OLYMPIA FIELDS, ILL. – Baylor men’s golf is in a three-way tie for first place after Friday’s first round at the Fighting Illini Invitational. The Bears carded an even-par 280 at Olympia Fields Country Club, matching Oklahoma State and Alabama atop the 15-team field.
No. 4 Baylor (E), No. 1 Oklahoma State (E) and No. 19 Alabama (E) lead a field that features 10 of the nation’s top 20 teams in the GCAA Preseason Coaches Poll. No. 16 Texas A&M (+1) is one shot back in fourth place, followed by No. 20 Florida State (+2), No. 5 Illinois (+3), No. 8 USC (+3), No. 12 UNLV (+5), California (+6), North Carolina (+10), No. 14 Stanford (+10), Northwestern (+13), No. 6 Texas (+17), Indiana (+18) and Navy (+22).
Sophomore Cooper Dossey and junior Garrett May led the team and are tied for sixth place individually at 2-under-par 68, four shots back of the lead held by Oklahoma State’s Zach Bauchou (-6). Junior Braden Bailey is tied for 11th place at 1-under 69, while freshman Ryan Grider posted the Bears’ final counting score at 5-over 75 to sit in a tie for 54th place. Senior Matthew Perrine is tied for 64th place at 7-over 77.
• Baylor leads the 15-team field in par-5 scoring average at 7-under 4.30, ranks fifth in par-4 scoring at 11-over 4.18 and 10th in par-3 scoring at 3-over 3.15.
• Baylor’s 58 pars tied the third-most in the field.
• Baylor is tied for fourth in the field with 14 birdies, and four Baylor players made at least three birdies apiece.
• Garrett May is tied for sixth in the field with five birdies in the first round.
• Cooper Dossey is tied for fourth with 14 pars, while Ryan Grider and Braden Bailey are tied for eighth with 13 pars.
• Matthew Perrine, Bailey and Dossey are tied for 16th with three birdies over 18 holes.
• Perrine, Dossey and May are tied for second in par-4 scoring at 2-under 4.00.
• Dossey, May and Bailey are tied for ninth in par-4 scoring at even-par 4.00.
STAT OF THE DAY
7-under – The Bears played the two par-5 holes at a combined 7-under-par, leading the 10-team field in par-5 scoring average at 4.30. BU made three birdies and two pars on No. 1 and four birdies and one par on No. 15. Perrine, Dossey and May birdied both holes, and Bailey birdied No. 15.
The three teams tied for the lead will play together in the final group to tee off from No. 1 for Saturday’s second round. Perrine is up first for BU at 8:45 a.m. CT, and he’ll be followed in nine-minute intervals by Grider, Bailey, May and Dossey, respectively. For live scoring information throughout the tournament, visit www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.