made 79 consecutive PATs dating back to his last miss (Mizzou - Nov.5, 2011). School record is 97 straight by Jarvis Van Dyke from 1993-95.
• LBs Ahmad Dixon and Bryce Hager are tied for 3rd in the Big 12 in tackles, averaging 9.1 per game. Eddie Lackey is 10th in the conference with 7.8 tackles per game
• 7 different Baylor players have recorded an interception this season, including Dixon (2), Lackey, Demetri Goodson, Sam Holl, Darius Jones, K.J. Morton, Rodney Chadwick and Joe Williams.
• WR Lanear Sampson has a current reception streak of 38 straight games, tied for the 2nd-longest active streak nationally, while IR Tevin Reese is tied for 11th with his reception streak of 31 games.
• QB Nick Florence ranks 9th nationally in pass efficiency with a 165.5 rating.
• 3 BU WRs rank in school's all-time top 10 in both receptions and receiving yards - Terrance Williams (3rd - 176, 2nd - 2,842), Tevin Reese (9th - 133, 9th - 1,960) and Lanear Sampson (7th - 152, 10th - 1,743).
• 12 of Reese's 13 career TD catches have been of 40+ yards, including all 6 in 2012.
• Williams and OL Cyril Richardson were named midseason All-Americans (Williams 1st team by SI.com, Phil Steele & Scout.com; Richardson 2nd team by CBSSports and 3rd team by Phil Steele and Scout.com)
• Williams is 5 TDs (25) away from tying former Baylor All-American Kendall Wright for Baylor's all-time receiving TDs record (30).
• WR Williams has surpassed the 100-yard receiving mark in 7-of-8 games this season and has 12 career 100- yard games, 2nd-most in program history.
• Williams has 3 TD receptions of longer than 70 yards this season.
• Florence ranks 2nd nationally in points responsible for with 22.5 points per game.
• Florence ranks 7th in Baylor history in career passing yards (5,011 yds) and 3rd in passing TDs (33).
• After 367 yards passing vs. Kansas, Florence moved into 3rd on Baylor's single-season passing yards list (3,019), 5th in completions (199), 3rd in total offense (3,298) and t-2nd in TD responsibility (30).
• Florence has thrown for 300+ yards in 7-of-8 games this season.
• Florence has completed 19 passes of 40 or more yards this season (12 for TDs) - including 8 of 50 or more.
• Florence is a Davey O'Brien Award semifinalist and a Campbell Trophy ("Academic Heisman") finalist.
• RB Lache Seastrunk rushed for career-high 103 yards on 17 carries vs. Kansas, joining Glasco Martin to give the Bears multiple 100-yd rushers for 1st time since 2011 Alamo Bowl.
• Seastrunk also had 5 receptions for career-high 91 yards and a 13-yard kickoff return, giving him 207 allpurpose yards.
• RB Martin had a career-high 157 yards on 11 carries vs. the Jayhawks, becoming Baylor's first 100-yard rusher this year. The 157 rushing yards are tied for 24th-most in a single game in school history; 8th most in a Big 12 games.