GREENSBORO, Ga. – Baylor men’s golf shot 12-under-par 276 in Monday’s second round at the Linger Longer Invitational, extending their lead to 17 strokes entering Tuesday’s final round at Great Waters Golf Course.
The Bears sit at 26-under 550 through two rounds. No. 4 Baylor is in front of No. 8 Virginia (-9), Alabama (-9), Troy (-8), UNC Greensboro (-6), No. 20 Georgia (-3), No. 43 Kennesaw State (-1), Ohio State (+1), No. 37 Michigan (+2), No. 45 Middle Tennessee (+7), Augusta (+7), Charlotte (+8), Maryland (+8), VCU (+23) and Mercer (+26).
All four of Baylor’s countable scores on Monday were 3-under 69s. Braden Bailey and Matthew Perrine both shot 3-under 69, giving them two-round totals of 8-under 136, tied for third place and four shots back of individual leader Greyson Sigg (-12) of Georgia. Cooper Dossey and Garrett May also shot 3-under 69, with Dossey moving into a tie for eighth place at 6-under 138 and May moving into a tie for 13th place at 4-under 140.
The five players in Baylor’s lineup all made at least four birdies in the second round, with Perrine and May each making four consecutive birdies. May sank a team-high eight birdies on the day, followed by Perrine with six birdies, Dossey and Bailey with five birdies and Shattuck with four birdies. Bailey also made eagle on the 507-yard, par-5 second hole.
• Baylor leads the 15-team field with 51 birdies, six more than any other team.
• The Bears lead the field in par-3 scoring (1-under 2.98), par-4 scoring (1-over 4.01) and par-5 scoring (23-under 4.43).
• Baylor is tied with Augusta for the tournament lead with three eagles.
• Both Garrett May and Matthew Perrine made four consecutive birdies on Monday. May birdied the first four holes and five of his first six, while Perrine birdied his first four holes on the back-9 and five of six after taking the turn.
• Cooper Dossey leads the 84-player field in par-3 scoring at 3-under 2.63.
• Braden Bailey is tied for the tournament lead in par-5 scoring at 8-under 4.00.
• May and Dossey are tied for fifth in par-5 scoring at 6-under 4.25.
• Perrine is tied for second in par-4 scoring at 4-under 3.80.
• May is tied for the tournament lead with 13 birdies, while Bailey is tied for fifth with 12 birdies and Perrine is tied for 12th with 10 birdies.
STAT OF THE DAY
28 – Baylor’s lineup combined for 28 birdies on Tuesday, eight more than the next closest squad in the 15-team field. May led the way with eight birdies across holes No. 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 11, 14 and 18.
Tuesday’s final round is scheduled for tee times beginning at 7:30 a.m. CT from the first and 10th tees. Baylor players are grouped with golfers from Virginia and Alabama and will begin from the first tee at 9:10 a.m. Shattuck is up first, and he’ll be followed in 10-minute intervals by May, Dossey, Perrine and Bailey, respectively. Thornton tees off from No. 10 at 8 a.m. Live scoring is available on www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter and Facebook for updates throughout the season.